Canada moose hunting

Sako76

WKR
We hunted 10/3-9. The guides said the storm pushed the moose into the timber which it did seem like early on in the hunt. Wednesday my buddy and another hunter from PA shot bulls with the PA hunter killing a 44 1/2" bull. Thursday morning the other PA hunter tagged out. It seemed like the rut was just starting. The outfitter said the next week would be the best, unfortunately, our group was the last group for the year!

Thanks for all the kind words, I just got lucky!

Novahunter

Lil-Rokslider
Just want to let you guys know that my caribou scored 333 7/8ths and will make B&C. Just got lucky, right place, right time.

Congrats! It is a beautiful Caribou. Definitely post a pic once you get him all mounted!

Sako76

WKR
Nova--thanks! I can try posting posting pics when it's done, that may be a major undertaking! I may have to reach out to Hoosker Doo for assistance!

Nomadx2

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure how I missed this thread. Had great 1st moose hunt experience back in early October. Weather was hot 1st 3 days which slowed things down then weather dropped on day 4. Took this 41" bull. Saw him the afternoon before chasing a cow and could not intercept him before they got into the thick bush. Set-up on the area early next am. Guide called him in at sunrise. Took 6 hours to butcher and get back to the trail, what a job that was.

IMG_20221004_095713.jpg

I hate when guides tell you not to shoot. I shot a smaller Caribou, and I'm ecstatic!! He thought it was bigger in the glass, and he was disappointed. I'm still eating it from 2 years ago. Still waiting on the mount.

rgrx1276

Lil-Rokslider
Took this bull in early October 2022. 308 win with a 165gr ballistic tip. Was hunting with 2G outfitters in Newfoundland. Drove up from florida, camped out several nights on the way, had a blast. returning in 2023 for another hunt.

Last edited:

rgrx1276

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure how I missed this thread. Had great 1st moose hunt experience back in early October. Weather was hot 1st 3 days which slowed things down then weather dropped on day 4. Took this 41" bull. Saw him the afternoon before chasing a cow and could not intercept him before they got into the thick bush. Set-up on the area early next am. Guide called him in at sunrise. Took 6 hours to butcher and get back to the trail, what a job that was.

View attachment 491383
Wonderful animal...where did you hunt your bull?

I drove up from NY several times, hauling my 5'x8' trailer. It really was no problem at all. There is nothing quite like a Newfoundland moose hunt. I always had a great time and took some nice bulls. I also took a good bear on one of the trips and did some sightseeing along the Viking Trail after I was done hunting.

After applying for a non-res Maine tag for 20yrs, I finally hit. Outfitter said I'd be hunting in heavy timber, so I left the 338RUM home and took my Marlin 45-70. I always wanted to hunt moose with the 45-70 and this was my chance. I worked up a load with the then new 402gr Hammer bullet and was ready to go. I took a nice bull on the second day and my hunting was over for the week. Kind of disappointed to end my hunt so quickly.

Honestly, the Maine hunt was MUCH harder. We literally walked uphill & downhill from before sunup until sundown. I had a backpack and a rifle. My guide had a small knife on his belt. That guy didn't slow down for nothing. LOL In contrast, on the Newfoundland trips, we did 90% of the travel in an Argo.

rgrx1276

Lil-Rokslider
I won't even drive from NY, never mind Florida.
I’m retired and time is my own. I do as I please with what I have left on this earth. My travels and my hunts are adventures and I look at them as such… Can’t help that you’re constrained by time or whatever, I’m not. I had a blast and looking forward to next year.

Last edited:
I drove up from NY several times, hauling my 5'x8' trailer. It really was no problem at all. There is nothing quite like a Newfoundland moose hunt. I always had a great time and took some nice bulls. I also took a good bear on one of the trips and did some sightseeing along the Viking Trail after I was done hunting.

After applying for a non-res Maine tag for 20yrs, I finally hit. Outfitter said I'd be hunting in heavy timber, so I left the 338RUM home and took my Marlin 45-70. I always wanted to hunt moose with the 45-70 and this was my chance. I worked up a load with the then new 402gr Hammer bullet and was ready to go. I took a nice bull on the second day and my hunting was over for the week. Kind of disappointed to end my hunt so quickly.

Honestly, the Maine hunt was MUCH harder. We literally walked uphill & downhill from before sunup until sundown. I had a backpack and a rifle. My guide had a small knife on his belt. That guy didn't slow down for nothing. LOL In contrast, on the Newfoundland trips, we did 90% of the travel in an Argo.

Congrats on finally drawing a main tag and congrats on the bull.

I am also from Western NY and made the trip to Newfoundland. Was a pretty easy trip. Going to NL we took 3 days to travel, coming home we took 2 days, got off the ferry and blasted straight home, almost 20 hours, but was T bad at all.

Sounds like my Newfoundland hunt was a little unique, maybe attributed to my guide. We road the wheelers in a couple miles each day, but then we went 8+ miles each day. Up and down hills, through spruce forest, across bogs, it was great. I am always up for a challenge and this was great. Exactly what I was looking for.

I could have shot a cow at 8;30 the the first day. I am glad I did not. I got to continue to for 3 and a half days. I was there to hit and I got to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patw