Cargo Trailer Camper Build

Birdman88

Lil-Rokslider
I’m getting ready to turn my 14ft cargo trail into a camper. Any of you gone down this road? Does and don't input would be appreciated. Pics of your builds???

Insulation: How thick are you wanting to go?
Comforts: Are you going simple or need a little glam?
Power: Solar systems are pretty easy to put together, but can take up space. Costs can be kept low. (I got some used old panels that still have great output.) Learn a little bit, saves you tons of $$$.
Security: Tough interior security storage could be helpful for regular stuff or valuable stuff.

OP
Birdman88

Birdman88

Lil-Rokslider
Insulation: How thick are you wanting to go?
Comforts: Are you going simple or need a little glam?
Power: Solar systems are pretty easy to put together, but can take up space. Costs can be kept low. (I got some used old panels that still have great output.) Learn a little bit, saves you tons of $$$.
Security: Tough interior security storage could be helpful for regular stuff or valuable stuff.
I’m looking to spray foam it the depth of the square tubing frame. Currently having a house built and hoping to have the insulator spray it for me if I have it ready in time.

Not much comfort. Me the wife and three small kids on weekend trips here and there but mainly hunting focused. Would like to get a 4 wheeler or small side by side to haul in.

Where are you getting the used panels? The wiring and not leaving something out that I would regret later has been the biggest concern.

Where are you getting the used panels? The wiring and not leaving something out that I would regret later has been the biggest concern.

People sell the panels all the time. Either Craigslist or FB Marketplace. It's not hard to wire in/setup at all to be honest. I dipped my toes into solar on a small scale to learn how it all works. You can either buy it all in a package or build it. Building your own allows you to understand better what the whole solar journey is all about. Buying it pre-made makes it easier to just plug-n-play but you might not learn as much about solar.

I learned how to use a multimeter to check the panel output. The old ones are well within the normal range of power output. (FYI: Solar panels are expected to put out 80% of their rated power in most situations) For me I had to modify the old panel connectors to use on my system. I bought cables to run to my solar generator. All done...readings at the solar generator display confirm the panels are working just fine.

NB7

WKR
I’m looking to spray foam it the depth of the square tubing frame.
Depending on the depth of that tubing, you may not need to put that much on. Even a flash-coat will add a lot of insulation and seal everything up, without adding much more weight. Your spray foam guy should be able to steer you right

137buck

Lil-Rokslider
I did a 7x14 a couple of years ago, had it fully insulated, both 12 and 120 volt systems, LED lights throughout. Had a queen bed in the back and had bunks on the one side and I heated it with a buddy heater or a oil filled heater when using the generator. I had one window in the side door and had plans to install one more and a diesel heater in it, but the wife wanted a shitter and a shower, so we bought a travel trailer and the "redneck camper" became more of a storage trailer, so I sold it. But I have been thinking of getting another one and doing it up again and using it for quick weekend trips. What I would do differently, is more windows, insulate the floor with built in storage and add solar.

Hit the roof with spray foam too! Paint it white after if the foam isnt white and it will keep it very bright in their with the lights on. Also having that roof insulated makes a world of difference on cold nights!

We have a 7x14 Vnose and we went pretty basic. We have 2 roof vents and then the regular side vents. Two roof are nice to have when it's warm.
We went basic built bunks in the back that can fold down once on sight and be up when traveling so you can have a SxS or four wheelers back there. We wired LED flood lights inside pointed at the ceiling and two led flood lights outside as well. Real handy to have the porch light on while cooking outside or anything like that. A deep cycle battery powers everything and we have a 100w solar panel that we drop a cord through a small hole in the floor to hook up once there. It keeps the battery topped off as the LED lights done draw much. We built shelving into the V of the trailer which is great for storing gear while traveling.

Our one splurge was we bought sleeper cap mattresses and and had a waterproof cover made for them! Beats the hell out of a cot or foam pad any day!

It's great for 2 people workable for 3 adults but tight.

Also use that search button up top. Lots of threads on this with pics! Here's one for you.

Last edited:
Here mine. Honestly not sure I love it. Seems crammed and absolutely tanked my mileage.
It was already insulated. And wired, I upgraded the lights, had the table and shelf built.
Idk why every one is so obsessed with solar, wtf are you running. Mine has a cheap basic car battery, I ran a shore power and a sota rv style battery maintainer, and put in the blue sea usb panel for charging phones etc.

I've used it multiple 14 day trip, hot and down to neg 12 and never ran the battery dead. Id maybe hook up my generator mid trip and run it for a few hrs. But I do move often so I guess the truck was charging it.

If I keep it I'm probably gonna strip it and spray foam.
The floor definitely needs insulation but I can't figure out how to protect it.
Just spray foam it and let whatever is gonna happen happen?
I'm gonna change the bed around as well into something that breaks down easier.
20220805_110818.jpg20220805_110840.jpg20220805_110908.jpg

137buck

Lil-Rokslider
Here mine. Honestly not sure I love it. Seems crammed and absolutely tanked my mileage.
It was already insulated. And wired, I upgraded the lights, had the table and shelf built.
Idk why every one is so obsessed with solar, wtf are you running. Mine has a cheap basic car battery, I ran a shore power and a sota rv style battery maintainer, and put in the blue sea usb panel for charging phones etc.

I've used it multiple 14 day trip, hot and down to neg 12 and never ran the battery dead. Id maybe hook up my generator mid trip and run it for a few hrs. But I do move often so I guess the truck was charging it.

View attachment 489235View attachment 489236View attachment 489237

For the floor, a friend of mine did this, he went and bought 1/2" marine grade plywood, and attached it to the bottom of the frame, then pulled up the plywood floor and spray foamed it from inside. That's where I got my idea for my next one to put in floor storage, and to do the same as him for floor insulation.

For the floor, a friend of mine did this, he went and bought 1/2" marine grade plywood, and attached it to the bottom of the frame, then pulled up the plywood floor and spray foamed it from inside. That's where I got my idea for my next one to put in floor storage, and to do the same as him for floor insulation.
Mine is all aluminum.

wesfromky

WKR
One thing to keep in mind with the DIY route - there are some campgrounds that will not allow them. Not sure how common it is, but it is something to think about if you are going to use it for other trips.

OP
Birdman88

Birdman88

Lil-Rokslider

I like the simplicity for sure. Just looking for something to get out of the elements when needed.

I’ve been wondering about floor insulation as well. Closed cell foam like the do in metal shops may be the way to go. Stuff get hard as hell.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here is ours. It’s been great. I would put the electrical, or at least main shutoff closer to the door. We’ve since insulated the ceiling, put a mini fridge in the front under the counter. Doing it again we would and May still add cabinet doors under the counter to help hide and keep things more secure.

I would still do the bed the same way, even if you didn’t plan to stay up there. The storage is very nice.

Never built a utlx trailer into a camper, but I used to be in the camper business. Here’s my Suggestions
insulation
lots of lighting individually controllable. LEDs use very little power and you can always turn off what you’re not using.
crank-up vent on top
if you have room, 10-15 sq feet of counter space, can be foldable or even folding table.
storage high and low
bed that’s fixed or very quick to deploy. Nothings worse than driving all day and then having to spend 45 minutes getting the bed ready.
an awning or pop up
Don’t forget outside lighting. Very very important
if you use a generator you don’t necessarily need solar. Sollers nice if you’re gonna park at some place for a long time and don’t want to run a generator. Battery back ups really nice so you can run the lights at night without a lot of noise.

Not at all like a utlx trailer but here’s what I built for summer trips a few years ago. I don’t use it for hunting because it’s too small to really get in out of the weather. We have a 10 foot square pop up that we usually deploy, and a couple folding tables that live on top of the bed.

but here’s the pluses.
outside lighting over the kitchen
appliances are very simple maybe even crude, but there nothing that will break.
cooler is non powered 80 quart Coleman
stove is just a Coleman 2 burner propane ( sitting on the picnic table)
water is a 7 gallon plastic jug with spigot that lives in a dedicated drawer ( no plumbing, convenient but simple and cheap)
sink is an old turkey roasting pan shoved under the water container drawer.
BTW I forgot outside lighting by the doors. Dammit!! I even bought the fixtures and forgot to wire for them.
Electrical needs are very minimal. Four small inside LEDs and the two over the galley. I didn’t want to mess with solar. Instead of solar I bought one of those 12 volt jump starter packs and took the jump cables off. It has a cigarette lighter output, so I just plug the whole trailer into that. I have a selector switch where I can run The trailer off the truck if it’s hooked up, or just the battery. It has a 7.5 amp hour battery and I get 5-6 nights out of it, maybe 7 if I’m miserly.

9261D7C5-50C6-42D9-A786-173F33E48B82.jpeg
441C99B2-E98A-473B-B558-0E9B23182662.jpeg