Canceling a bighorn hunt in Alberta

OP
S-3 ranch

S-3 ranch

WKR
We canceled!
all 3 hunters, Canada/ Alberta & B.C outfitters have some issues with the trophy management of their sheep
we all live in Texas and are leasing a ranch in Mexico for the state season
mule deer, aoudad sheep, desert sheep, upper plateau whitetail
and turkey .
I would love to see some different country up north but , down here Mexico has better bang for the money self Guided and we can Drive, come and go as we please.

schmalzy

WKR
We canceled!
all 3 hunters, Canada/ Alberta & B.C outfitters have some issues with the trophy management of their sheep
and turkey .
I would love to see some different country up north but , down here Mexico has better bang for the money self Guided and we can Drive, come and go as we please.

Pumped for you. First time hearing of a ranch being leased for desert sheep (assuming you mean desert bighorns?)That is beyond awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The ministers tag for Alberta sold for $375000, someone must believe there is a 200 plus ram left in the province for that much cash.
Although i see it is a year long tag now, maybe a February survival type hunt makes it more attractive?

Trekker

FNG
We canceled!
and turkey .

Ill be sure to pass the info on to our bios, that there isn't enough big rams being left on the mountain for you and your non resident buddies. sigh.

leoni1

FNG
To the OP:

Alberta currently manages their sheep to provide opportunity rather than high trophy potential.

Being that only a small portion (5% maybe) of this beautiful and diverse province is suitable bighorn habitat and that demand is so high on bighorns, I believe and would argue that game managers are doing a reasonably good job.

Better predator control as well and prescribed burns would be very helpful with our mountain elk and bighorn populations.

It has long been rumored that our province will go from OTC to a LE draw for sheep. The outfitters and NR hunters (yourself included, I’m sure) would be excited to see this happen.

For me, it would mean that instead of hunting them every year with low to moderate chances of success, I’d be hunting them once every 20 years with high odds and (potentially) better trophy potential.

Tough to make everyone happy. My guess is that within the next ten years Alberta goes from OTC to draw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The ministers tag for Alberta sold for $375000, someone must believe there is a 200 plus ram left in the province for that much cash.
Although i see it is a year long tag now, maybe a February survival type hunt makes it more attractive?
There are still big rams coming out of the park to winter. If the ministers tag is a year round tag a 200" ram is definitely doable.

We canceled!
and turkey .
Nice. Need a packer ?

Rambucsabillbul

Lil-Rokslider
We canceled!
and turkey .
High Fenced Hunt ?

Mojave

WKR
I guess it depends on your financial means.

There are reservation hunts in New Mexico and Montana that offer bighorn sheep hunts for less than $100,000. That would be my first pick.

There are desert bighorn sheep hunts on the Amandaris in New Mexico for $90,000 or so.

There are a few private land ranching for wildlife bighorn sheep hunts in Colorado. I do not know what they go for.