Cargo Trailer Upgrades?

OP
Voyageur

Voyageur

WKR
Sounds like it’s just the thin wall coverings most trailers use. 1/4” paneling. I think mine has some 3/8” or so plywood. Still not really thick enough to mount anything to it. I always mount everything to the steel supports every 16”.

I probably wouldn’t pay anything extra to upgrade the walls, unless it was to make them waterproof. Plywood thick enough to actually use is almost a waste of weight capacity to me.
Thanks, @Titan . That is my line of thought as well. The only thing I can really find on U-ply is that it is used as flooring underlayment.

OP
Voyageur

Voyageur

WKR
One last decision to make on the trailer, steel frame or aluminum frame. Obvious differences are weight and cost. I'm wondering about real world experiences with both?
Thanks.

Titan

WKR
I would say it depends on your needs. If you need more cushion on cargo weight, maybe aluminum is worth the cost. If you don’t plan on running out of capacity I wouldn’t pay more.

OP
Voyageur

Voyageur

WKR
As far as axles go I'm leaning towards straight axles rather than axles with drop. My thinking being I need the added clearance of a straight axle on the rougher roads. Am I understanding this correctly?

As per axles….my Dexter axle is a straight axle. I ordered the unit with the no-charge taller shackles….raises up the trailer height so you should not drag the back end in dips on uneven roads. Clearance under the axle would be the same as with low shackles, but axle clearance is usually not the issue. It is as much as the differentials or more on my tow rigs.

Taller shackles do make a taller step and load height for the RZR etc…burn a good trade off for my use. Also got 15” wheels vs 14”, slight up charge.

Last edited: