can you stand anothr binocular harness thread???

r7s

FNG
I have read multiple threads here on Rokslide and others elsewhere. Here is the list of those still under consideration:
  • FHF
  • AGC Kodiak KISS
  • KUIU
  • BinoBro
  • Cabelas Teck-Lite
  • Rick Young Outdoors (RYO) ultralight

The AGC, FHF and KUIU are obviously first quality, and seem to be beloved by many. Here are the criteria or features I am looking for:

1. I want the cover to quietly open forward (like KUIU, BinoBro, and Cabelas Teck-lite.)
  2. I like almost everything about the KUIU except that you must attach your binos to the top strap. I don't like having to be locked in to the harness. (I suppose a QD arrangement could mitigate this to some degree.)
  3. I want quick, quiet, easy, one handed access and return to case
  4. I want a minimum of thickness (dimension from chest outward), and a minimum of weight and bulk.
  5. It must work well while wearing a backpack, (either day pack or full backpack.)

The BinoBro looks pretty darn good, but I have not seen one in person yet. It opens forward and you can use your binos with its own neck strap (or not). The harness I am not so sure about. I would love to hear from BinoBro users, especially if you have used some of the others as well for comparison.

The Cabelas Teck-lite is somewhat similar to the KUIU. I have not yet handled it at the store. A careful review of their web pictures shows an interesting feature. The top harness straps are shown in two different modes. Connected directly to the bino (like the KUIU), or connected to some small D rings on the harness. That intrigues me because I could then have the binos free or use them with a unconnected neck strap. It does mention a magnet which I probably won't like if it makes any sound. Has anyone seen or used this one? I will check my local Cabelas this week to see if they have one I can check out.

The RYO is a whole different deal. I have to take some time to wrap my brain around it. My observation is that many of the people who use it and like it tend to be serious hunters with lots of experience and that I should not discount it even though it is different. RYO now has a Neoprene Cover available as an option that works with it.

Thoughts, suggestions, experiences or challenges to my basic criteria or assumptions are welcome. Thanks.

r7s

dotman

WKR
I have or have had the AGC, FHF and Binobro Pro.

Truthfully they all are great, if I only rifle or muzzleloader hunted I would only use the AGC, it is just layed out perfect for these two options. I really liked my FHF and had zero complaints, some say it is too noisy but it didn't bug me. The Binobro Pro is my favorite for archery, holds about the same amount of extra stuff as the FHF but is super super quiet, almost like a water resistant fleece that is a tad stiffer.

I've sold my FHF harnesses and now only have the AGC and Binobro Pro. Binobro Pro and RF case weigh less then 5oz I believe, super light weight.

Last edited:

stephen b

WKR
I like simple and light weight- so I usually just run the Rick Young. So light, quiet and easy. I do not want to be opening anything up or remove anything to use my bino's.

And I do not need my binocular harness to hold anything- I have lots of other places to put extra gear. I barely tolerate having my binoculars on my chest- but is necessary for quick access. I have nice optics (Swarovski ), but I do not have to have them wrapped up all the time. I usually just have ocular covers and objective covers if need be. But if moving and stalking in, those are out of the way. For binocular protection when not on my chest, I use a neoprene bino wrap by Wilderness Pack specialties. And when I store my bino's in my pack for the night, I slip the harness, binos and maybe the wrap into a super light weight silnylon bag that is tethered to the inside top of my pack. I had too many times where I had binoculars in some sort of case slide out of my pack when getting gear out etc. So now my binoculars are either on my chest, or they are slipped into the attached to the pack silnylon bag- and that is closed shut. So in the AM, I just reach in when I am all ready to roll and grab the binos and on my chest they go.

I honestly do not have other experience with the other harnesses mentioned- because having a bino pack on my chest never appealed to me. But that is just me.

Randle

WKR
Bino bro pro would fit the bill nicely for you , Opens forward, protects , keeps wind checker handy, low profile, light weight, and the basement pocket holds glasses or knife etc. I am probably going to keep the 2 I have. AGC cub and Bino bro pro. Bino bro for archery and AGC cub for everything else, 3D shoots, scouting, shed hunting, rifle season. I just don,t want the bulk of the AGC for archery hunting. But other times I like GPS, and other items handy most of the other times. If the AGC kiss with basement would fit gps I might go that route . The thing I don,t like on the agc is the top opens the wrong way for me personally . The bino bro I can fold the lid over and it is out of the way if I want to keep it open for repeat use of the binos .

Last edited:
I have the Kuiu and I like it and you don't really notice that it doesn't have top attachment points as long as the bottom ones are relatively tight. I am probably going to switch to the AGC Cub this year to try it out because it would be nice to have somewhere to store my rangefinder.

kickemall

WKR
I used Kuiu a long time until I got a Bino Bro. Never did like the binos being attached to the harness. Sold the Kuiu and just use the Bino Bro. Being waterproof is a big plus too.

OP
R

r7s

FNG
How do you like the harness on the BinoBro? Does it work well under a backpack?

LandYacht

WKR
Had a Horn Hunter something or rather Hub, then got a Binobro. Very happy with it. Just wish the pocket on the side was slightly bigger for my GPS to fit in. Does wonderful under a pack, don't even notice it.

rfc86

FNG
I used the Rick Young for one season and then got the Kuiu. I really like the Kuiu and have used it for the last 2 years.

MattB

WKR
To me it sounds like the Kuiu is what you want. It fits all your criteria, and unless you are frequently putting you binocs on a tripod it shouldn't be an issue.

rfc86

FNG
To me it sounds like the Kuiu is what you want. It fits all your criteria, and unless you are frequently putting you binocs on a tripod it shouldn't be an issue.

I did a bunch of glassing from the tripod hunting New Mexico and it was super easy detaching / reattaching the binos from my Kuiu harness. The outdoorsman bino adapter is pretty awesome.

MattB

WKR
I did a bunch of glassing from the tripod hunting New Mexico and it was super easy detaching / reattaching the binos from my Kuiu harness. The outdoorsman bino adapter is pretty awesome.

The detaching/reattaching is easy, but the attachment to the binoculars is what keeps the over the shoulder straps in place and they "wander" when detached.

neverquit

WKR
I have both sizes of the KUIU. And I loved them both.... Till I looked at the agc Classic with the max.

I too use my bino a lot on a tripod but un harnessing and reharnessing was getting hold. Now with the agc they are in the poach or out but either way the harness remains on me.

bates

WKR
I have kuiu and agc

There are things I like about both and will keep them both

Here is my work around for the kuiu

My biggest gripe is when you take them out to put on a tripod

MattB

WKR
I have kuiu and agc

There are things I like about both and will keep them both

Here is my work around for the kuiu

My biggest gripe is when you take them out to put on a tripod

What are the binoculars connected to and doesn't the workaround get in the way quite a bit?

bates

WKR
Matt,

the binos would be sitting on a tripod and not connected the cord just keeps things in place when you disconnect the binos.

I just bought extra clips and tied a bit of cord to them, keep in one of the side pockets, when you unstrap the binos to put on your tripod pull the connector out, it keeps the pouch up and shoulder straps from dropping down

not ideal but it works, will know more after some time with it.

MattB

WKR
Got it. I think I'd rather just disconnect the waist strap to get enough slack to get the binocs to the tripod.

OP
R

r7s

FNG
Take a look at these two pictures of the Cabela's Teck-Lite bino harness. The first picture shows the upper straps attached to only the binoculars, like the Kuiu.

Cabelas Teck Lite0001.jpg

The second picture shows the upper straps attached to the case.

Cabelas Teck Lite0002.jpg

This would provide a way to run the harness either way; directly attached to the harness, or separate from the harness.

r7s

Last edited:
I have read multiple threads here on Rokslide and others elsewhere. Here is the list of those still under consideration:
  • FHF
  • AGC Kodiak KISS
  • KUIU
  • BinoBro
  • Cabelas Teck-Lite
  • Rick Young Outdoors (RYO) ultralight

The AGC, FHF and KUIU are obviously first quality, and seem to be beloved by many. Here are the criteria or features I am looking for:

1. I want the cover to quietly open forward (like KUIU, BinoBro, and Cabelas Teck-lite.)
  2. I like almost everything about the KUIU except that you must attach your binos to the top strap. I don't like having to be locked in to the harness. (I suppose a QD arrangement could mitigate this to some degree.)
  3. I want quick, quiet, easy, one handed access and return to case
  4. I want a minimum of thickness (dimension from chest outward), and a minimum of weight and bulk.
  5. It must work well while wearing a backpack, (either day pack or full backpack.)

The BinoBro looks pretty darn good, but I have not seen one in person yet. It opens forward and you can use your binos with its own neck strap (or not). The harness I am not so sure about. I would love to hear from BinoBro users, especially if you have used some of the others as well for comparison.

The Cabelas Teck-lite is somewhat similar to the KUIU. I have not yet handled it at the store. A careful review of their web pictures shows an interesting feature. The top harness straps are shown in two different modes. Connected directly to the bino (like the KUIU), or connected to some small D rings on the harness. That intrigues me because I could then have the binos free or use them with a unconnected neck strap. It does mention a magnet which I probably won't like if it makes any sound. Has anyone seen or used this one? I will check my local Cabelas this week to see if they have one I can check out.

The RYO is a whole different deal. I have to take some time to wrap my brain around it. My observation is that many of the people who use it and like it tend to be serious hunters with lots of experience and that I should not discount it even though it is different. RYO now has a Neoprene Cover available as an option that works with it.

Thoughts, suggestions, experiences or challenges to my basic criteria or assumptions are welcome. Thanks.

r7s

I've got the Sitka Bino Bivy and I don't think I'll ever change. No anchoring of the binoculars, opens forward with a zipper for storage and magnetic closure for on-the-go quick access, comes with a lens cleaning cloth that is attached by elastic to the inside of the enclosure so you won't lose it (I have a serious issue with losing my cloths), works with any pack and stays tight to your chest when moving and walking unlike the Lock Down style enclosures. Its also got super comfy straps that has a breathable mesh backing for added support with minimal notice it's even there. Good luck!