Cap pack or decked system?

colersu22

WKR
With having access to a few different trailers now I decided to keep the canopy on my F350 full time. I would like to add some sort of organization to the bed and have been looking at the decked system and the cap pack or leer locker.

What do you think if you have one of these systems installed and are you happy with it? Would you purchase again?

Thanks,

Chris

I have had a cap pack for five years now, it is awesome. Stuff stays clean, stuff stays accessible, nobody knows it is there, and it is a smooth ride. Comes out real easy too when furniture is purchased.

Decked system is perfect with a cap. I built one for $350
566845f008dce70037f60d810594189f.jpg

8bae5a94b397549baa303711cece7dcf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Decked system is perfect with a cap. I built one for $350
566845f008dce70037f60d810594189f.jpg

8bae5a94b397549baa303711cece7dcf.jpg

This is another option and way less than the decked even with lumber prices. One thing I like about building my own is I can make it a little shorter than the 12” that the decked storage is to keep more room for gear.

I have had a cap pack for five years now, it is awesome. Stuff stays clean, stuff stays accessible, nobody knows it is there, and it is a smooth ride. Comes out real easy too when furniture is purchased.
I do like it is overhead and the videos I have watched make it look easy to remove and keep the frame installed.

Would you be able to measure how tall the cap pack is sndmn11? If I go that route I might get the 50” version since my canopy has the fold down window but I still need to measure and verify the fit because I would prefer the 60” cap pack if I go that route.

from the bottom of the drawer to the roof?

I do like it is overhead and the videos I have watched make it look easy to remove and keep the frame installed.

Would you be able to measure how tall the cap pack is sndmn11? If I go that route I might get the 50” version since my canopy has the fold down window but I still need to measure and verify the fit because I would prefer the 60” cap pack if I go that route.

That would be perfect, I wasn’t seeing that dimension on the cap pack site.
If I dont post by lunchtime tomorrow, remind me. Off-hand, I think you need to plan on 1' to 1.5' clearance because it hangs down and the drawer is about 6" deep. It also kind of drops down on the tailgate side when you open it up so that angle is carrier to the cab side. In other words, you can't stack totes up tight to the bottom and still have access to the drawer.

Mine is 8.5" from the interior of the shell roof to the bottom of the drawer. Again, the tailgate side of the drawer drops down to roll out, so you need to account for some more room for usability.

This is another option and way less than the decked even with lumber prices. One thing I like about building my own is I can make it a little shorter than the 12” that the decked storage is to keep more room for gear.

Agreed. I used 1x8's for the drawers so they are a little shallower than decked but wider.

I wish I could have drawers as well. I have a used shell and it leaks up on the cab side, that could probably be fixed with a new weather seal thing. So, I haven't made my own decked type system because I think it would be a sure fire way to get some moldy stuff going on.

Thanks guys, I wish I could get my hands on both to compare them. My father in law had a decked in his f150 when he bought it but took it out and sold it almost immediately so I never really messed with it. I have been leaning towards the cap pack and will probably go that route just not a lot of reviews on it vs the decked. I do like how the cap pack is half the price and doesn’t take up as much room but the big drawers would be nice for outdoors and work where I think the cap pack would be more of an outdoors benefit.

I wish I could have drawers as well. I have a used shell and it leaks up on the cab side, that could probably be fixed with a new weather seal thing. So, I haven't made my own decked type system because I think it would be a sure fire way to get some moldy stuff going on.
I got my canopy used and it was good until the first time I took it off and put it back on and then I had a small leak at the front of the canopy. I bought some rubber canopy seal from Amazon and when I put it on I was good to go and no leaks. I think it was around $35 so worth giving a try to keep yours sealed and leak free.

It’s easy to build your own. Pro tip if you have wood on wood for the drawer, use furniture finishing wax on the bottom and you don’t have to put hardware.
25A480FA-E6F4-466C-8B5B-DEB788AA8ED8.jpeg

I have the decked with an ARE MX cap. The raised height of the MX cap regains about half of the height of the decked. F150 SuperCrew

705E451D-E5BA-490F-8321-A1C74373229B.jpeg289B28F4-D9EC-4F47-96B9-9A2E1B6CB9C7.jpegCDFA7649-CA1A-4378-B555-249D15BEBB2F.jpeg

Cost me $500 to build out of 3/4” plywood with lumber prices, and about 24 hours of work using just a circular saw for cutting. Very nice to be able to keep all gear organized and secure in the truck and still be able to have a sleeping platform. Drawers sit as high as my wheel wells so it’s a 10 1/2”x21 1/2”x 75” drawer so a lot more space than the decked system. That being said, the waterproof decked drawers would be nice bc I had some water get in from the weep holes in the windows and I had to pull everything out and dry the drawers in the sun so it wouldn’t get moldy. Just important to make sure your cap is water tight.

For you guys that built your own decked what did you use for rails/slides?

I bought a an outdoor rug for $20 and cut it to fit to use as a bed rug. Then on the bottom of the drawers I glued the round furniture sliders designed to put on furniture legs to make them slide easier. It works great, the drawers slide very easily

Back