Can I build my own long range rifle?

OP
arlenmyles
I would get my name on the waiting list for the 7prc brass as soon as possible. A dealer told me ADG will be making brass for that cartridge, which is a huge plus for that cartridge. Defiance makes a fine action but with recent price increases and wait time it's kind of a hard pill to swallow. Lots of great options these days, Rem 700 footprints make component selections easier. I ordered a AntiX last June and the anticipated arrival date is September of this year...15 month wait. One super cool thing about Defiance is they allow you to customize your serial number. I choose my dad's initials and numeric birthday.
I'm not going to pretend I know much about the 7prc, but magazine length and throat lead is an area I would be looking into. Obviously you will need a long action, but how the chamber is throated and what bullet you want to shoot is a pretty important aspect. To be candid here, I have not done a prefit for this reason. I'm on my third build I source together and have a reputable smith cut the chamber. If he doesn't have the reamer in the spec I want I'll order a finish reamer with the specs I want. I hope this helps, it's an awesome journey you will enjoy.
Thanks! Some great things for me to consider here!

Bouldar

Lil-Rokslider
I just ordered a barrel vise form them yesterday afternoon. Had shipping info within 20 min and it’ll be at my door Monday. I’ll be ordering from them again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They are very fast. Ordered a magazine and had shipping info within 30 minutes.

Truck24hr

Lil-Rokslider
I built a 6.5x47 Lapua on a Savage action. First ever build. My much more well to do buddy with 6-8k$ custom big bores basically told me there was no way the rifle would be accurate without gunsmithing.

I bought Shilens best barrel and put it together, built handloads, and blew his custom rifles out of the water.

Gave it to my son who killed elk out to 710 yards with it.

Built a long action into a 7 Rem Mag with a X Caliber barrel. Shot that barrel out trying to find a good load. Never got better than 1.5"

McHerbie

FNG
I'd do it. I'm on my 4th one and didn't now squat about rifles a few years ago. About $2,200 is the absolute cheapest you can do it with a wood stock, steel CBI prefit barrel, origin action, no cerakote or muzzle device. Shoots lights out though. Defiance anti (before the price hike), proof carbon prefit, manners stock, muzzle break, cerakote running me about $3,500. I've heard from many that trigger tech is the way to go with the rem700 style actions, have worked flawless for me. Have a blast!

rootacres

WKR
100% you can do it. Just make sure you do all the research upfront. If all the components work with one another then you'll be good. It's when you start wanting to make changes things can be a pain.

Ive rebarreled 700s with remage barrels in the past.
I'm currently building an origin. Shouldered prefits make it super easy.
Barrel shows up Wednesday
20230308_233340.jpg

carter33

WKR
I would absolutely say go for it. I had a few customs from high quality shops before I decided to build my own. I wanted a smaller cartridge for practice and a little fclass so I put together a 6cm but didn’t want to spend the extra for a full gunsmith custom as I won’t hunt with it much. It’s one of the more accurate rifles I own, probably because it’s heavier and I still used premium parts like defiance, proof, trigger tech and XLR but still impressive.

I think the only real reason to go down the full custom shop path is to get the more one off type items like shorter barrels and some cool cerakote options, of course the latter has no bearing on performance. Or perhaps it may be worth it if you’re an extremely practiced marksman that can reap the small precision benefits of having a good smith do it. I think some barrel shops are pre fitting basically any barrel of any length now though as well.

As a bonus you get the small bit of pride of having done it yourself, though I will say after having done it I am shocked at how easy it was. Still I think that’ll be one of the rifles I’ll always hold on to though.

OP
arlenmyles
I would absolutely say go for it. I had a few customs from high quality shops before I decided to build my own. I wanted a smaller cartridge for practice and a little fclass so I put together a 6cm but didn’t want to spend the extra for a full gunsmith custom as I won’t hunt with it much. It’s one of the more accurate rifles I own, probably because it’s heavier and I still used premium parts like defiance, proof, trigger tech and XLR but still impressive.

I think the only real reason to go down the full custom shop path is to get the more one off type items like shorter barrels and some cool cerakote options, of course the latter has no bearing on performance. Or perhaps it may be worth it if you’re an extremely practiced marksman that can reap the small precision benefits of having a good smith do it. I think some barrel shops are pre fitting basically any barrel of any length now though as well.

As a bonus you get the small bit of pride of having done it yourself, though I will say after having done it I am shocked at how easy it was. Still I think that’ll be one of the rifles I’ll always hold on to though.
Thanks! This is the kind of inspiration that I need!

swisski

Lil-Rokslider
Those of you who have built your own prefits, are you bedding your own action as well? I almost have all my components to start building. The only thing I don't know if I want to deal with is bedding it, so not sure if I'll send it out for that part or not.

SDHNTR

WKR
If you can turn a screwdriver and a wrench, you can build your own rifle. And if you can work shoe polish on a rag, you can bed it too. All super easy. When in doubt, YouTube is your friend.

wapitibob

WKR
Snowy Mountain is making prefits with Bartlein 5r’s, I’d buy that over a proof. A guy on long range hunting had defiance on sale last week.

gabenzeke

WKR
Those of you who have built your own prefits, are you bedding your own action as well? I almost have all my components to start building. The only thing I don't know if I want to deal with is bedding it, so not sure if I'll send it out for that part or not.
It's not real hard. Lots of good videos on YouTube.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Unckebob

WKR
Ok Rokslide, I have been looking at long range rifle parts for weeks now, actions, triggers, barrels etc.

Long story short I kinda want to build my own rifle!

Is there any reason that I cant purchase an action and a drop in barrel with some tools and the proper go/nogo chamber indicators and make it work? I looked for info on this topic but it seems the vast majority use a gunsmith to build them a rifle. What am I missing here? What about the process is so technical that it requires a gunsmith. Please help me, I love to build things, Im really good with my hands and mechanics but I am a total newb to long range rifles.

Thx

If I can do it, any idiot can do it.
- Origin Action
- 280AI Prefit Barrel
- TriggerTech Trigger
- BDL Bottom Metal
- Grayboe Stock.

If I want to shot a competition, I simply buy a chassis and some mags,

Attachments

• IMG_0097.jpeg
    IMG_0097.jpeg
    493.1 KB · Views: 18

Unckebob

WKR

My Grayboe stock came with pillars built in. So far, I haven't felt the need to bed it because it shoots fine as is.

I have a new Grayboe stock coming for it, I will see how it does.

Note- There was nothing wrong with the original stock. I just decided to switch to a M5 DMB setup. if I do decide it needs bedding, I'll pay someone to do it.

swisski

Lil-Rokslider
I ended up going with the Allterra Carbon Hunter 2 stock. I sent them my action since to ensure proper fitment since it'll be holding a LA defiance ruckus ultralight and they hadn't inlet for one yet. They said I could pay them to bed it and since they'll already have it, I opted to let the pros handle it. Either way, I'm excited to get it all back and finish putting it together.

parshal

WKR
I've been chambering my own rifles for a number of years now. Pre-fits make this whole process so much easier. If I didn't have a lathe I'd be using pre-fits.

Regarding torque on the barrel/action, I've played with 50-150 pounds as well as just tightening and then a quick, heavy 'snug' of the wrench. I've settled on 80 since they come off so much easier. If you don't remove it a bunch just a tight snug works just as well.