Can company keep my last bonus?

OP
WoodBow

WoodBow

WKR
I sent the relevant individual an email yesterday requesting a signed copy of my pay agreement and any other relevant documents that I signed. I have not heard back yet.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

ben h

Lil-Rokslider
I've never had any "signed" pay agreement or contract anywhere I've worked and have had bonuses chain me to my job temporarily and I've quit after receiving them not before. Assuming you gave notice to separate amicably, you won't be after you pursue a legal option. Dick move on their part for not squaring up with you, but very foreseeable.

I’ve written close to one hundred variable comp plans and it’s not uncommon for bonuses to be earned at the end of the period vs normal variable comp which is earned throughout the period.

One benefit of a bonus for the company is to use it as golden handcuffs. Can’t leave or you’ll loose the bonus your about to earn.

Obviously I haven’t seen your comp plan, just saying if I wrote it, I’d probably write it clearly, that you had to be there when the bonus was earned and it would be earned at period end (month, quarter, 1h, eoy, etc)

gearguywb

WKR
That is a fairly common stipulation on bonus pay. You can always try to fight it, but you may be on a tough road.

rkcdvm

Lil-Rokslider
If your compensation is actually defined as pro/sal I would assume you should be able to get the money as long as you hit the goal during the time period that was stated in your contract. If not, I doubt it. Even if you could I don't think it would be worth getting a lawyer involved. If your state has a workforce commission you could contact them. If anything it will be a pain in their butt

This is the part you f**ked up on. Over the last 4 jobs I've been apart of, giving 3 weeks notice is a formality designed for the company to figure out ways to f**k you on your way out the door. Pick your last day and then schedule a week or two off with your old company, then just don't bother showing up after that
It's sad, but this is totally true. You can get a feel for how a company will treat you if you put in notice if you've been there a while and you have to do your homework beforehand.

I had always tried to give as much notice as I could and do the right thing.. It has blown up in my face before though and it sucks. It's a hard lesson to learn.

I would still fight this, request documentation from the company, talk to an attorney before you do anything.

OP
WoodBow

WoodBow

WKR
Yea it's a really crummy way the company steals from you if you leave, essentially. Our bonus periods end at end of each month but they pay out on the 15th of next month. There is no way to time quitting and not lose money.

OP
WoodBow

WoodBow

WKR
Good news fellas. An email is all it took. She talked to the partnership and they decided to pay me.

Maybe that means the realized it was the decent thing to do. Or maybe they realized they didn't have documentation to back up their justification for not paying me. Either way, I'm happy.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Good news fellas. An email is all it took. She talked to the partnership and they decided to pay me.

Maybe that means the realized it was the decent thing to do. Or maybe they realized they didn't have documentation to back up their justification for not paying me. Either way, I'm happy.

Causing a stink and the veiled threat of litigation is what it was. Requesting docs is precursor to a demand letter in their eyes. Thats how I would have taken it.

Shitty you had to but glad it worked out.

thunt52

FNG
Read your contract carefully It has happened to me before. Health care bonuses are notorious for ways to avoid being paid out.

Congratulations.. Now you've closed the loop on all the other people who wanted to leave.. Make sure you give them my advice hahahahaha