Can I build my own long range rifle?

Ok Rokslide, I have been looking at long range rifle parts for weeks now, actions, triggers, barrels etc.

Long story short I kinda want to build my own rifle!

Is there any reason that I cant purchase an action and a drop in barrel with some tools and the proper go/nogo chamber indicators and make it work? I looked for info on this topic but it seems the vast majority use a gunsmith to build them a rifle. What am I missing here? What about the process is so technical that it requires a gunsmith. Please help me, I love to build things, Im really good with my hands and mechanics but I am a total newb to long range rifles.

Thx

Mag_7s

WKR
A 2nd to what Wildwilderness said, you absolutely can. If it's a long rang rifle I would start with what bullet you want to shoot. I would inquire with the prefit barrel manufacturer on their reamer specks and how the chamber will be throated. I tend to pick a little faster twist than what the bullet requires. Also make sure that the action you choose is one they prefit for. I would suggest buying a barrel vice, and an action wrench specific to your action. Defently get the go/no go head space gauge.
What is the cartridge, action and barrel you are interested in?

Dco243

FNG
After numerous self builds that have produced phenomenal results. First would recommend a barrel vice viper, short action customs. Second a repeatable torque wrench accompanied with action specific wrench or SAC modular action wrench and set of go/no-go gauges from PT&G or Forster for piece of mind. Depending on your weight and cost constraints carbon choice is proof, bartlein, and carbon six. Numerous companies with cut a prefit barrel or your choice. Stocks I would recommend if not experienced with bedding material i.e. devcom or marine tex get yourself a good chassis. Again depending a lot on budget XLR, mesa and manners have been bombproof. manners coupled with m5 chassis or XLR #1 IMHO. Actions: Bighorn, lone peak,Impact precision, and Defiance (not cost effective option since beck purchased). This is a very enjoyable process that have produced excellent results coupled with handloads.

Good luck sir

Wrench

WKR
You can. Your results will be as good as the parts you ordered. My only issues with prefits are chamber dimensions. If a custom smith spins the chamber, you can choose how tight or loose it will be, the freebore can be chosen and the natural curve can be indexed to 12 o clock.

Not so much with a prefit. That's not to say it won't be a great rig....but you're gambling on the finer points.

Beyond chamber and bolt work.....it's just basic mechanics.

OP
arlenmyles
A 2nd to what Wildwilderness said, you absolutely can. If it's a long rang rifle I would start with what bullet you want to shoot. I would inquire with the prefit barrel manufacturer on their reamer specks and how the chamber will be throated. I tend to pick a little faster twist than what the bullet requires. Also make sure that the action you choose is one they prefit for. I would suggest buying a barrel vice, and an action wrench specific to your action. Defently get the go/no go head space gauge.
What is the cartridge, action and barrel you are interested in?
Thats good to hear. I am currently looking to build a 7mm PRC. Ive been looking at proof barrels, defiance actions, zermatt actions, gunwerks clymer stock, ag composite stocks, timmney, trigger tech, that sort of thing! Gonna start collecting parts and doing more research!

OP
arlenmyles
After numerous self builds that have produced phenomenal results. First would recommend a barrel vice viper, short action customs. Second a repeatable torque wrench accompanied with action specific wrench or SAC modular action wrench and set of go/no-go gauges from PT&G or Forster for piece of mind. Depending on your weight and cost constraints carbon choice is proof, bartlein, and carbon six. Numerous companies with cut a prefit barrel or your choice. Stocks I would recommend if not experienced with bedding material i.e. devcom or marine tex get yourself a good chassis. Again depending a lot on budget XLR, mesa and manners have been bombproof. manners coupled with m5 chassis or XLR #1 IMHO. Actions: Bighorn, lone peak,Impact precision, and Defiance (not cost effective option since beck purchased). This is a very enjoyable process that have produced excellent results coupled with handloads.

Good luck sir
Thanks this is some great info! I wanted to go the stock route but I have been considering different chassis!

gabenzeke

WKR
Long range only has step by step instructions for the whole process and even has videos on how to bed the action. Seems pretty simple.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Davisjj8

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been wanting to do this myself and from everything I’ve been told and heard it’s totally possible. I want to build one because my favorite action (browning x bolt) doesn’t really make semi custom rifles.

Mag_7s

WKR
Thats good to hear. I am currently looking to build a 7mm PRC. Ive been looking at proof barrels, defiance actions, zermatt actions, gunwerks clymer stock, ag composite stocks, timmney, trigger tech, that sort of thing! Gonna start collecting parts and doing more research!
I would get my name on the waiting list for the 7prc brass as soon as possible. A dealer told me ADG will be making brass for that cartridge, which is a huge plus for that cartridge. Defiance makes a fine action but with recent price increases and wait time it's kind of a hard pill to swallow. Lots of great options these days, Rem 700 footprints make component selections easier. I ordered a AntiX last June and the anticipated arrival date is September of this year...15 month wait. One super cool thing about Defiance is they allow you to customize your serial number. I choose my dad's initials and numeric birthday.
I'm not going to pretend I know much about the 7prc, but magazine length and throat lead is an area I would be looking into. Obviously you will need a long action, but how the chamber is throated and what bullet you want to shoot is a pretty important aspect. To be candid here, I have not done a prefit for this reason. I'm on my third build I source together and have a reputable smith cut the chamber. If he doesn't have the reamer in the spec I want I'll order a finish reamer with the specs I want. I hope this helps, it's an awesome journey you will enjoy.

Bouldar

Lil-Rokslider
I am doing this now. I have everything but the action. I decided that I wanted Defiance (before the price increase). When ordered, it was an 8 month lead time. I was supposed to get it this week but when I contacted them, I was told they were another 5 months behind.
This is something else to consider. Check lead times from the manufacturer or find one you like that a dealer has in stock.
I am using Bugholes for a rifle I am building for my wife. Still in process but I have been happy with them so far.

Mag_7s

WKR
I am doing this now. I have everything but the action. I decided that I wanted Defiance (before the price increase). When ordered, it was an 8 month lead time. I was supposed to get it this week but when I contacted them, I was told they were another 5 months behind.
This is something else to consider. Check lead times from the manufacturer or find one you like that a dealer has in stock.
I am using Bugholes for a rifle I am building for my wife. Still in process but I have been happy with them so far.
That's a bummer, when did you order your actuon?

davsco

WKR
just "built" this one last week. tikka t3x action, proof carbon 24" prefit 6.5 prc, mesa precision altitude stock. have an almost identical one in 6.5 creed. also doing one in 7 prc, have the action; another mesa stock is on order as is barrel from carbon six. at least with the mesa stock, no bedding or the like needed. tikka action wrench, barrel vise, and you're in business. no gunsmithing, per se, just plug and play.

i just sold a TL3 / Proof / KRG Bravo rifle in 6.5prc as it came out a little heavy for schlepping around hunting.

Tikka Proof Mesa 6.5PRC left.jpg

davsco

WKR
If you asked nice, I bet Evolved ballistics would torque that prefit onto the action before it shipped, which would save you a couple hundred in hand tools.
ditto for altus if you bought all the components from them. they did the tl3 build i mentioned above as well as two similar builds for my bil.

ditto for altus if you bought all the components from them. they did the tl3 build i mentioned above as well as two similar builds for my bil.

I just ordered a barrel vise form them yesterday afternoon. Had shipping info within 20 min and it’ll be at my door Monday. I’ll be ordering from them again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk