Can't make a decision

choovhntr

WKR
Alright so like so many other people on this forum, I can't pick which kifaru pack to get. Pretty sold on the duplex frame and now it comes down to pack. Spoke with Aaron on the phone a few months back and had it narrowed down to a dt 2 or 1. I can't thank home enough by the way. Then they came out with the new ones. Now I feel bad calling him back because I know how busy he is. I know I can't go wrong with any but have a few questions for those of you who have run the timberlines. Does mounting the rifle on the side of a timberline and lashing it down a make for a pain when packing. I've carried rifles this way before without a problem, but would it be better in the rambler? I'm mostly a bow hunter but sometime take the rifle out? Also how comfortable is the gun bearer? Worthwhile purchase or no? Mounting a bow to the dt1/2? is it a pain to get to the outside pockets with the bow mounted? Compressibility of the timberline 1? Will it get as tight as a rambler or T2 or rambler? And finally carrying meat. If I wanted to put the meat between the frame and main bag is it a hassle with the timberlines, Or is it pretty easy? As you can see I'm weighing my options between the rambler and timberline series. I could probably care less about the rifle scabbard but may be nice for arrow box or really long hike with a rifle. Like the smaller size of the rambler for day hunts but can see myself almost building what the timberline already is with extra pockets for a lot more money. Love the meat shelf idea but if I can do it fairly easily with a timberline, then the extra cubic inches may be nice? Right now I'm looking at hunting out of a pack for a week tops. Mostly a few days at a time. Hoping to grow into longer trips though as time goes on. Any info is much appreciated and sorry for the long post.
Thanks
Clayton

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Short answers. Strapping a rifle and bow to a T1 is easy. Gun bearer is sweet and well worth it. T1 compresses very small. Can't go wrong with it. IMO. I put the meat inside the bag, not between the bag and frame.

ridgefire

WKR
I have the bt2 and the bag size is about perfect for day or multiple day hunts. I also put my meat right in the bag so can't comment there. I could go for a week fairly easy with the t2 bag.

Nuke Man

WKR
I went through the same ordeal. I finally decided on the mountain warrior. After going through and adding up all the add ones I would want with the rambler it was pretty high. Now had I already had a Kifaru set up that I could pull from, the rambler would be a great second pack. It was just too high of an initial purchase for me. My warrior ships next week and I am stoked to see what all the fuss is about!

wpwarren

FNG
I can't comment on the kifaru bags, but the gunbearer is one of my favorite pieces of gear. It is comfortable to carry my heavy rife and is quick and quiet to release the gun and get it on target.

Beastmode

WKR
Short answers. Strapping a rifle and bow to a T1 is easy. Gun bearer is sweet and well worth it. T1 compresses very small. Can't go wrong with it. IMO. I put the meat inside the bag, not between the bag and frame.
X2 still a great pack that I will always recommend. For the few ounces it costs you to have an extra 2000 ci over the dt2 I personally think it's worth it.

Stid2677

WKR
I have sevral Kifaru packs, Long Hunter, KU5200, Timberline and EMRII, hands down my EMRII is my favorite. While the size may seem huge to some, it compresses down so well that when not used the size is no larger than packs in the 3k range. When you start adding several pockets and pouches anyy pack will soon weigh more than an EMRII and will not have half the flexibility the large pockets, wings and center zip make loading and accessing unparalleled.

I run a gunbearer and use it 2 ways, when the threat is low I tilt it pack and use my pack compression straps to hold it against my pack, when I need to have m rifle at hand, I swing my rifle into the forward carry mode, simply awesome piece of kit.

This is my Timberline when I was using 2 GBs and now I just use one.

P9050121_zps72c5f427.jpg

EMRII rear carr.

P8130225_zps80465bbc.jpg

Forward carry

P8080181-2.jpg

Don't worry about calling Aron back and discussing new/different ideas. He's a pretty good dude that doesn't mind talking gear.

I had a T1 for a short time and really liked it. Running an EMR2 now and don't think I'll ever sell it. Great for day hunts or blown out to carry everything I own if I had to. I do have a Rambler on the way for my sons bikini (and a 2nd pack for my set up). My plans to use it for very short trips or when I know I'm hanging stands or pulling them at the end of season.

I've always been a bigger is better kind of guy and the emr2 fits that role for me. The rambler will be more novelty and trips where in gonna want to use the meat shelf cargo panel feature to sandwich weird objects for the trip in or out. Hope that rambling makes sense. Bill

Jimbob

WKR
Here's my thought process

1. go bigger, it can always be compressed down. Even if I use 4000 ci 90% of the time I will be happy for the extra 3000 ci when that 10% comes up
2. meat in bag is better than between frame. I don't have personal experience with meat between frame but guys that pack out 10+ animals a year seem to have the general consensus that in bag is better. I'll take their word for it. This means a bigger bag will help when its time to pack meat.
3. Pretty much any pack design will allow a bow or gun to be attached to it. I can figure this part out after I buy the pack. So not really taken into consideration when looking at a pack

Boddy1

FNG

I would agree with what Brock said. Timberline is very versatile. Putting the meat in the bag is the way to go. I always carry my bow (you just never know when you're going to need it) so I can't speak to how it would interfere with the pockets. Oh and smart decision on the Duplex frame you won't be disappointed.

Absolutely love my EMR II. Was originally sold on T1 but am glad to have gone the route I did. As Stid2677 stated, there is a lot of pack there but it compresses down great. I would also suggest calling Aron back. He is the pack guru and I would take his advice any day of the week.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
EMR 2 is the best packbag I have used. The ability to load and strap bulky items quickly and even haul meat without having to put it in the main bag but rather on the outside of the bag makes it fast and not loading and unload the bag or dealing with a silly meat shelf. Simply X the top lid and then snug up with the 3 compression straps and you are good to go.

I did the meat shelf thing once and that was enough to let me know I'd rather put it in the main bag. But the EMR 2 allow you to not have to even put it in the main bag so that is pretty sweet. Putting tent and sleeing pad/quilt and clothing in the bottom of the main bag of the EMR 2 then setting the meat on top of that but on the outside of the bag keeps the weight where it should be but still right on the frame. The rest of the gear goes in the wings, lid, belt pouch, or put the tent on the outside of the sleeping bag compartment.

Packing camp and half a mountain goat off the mountain: (I think Aron said this was the first animal packed out in a EMR 2 as this was March 3rd 2014 ;) )

Still makes me cringe seeing those crampons next to my Hilleberg ;) Could have put those in a better locale :)

As for rifle carry I use a bit different setup, most people either love or hate the gun bearer, or me I can't warm up to it and I have tried so I use a bit different system that still allows for quick access without having to take the pack off, but the rifle isn't out in front of me.

In fact I liked how the EMR 2 strapped stuff down so quickly and the layout I bought one for my wife for Christmas. Yup it weighs a bit more than the 7K highcamp but the functionality makes it more than worth it.

Rizzy

WKR
Gunbearer is a must have. I used the top piece of the gun bearer to hold my Bugle tube for last seasons archery hunts. ;)

I think the Rambler will be to small for multi-day or longer hunts. It's more of a daypack setup.

I would also recommend the EMR2 over the other options, unless of course you come across a used timberline for a great price.

dotman

WKR
Alright so like so many other people on this forum, I can't pick which kifaru pack to get. Pretty sold on the duplex frame and now it comes down to pack. Spoke with Aaron on the phone a few months back and had it narrowed down to a dt 2 or 1. I can't thank home enough by the way. Then they came out with the new ones. Now I feel bad calling him back because I know how busy he is. I know I can't go wrong with any but have a few questions for those of you who have run the timberlines. Does mounting the rifle on the side of a timberline and lashing it down a make for a pain when packing. I've carried rifles this way before without a problem, but would it be better in the rambler? I'm mostly a bow hunter but sometime take the rifle out? Also how comfortable is the gun bearer? Worthwhile purchase or no? Mounting a bow to the dt1/2? is it a pain to get to the outside pockets with the bow mounted? Compressibility of the timberline 1? Will it get as tight as a rambler or T2 or rambler? And finally carrying meat. If I wanted to put the meat between the frame and main bag is it a hassle with the timberlines, Or is it pretty easy? As you can see I'm weighing my options between the rambler and timberline series. I could probably care less about the rifle scabbard but may be nice for arrow box or really long hike with a rifle. Like the smaller size of the rambler for day hunts but can see myself almost building what the timberline already is with extra pockets for a lot more money. Love the meat shelf idea but if I can do it fairly easily with a timberline, then the extra cubic inches may be nice? Right now I'm looking at hunting out of a pack for a week tops. Mostly a few days at a time. Hoping to grow into longer trips though as time goes on. Any info is much appreciated and sorry for the long post.
Thanks
Clayton

You should call him, think he is going nuts being in quarantine.

KMT

WKR
I have the DT2 and it's plenty big enough for me. It will holds all the boned out meat that I can carry. That being said, every pack will compress well when empty. If you want a bigger pack, go for the DT1.