Can/Should I Make This Into a Duck Pond?

evergreenethos

Lil-Rokslider
My wife and I just bought a new house with some acreage and there is a small pond on the property. We have only been there a few times so far, but every time I have been there I have seen birds flying in/out of it. I know next to nothing about waterfowl, let alone how to hunt them, but I am wondering if it may be worthwhile to try and turn this into a huntable duck pond? What kinds of things should I look for and/or take into consideration? Other option would be to put an aerator in it and try and raise some crappie, bluegill, bass, etc.

Here are a few pictures of it as it is now:

1666228078212.png1666228094613.png

I've got one that appears about the same size on my property that I've considered doing the same. When it gets cold I'll pretty consistently see woodies and some mallards in it. Talking to some people who hunt ponds around here tell me that once you do a shoot or 2 on it, they will figure it out and not use it for awhile. However most say with a good food source on it, you can get 2 to 3 good shoots on it per season. Don't know how big yours is but I think it really needs to be at least a 1 acre pond to make it worthwhile

Not sure where you are located but near any flyway you could have a good honey hole. If you are not getting some resident ducks shouldn’t be too hard.

How deep is it? For resident ducks simply put in a few duck boxes and you will likely have some woodies on there. If you can plant some wild rice in the shallow areas they would like that. Another thing that would help it is to get rid of some predators like coons turtles and foxes that will take them out or try to get after the eggs. If you can dig a long trench like an irrigation run into it I know ducks love to swim up and down those and they are fun to jump shoot. If you want geese you will need to cut them a landing in and try to make it into the predominant winds. Having a field, grasses or plot around it will also give them another reason to be there. A lot of options, having a pond can be a lot of fun

kpk

WKR
I know of a spot that looks almost identical to this. There are ducks in it every time I've been there. I'd definitely pursue it....nothing to lose except some time.

go_deep

WKR
Before you get to far, talk to your local conservation department about things you can and can't do with wetlands in your area. They might make the decision for you.

Tberg

Lil-Rokslider
Put up some wood duck houses no matter what, it's just cool to have Woody's on your property.

Build a brush blind and go sit a few times, you'll find out if any ducks are using it. Waterfowl season is just beginning. Get some steel shot and a license, you'll figure it out.

JeffP_Or

WKR
If you go with wood duck nesting boxes look up "duckhut.co" - pretty nice premade units and come complete [you can forego the pole mount and just screw the brackets into a tree]; easy access for yearly cleaning.

The pond can be hit/miss - as noted, overshooting could kill it quickly. You could go fullbore and deepend it if shallow, enlarge it, plant it etc. Since it is new to you, give it a year or two and see how much water stays there and when; also how it gets used by birds [locals v. migrators]. If it is on a flight path between feeding areas and loafing area with migrators, you could have some fun shoots - even if only a few hours morning/evening to not ruin it.

EDIT: added recently installed duck huts at a waterfowl property. We don't mount them to the trees directly because of the raccoon populations.
PA290562.JPGPA290564.JPG

Last edited:

FLATHEAD

WKR
Looks ducky.
Should plant some millet or something, whatever duck hunters plant.

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider
Nothing wrong with making some great duck habitat even if it doesn't become truly "huntable". I'd do it even I just jump shot 1 duck/year on it, and it mostly became a good spot for ducks to feed and rest while on their journey to go make lots more ducks somewhere else.

Great spot to train a dog with a realistic decoy spread and real guns. If you offered me a great spot like this to train, it would get you an invite to join on my hunts elsewhere with dogs.

OP
evergreenethos

evergreenethos

Lil-Rokslider
Really great suggestions all, thank you! I am now even more excited to get into this new place. I like the idea of putting some work into it, seeing what happens, and maybe getting a handful of good shoots out of it per year. If not then hey, at least it gives them a nice spot to hang out where I'll get to enjoy them. The property is in western Washington, about 30 miles east of Seattle, which I understand is part of the pacific flyway. I see ducks and geese flying around that area all the time, but I don't know if they are local or migratory. I am not sure how deep it is, but I do have access to a friend's excavator if I wanted to dig it out more.

Great spot to train a dog with a realistic decoy spread and real guns. If you offered me a great spot like this to train, it would get you an invite to join on my hunts elsewhere with dogs.

I hadn't even thought of this, and this alone has convinced me to invest some resources into it. Our dog died last March (we are still not over that loss, ugh, its just the worst) and getting a new pup is very high on our to-do list once we move in. We also have a dedicated dog washing station in the new house so if they get filthy training in the pond we can clean them right up. Also, would be great to have something to offer more experienced waterfowl hunters in exchange for them showing me the ropes and letting me tag along with them in the field.

I wouldnt do a pond...I would do any impoundment that you can drain plant with millet, rice, corn and then flood it back 12-18" deep...If you build it they will come..

dtrkyman

WKR
On the fish side of things, do not stock crappie in a small pond, they tend to out compete everything and you will be loaded with 6 inch crappie!

Bluegill, bass, catfish.

Str8wire

FNG
I agree with above. Do not stock crappie in a small pond. Bass and bluegill.

Ducks are fickle. They will use or not use based on conditions and hunting pressure. Food is the only way to have consistent birds.

Darryle

WKR
Classified Approved
There is no downside if you decide to make it a duck pond. It will support more than just waterfowl if you do your research.

If you want to seal the the pond to maintain the water level year round, buy some bentonite. A metal coffee can with a few holes in the bottom and a kayak to sprinkle it evenly, not too heavily, it will find any porous spots and seal them. Get rid of any crawfish if you have them, add minnows to keep moss to a minimum, find a pond with widgeon grass to harvest a small amount. Use sand and paper lunch sacks to replant the widgeon grass, sow chufa, millet and other seed head grasses around the pond, it will not only attract other wildlife, it will protect the soil and pond. If you don't have hardwoods producing acorns, Native Nurserys can help you out, small acorn trees like the live oak, or Chestnut hybrids that produce quickly and have a tolerance for drought or extreme wet areas.

Don't overlook logs that allow for wood ducks or mallards to purch and preen. Build your blind as you build up the pond to allow you to incorporate it into the surroundings to appear natural.

Have fun and enjoy it!