Canning Your Wild-Game Meat (how-to + recipe)

Kobuk

Lil-Rokslider
I made a couple meals and canned them for our rv trip and it came out great. I guess it's called a hot pack when you add it to the jars hot. I want to try a couple of just meat packs next time too. It was a lot of work when you cook the dish and then can it afterwards. Not hard but time consuming. I made one of Hank Shaw's chili which was awesome and a good spaghetti sauce.

I made a couple meals and canned them for our rv trip and it came out great. I guess it's called a hot pack when you add it to the jars hot. I want to try a couple of just meat packs next time too. It was a lot of work when you cook the dish and then can it afterwards. Not hard but time consuming. I made one of Hank Shaw's chili which was awesome and a good spaghetti sauce.
We do just the meat cold packed and 1 tsp beef bullion, however you spell that. Super easy very little effort and can use it in so many ways. At fish camp last weekend we popped open a jar poured out the liquid and squirted in BBQ sauce, shredded it with a butter knife and had chopped BBQ sammiches in camp.

Kobuk

Lil-Rokslider
We do just the meat cold packed and 1 tsp beef bullion, however you spell that. Super easy very little effort and can use it in so many ways. At fish camp last weekend we popped open a jar poured out the liquid and squirted in BBQ sauce, shredded it with a butter knife and had chopped BBQ sammiches in camp.
Sounds like a fun camp meal! I want to try some moose and bear. Black bear is so mild and moist, I think it would do great canned. Fish Camp is a common term up here, I'm not sure I've ever heard it used before in the lower 48. Bonus points! haha

Sounds like a fun camp meal! I want to try some moose and bear. Black bear is so mild and moist, I think it would do great canned. Fish Camp is a common term up here, I'm not sure I've ever heard it used before in the lower 48. Bonus points! haha
Haha yeah it's a bit unique down here, but it's quite literally a camp built on a barrier island for fishing so it fits!

Kobuk

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone use retort pouches? I use them instead of jars for canning tuna.
I haven't but it sounds interesting. I guess I need to do a little research on it. Before I dive into that rabbit hole, do I need anything special besides my pressure canner? It seems that it would be great for salmon. Take up less room and not have to store a bunch of empty jars.
After a quick look, it appears that I would need a vac chamber sealer. I'm still using the old school style that I bought over 30 years ago. It just keeps working and we put up a lot of fish and game every year.

Last edited:
The chamber vacuum sealer is the only extra needed. The normal vacuum bags I use for most items are a lot less money than the textured ones you have to use with the non chamber machines. Plus the chamber machines pull 28-29 inches of mercury vacuum and most non chamber suction type don’t even get to 20. So you get less are with flat bags and cheaper bags and higher suction. Fish lasts years in my freezer and looks just like the day I sealed it when thawed. The chamber machines are half the cost now from when I bought mine and it has more than paid for it self. Only downside is they are big and heavy.

The retort pouches cook faster than jars. I use higher pressure and cook for 30 mins instead of 100 mins. There is not a lot of non Comercial info on the pouches though. There was a small group of guys that did the research and trials to figure out time and pressure. I have been doing fish that way for years with no issues.

The retort pouches would be excellent camp or backpack food. The only downside is they weigh more than freeze dried. I will see if I can find info on meat versus fish.

We can a whitetail a year delicious and easy meals. I particularly like it when she makes stroganoff with it. Or on eggs in the morning.
I have never looked into this until now, but am intrigued. Do you drain the juice from the jar before using the meat? Use some of it or all of it? Does it make a difference on the type of meal you're preparing?

2buffalo

Lil-Rokslider
I have never looked into this until now, but am intrigued. Do you drain the juice from the jar before using the meat? Use some of it or all of it? Does it make a difference on the type of meal you're preparing?
Not typically. It's like a gravy.

20220718_075326.jpg

A few years ago I was in the process of moving and cleaning out the pantry when I came upon a jar of home canned moose meat that I had gotten from the in-laws. It was dated 12 years prior to my rediscovery. Not being one to waste meat I cracked it open, smelled good, tasted even better. Made two meals with that jar with no ill effects. Been canning the unused freezer meat before the season starts since. So easy to take on the road, hunting trips, fishing, etc. Just bring a sauce to mix in, BBQ for sammies, barbacoa or taco for tortillas, stir fry sauce or Korean bbq and add to microwave steamed stir fry veggies. It’s super versatile.

rayporter

WKR
more juice is better.

cooling or dropping pressure too fast will cause juice to escape-wont hurt any thing but you will have less juice.

RWT

Lil-Rokslider
Good info. Doing my own canning is on my list of 50. Looks like I need to research finding a pressure cooker.