Canada Gun Laws?

Ringbill27

Lil-Rokslider
So my father-in-law was invited on an Ontario moose hunt and well he is one rifle kinda guy and that rifle is a Lee Enfield in 303 Brit which has a 10rd mag.

It’s been his deer rifle for 40+ years and he is very proficient with it. He really wants to take it. I’m struggling to find an answer online.

Anyone on here know whether or not a
10rd mag is legal in Canada? Is the rifle even legal? If he somehow finds or makes a 5rd is he G2g?

I’d rather him bring it because he knows it so well but also think his 30-06 rem 700 would be the more suitable choice.

Weldor

WKR
found 5 rounders on ebay, Try Sarco also. Will they accept a 10 round that has a 5 round permanent block in it?

OP
Ringbill27

Ringbill27

Lil-Rokslider
found 5 rounders on ebay, Try Sarco also. Will they accept a 10 round that has a 5 round permanent block in it?
I asked whether or not you could modify the mag to hold 5. And she said yes.

dirtshooter

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah so 10 round mags in a bolt action is fine. Even 100 round mags would be fine in bolt actions. For hunting though there are generally round limits. I'm not from ONT but from AB and ours are something like 5 rounds for big game, 3 for waterfowl. Honestly not a waterfowl hunter but I know for sure in AB and other provinces it is 5 rounds in a mag for big game. You can rivet the mag to hold 5.5 rounds and it is acceptable. That is how all our AR mags are pinned up North sadly....

Dogone

FNG
You are getting good info. No more than 5 rounds while hunting. Bigger mags must be modified.

You are getting good info. No more than 5 rounds while hunting. Bigger mags must be modified.
No he’s not lol.

Gun laws are federal
I use a 10 round magazine in my bolt action gun for bear hunting all the time.
The 5 round restriction is only for semi automatic rifles. Not bolt actions lever actions or pump action rifles.

Source, am Canadian.

OP
Ringbill27

Ringbill27

Lil-Rokslider
No he’s not lol.

Gun laws are federal
The 5 round restriction is only for semi automatic rifles. Not bolt actions lever actions or pump action rifles.

Source, am Canadian.
I spoke with the Ontario fish and game and the Mountes now and but said when hunting big game the mag can only hold 5. I did not inquire whether this was a resident vs nonresident thing.

Weldor

WKR
Can't you just disassemble the mag and put a block in it? You could roll pin the block if necessary. Save you a bunch of time.

OP
Ringbill27

Ringbill27

Lil-Rokslider
Can't you just disassemble the mag and put a block in it? You could roll pin the block if necessary. Save you a bunch of time.
The enfield mags can be disassembled but it requires the feed ears to be bent straight and from my experience with the one I had once you find the sweet spot for those ears you don’t mess with. Mine didn’t feed worth a dang after I disassembled it and never found the sweet spot again. Got rid of the rifle since I never used it anymore.

But to chop it you’d have to disassemble the mag. He ended up chopping and welding it last night. Other then needing so blueing it looks good.

Weldor

WKR
Ok, I just watched a youtube , the guy pushed the follower down to the rear and twisted it and it came right out. Are there different enfield mags? I am no expert by any means, just curious.

OP
Ringbill27

Ringbill27

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting. There is #1 mark 3 mags and #4 mark 1 mags. I don’t think I was able to do that with mine, but it’s been years since I owned that rifle. I think his is a #1.

dirtshooter

Lil-Rokslider
No he’s not lol.

Gun laws are federal

Source, am Canadian.
And yet each province has it's own HUNTING regulations which vary from province to province. A great example is the difference between BC and AB. You guys can use .223" projectiles while in AB the minimum for big game is .240"

Source: I read the regs cause I hunt both provinces.

Dogone

FNG
You can Not have more than a 5 round mag while HUNTING . In any province in Canada. Other laws apply when not hunting. Quite simple really.

KBC

WKR
There are no mag size restrictions in manual actions, only semi autos which are limited to 5. Pistols are limited to 10 rounds but you can use pistol mags in semis and be legal with 10.
Confused yet? Hahaha this country sucks.

Hunting is a different story and some provinces limit the amount of rounds you are allowed when hunting, regardless of the gun used. Each province has its own hunting rules, just have a look in the regs to be sure.

Wrongside

WKR
Yeah so 10 round mags in a bolt action is fine. Even 100 round mags would be fine in bolt actions. For hunting though there are generally round limits. I'm not from ONT but from AB and ours are something like 5 rounds for big game, 3 for waterfowl. Honestly not a waterfowl hunter but I know for sure in AB and other provinces it is 5 rounds in a mag for big game. You can rivet the mag to hold 5.5 rounds and it is acceptable. That is how all our AR mags are pinned up North sadly....
All due respect, but the bolded part of your statement isn’t accurate. The 5-round limit applies to semiautomatic centerfire rifles only.

Other provinces hunting regulations may have that restriction, but not Alberta. Our firearms laws are a bad joke.
IMG_0989.jpeg