Canoe options?

I am in the market for a canoe. I’m not interested in spending $1K-$2K on a high end canoe but I am looking for something durable that can fit three people. Three people would be myself and two young boys (6 and 3). It would be used for some general paddling and fishing with the kiddos and duck hunting myself maybe with a buddy. I don’t want a kayak because I don’t want a kayak and a canoe even though a kayak would definitely be more manageable solo. The two main options I see are the Old Town Saranac 146 and the Pelican Dakota 15. The waters we would be on sometimes get a little rocky but nothing too hardcore. Any thoughts or insight would be appreciated. Or please let me know if there is some other option to look at.

Billogna

Lil-Rokslider
Old Town "Discovery" 169 is a great canoe that can be had used in great shape for around $500. Sometimes cheaper. They're a little on the heavy side but very durable and maneuverable in a lot of different water types: lakes, rivers etc.

Edit to add: This was my 100th post. I'm officially a WKR now....

edited again to correct the model of canoe... ...

Last edited:
It's hard to beat a 17' aluminum canoe. It isn't too big to handle solo and gives plenty of room for your growing boys. They are tough as nails too. They can be had for a couple hundred bucks on marketplace or craigslist. The only downside is they can be loud clanking a paddle or gear around in them.

I second aluminum canoe. Usually can find a boy scout or 4h or summer camp selling old ones for a few hundred. Some closed cell foam mats (old workout or sleeping mats) lining the bottom helps keep some of the noise from thumping or dropping something in the bottom down.

okcaveman

FNG
I'd 2nd the rec of looking at the used market. You can find really good deals sometimes. But, as has been said, aluminum is a tank. As long as you don't wrap it around a rock/tree they are almost indestructible

Wrench

WKR
My buddy picked up this Helman last summer. It's Kevlar and incredibly light and well mannered. IMG_8243.jpg

OP
M
Old Town Guide 169 is a great canoe that can be had used in great shape for around $500. Sometimes cheaper. They're a little on the heavy side but very durable and maneuverable in a lot of different water types: lakes, rivers etc.

Edit to add: This was my 100th post. I'm officially a WKR now....
Congrats! And thank you for the input.

OP
M
As far as aluminum canoes go on the used market, anything other than obvious holes that I should look at before purchasing that could be a red flag or something? I do see a lot of em on the marketplace/Craigslist but they seem well used. Don’t really know how to gauge the amount of life left in em.

Pn8hall

WKR
I have spent lots of river days in an Old Town Discovery 169. They are the classic outfitter boat around here because they are so tough and the payload capacity is high. I would go as big as you can on length. Those kids are just gonna keep getting bigger and its pretty easy to fill up a 14ft canoe with gear. I currently own an Old Town Discovery 174 which is not as common but its been bomber for me.

OP
M
I have spent lots of river days in an Old Town Discovery 169. They are the classic outfitter boat around here because they are so tough and the payload capacity is high. I would go as big as you can on length. Those kids are just gonna keep getting bigger and its pretty easy to fill up a 14ft canoe with gear. I currently own an Old Town Discovery 174 which is not as common but its been bomber for me.
Appreciate the advice!

As far as aluminum canoes go on the used market, anything other than obvious holes that I should look at before purchasing that could be a red flag or something? I do see a lot of em on the marketplace/Craigslist but they seem well used. Don’t really know how to gauge the amount of life left in em.
Only thing besides obvious holes I would look for are places that seem kind of crinkled, like someone tried to straighten out a big dent. Think bad body work on a car. It can be a spot of weakness and possibly for holes to develop. Most aluminum canoes I've been in are riveted. Hard to tell in pictures but if you find one promising enough to see in person, look for loose or missing rivets or lots of shiny new rivets
If you search long enough you'll find a good one.

Good luck in the search!

DuckDogDr

WKR
Recently hunted out of a Radisson canoe.. if I needed another boat.. I would buy in a heart beat
I think it may be out of your price range . But aluminum. Super lightweight, very well mannered and foam filled on bottom for sound deadening and floatation

*zap*

WKR
Hard to go wrong with a used aluminum canoe for a few hundred. You can always upgrade. I have a 17' osage. Load and paddle alone with no issues. Best way to load a canoe on a rack is bottom down. Mine goes on my cherokee.

If you're not.going to Portage much get a aluminum. Royal x are nice wenonah are even better but probably expensive and wont take the abuse that a aluminum would. Buddies and I would do a float may 5th when we were I college hit some nasty after a few to many and sunk a aluminum canoe in the shagawa river in ely. Was able to yard it out of the rocks and continue the float to our house in winton. Couple dings in it but nothing a hammer couldnt fix.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Best canoe I ever owned was a 12' sportspal. I loved that canoe, but after 50 years of use, it eventually turned into a wrinkled beer can lol

The old town is very nice, its just a bit heavy for me by myself to use.