Canada moose hunting

Arrowed a 39" bull in NW Alberta last Saturday. Great eating younger bull. Came into calling.

68w

FNG
Just got back from B.C. but unfortunately the outfitter we hunted with was a joke. Looks like some nice bulls have been taken around Canada this year tho!

WMR

FNG
I hunted Alberta this year. No moose for me. It was unseasonably warm but the moose were there. I think I was the only hunter of 8 to not get a shot. We had 3 or 4 coming in but they avoided us. I had a bad time with one of the guides. The others were great. I’ll go back again next year. The good far exceeded the bad. Moose hunting is a hoot and I’ll do as much of it as I can.

Just got back from Newfoundland. There were 5 of us in our group and we all came home with moose, 4 bulls and one cow. I shot the cow.

4e1dea936a9b6dde3b585e4e29018eb1.jpg

1a74d6cfde9878afbe2de3fc3273f8d9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

92xj

WKR
Just got back from B.C. but unfortunately the outfitter we hunted with was a joke. Looks like some nice bulls have been taken around Canada this year tho!
Who did you hunt with?

bmrfish

WKR
Hunted Alberta first week of October with Misty River Outfitters. The warm weather made hunting tough, but the switch turned on October 3rd. This was the seventh bull we had talking that day and the second called in under 30 yards.

View attachment 464510

That’s excellent! We bear hunted last spring with them and they were great.

Sako76

WKR
Sure, embarrassed to say I don't know how to post pics. Me and a bud hunted with Rock Camp Outfitters, Parsons Pond NL. We flew out of Peter Strides, camp was 18 miles from Peter Strides. Landed on Sunday and hunted on Monday. I had a moose tag and the only caribou tag allotted to the Outfitter. I booked the hunt through a booking agent at the Harrisburg NRA. My bud and I are from New Jersey and drove to New Foundland, no hitches.

Monday we saw several caribou and a couple of moose. One moose was 2000 yards away, guides hit the e-call and he came running like a horse for 1000 yards, circled to get the wind and we never saw him again. We did see a moose run another moose off at the same distance.

Tuesday Morning was slow, Tuesday afternoon while overlooking a big flat area a cow ran out followed by a bull moose. We stalked down and I give my friend first shot, he passes and I shoot the 30" 6 point moose at 269 yards with an Alamo Precision Maverick custom in 300 Weatherby shooting Weatherby factory 200 grain Accubonds at 3090, two complete pass through, no bullets recovered. We spend the rest of Tuesday afternoon processing the moose.

Wednesday morning we head out and see a lot of nice caribou ( to me and my bud, we have no idea what a big one is, they all look big). Guides won't let me shoot any of them, says they are too small. The guides spot a group of caribou bedded at 1700 yards, they say they need a better look. We stalk to about 800 yards, guides say get closer, stag is bedded with about a dozen cows. We stalk to 200 yards in the fog, I drop down prone, look over and guides tell me to shoot. I drop caribou with neck shot. 43 points and guides say it will make B&C. I saw the B&C caribou that was shot last year, mine is a lot bigger.

That afternoon the guides see a bull, my bud and guides take off after it. About 2 miles later my bud makes a 580 yard shot on a 34 1/2" moose. The other two hunters from PA shot a 34" and 44 1/2" moose.

Accomodations were rustic, no running water to brush your teeth or bath. We took a couple of solar showers with heated water off the stove. The chitter broke and it smelled, we couldn't get out early because of an airplane/helicopter issue.

Guides were great and knew how to find game. Food was OK, we ran out of water and almost food. Ate "bottled moose meat" and ham in a can. I use and CPAP and the battery I bought only worked for two hours. Successfull but tough hunt.

If someone can PM their cell number, I can send pics to post. Any questions, fire away!

Last edited:

Hoosker Doo

Lil-Rokslider
Sure, embarrassed to say I don't know how to post pics. Me and a bud hunted with Rock Camp Outfitters, Parsons Pond NL. We flew out of Peter Strides, camp was 18 miles from Peter Strides. Landed on Sunday and hunted on Monday. I had a moose tag and the only caribou tag allotted to the Outfitter. I booked the hunt through a booking agent at the Harrisburg NRA. My bud and I are from New Jersey and drove to New Foundland, no hitches.

Monday we saw several caribou and a couple of moose. One moose was 2000 yards away, guides hit the e-call and he came running like a horse for 1000 yards, circled to get the wind and we never saw him again. We did see a moose run another moose off at the same distance.

Tuesday Morning was slow, Tuesday afternoon while overlooking a big flat area a cow ran out followed by a bull moose. We stalked down and I give my friend first shot, he passes and I shoot the 30" 6 point moose at 269 yards with an Alamo Precision Maverick custom in 300 Weatherby shooting Weatherby factory 200 grain Accubonds at 3090, two complete pass through, no bullets recovered. We spend the rest of Tuesday afternoon processing the moose.

Wednesday morning we head out and see a lot of nice caribou ( to me and my bud, we have no idea what a big one is, they all look big). Guides won't let me shoot any of them, says they are too small. The guides spot a group of caribou bedded at 1700 yards, they say they need a better look. We stalk to about 800 yards, guides say get closer, stag is bedded with about a dozen cows. We stalk to 200 yards in the fog, I drop down prone, look over and guides tell me to shoot. I drop caribou with neck shot. 43 points and guides say it will make B&C. I saw the B&C caribou that was shot last year, mine is a lot bigger.

That afternoon the guides see a bull, my bud and guides take off after it. About 2 miles later my bud makes a 580 yard shot on a 34 1/2" moose. The other two hunters from PA shot a 34" and 44 1/2" moose.

Accomodations were rustic, no running water to brush your teeth or bath. We took a couple of solar showers with heated water off the stove. The chitter broke and it smelled, we couldn't get out early because of an airplane/helicopter issue.

Guides were great and knew how to find game. Food was OK, we ran out of water and almost food. Ate "bottled moose meat" and ham in a can. I use and CPAP and the battery I bought only worked for two hours. Successfull but tough hunt.

If someone can PM their cell number, I can send pics to post. Any questions, fire away!
Here's Sako76's pictures. That caribou is AMAZING!IMG_20221024_092446.jpgIMG_20221024_092452.jpgIMG_20221024_092439.jpgIMG_20221024_092443.jpg

Last edited:

What an awesome hunt! Sound just like the experience I could get into! What week were you there?

Congrats on an awesome stag and a nice bull!