Carbon Monoxide - Stoves in Tents

DIY

WKR
Any safety precautions with these stoves with having a enclosure around them? is this a issue ever?

I have never had an issue with it and have never heard of anyone having any problems.

I grew up in a home with a wood fired stove, had wall tents with wood heat and a tepee with wood heat and never had a problem.

Just don't have a herd of elk knock your tent over in the middle of the night with a fire going. :)

SDHNTR

WKR
Of course no one has had an issue with it, or they wouldn't be here. It's an odorless gas and gives off no warning. By the time you'd know you had a "problem" you'd be dead. Co scares the hell out of me! A guy I know had his own son die of it while sleeping in the cabin of a boat. Kid went into the berth to take a nap and never woke up. Call me crazy but I always have a Co alarm in my tent when I run the stove, and I have two in my trailer for the heater. Not taking any chances. I've never had an alarm go off but I sure have more peace of mind.

Lawnboi

WKR
There are a few signs if your taking in some co, do some research if your scared.

I havnt had a problem. Keep your tent ventilated like you should anyways.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Co displaces oxygen and is heavier and basically fills from the bottom up. I've never had a problem but have heard of people leaving the propane stove on all night and poisoning themselves. I don't worry about it enough to carry a detector but I also realize in some conditions it could be a problem

maverick

Lil-Rokslider
Wood stoves shouldn't be an issue except for burning down the tent. I'm sure its happened before. If using propane make sure its a catalytic type like the Buddy heaters if you plan on leaving it on all night. Most of those type have a CO sensor in them and should shut off if detected. We usually leave a window partially open either way for some air flow.