Can anybody identify this trap?

It’s a foot hold with a large spring that goes over the top before you set the main spring. It’s an antique, and I have no idea make or model.

Attachments

• IMG_5458.jpeg
    IMG_5458.jpeg
    183.3 KB · Views: 49
Looks like a Victor coil spring stoploss, #1 or 1 1/2. The "bail" is of an unusual shape though. I have never seen one like this. I looked on like and couldn't find a picture of one like this.

Last edited:
Looks like a Victor coil spring stoploss, #1 or 1 1/2. The "bail" is of an unusual shape though. I have never seen one like this. I looked on like and couldn't find a picture of one like this.
Yeah me either and I’m hoping somebody on here has seen one. Definitely not going to use it until I know more. It was one of my Dad’s old traps.

My dad had a few like that years ago he always said it was for a sure kill on a questionable set for muskrats, the ones he had the slapper spring was more elongated, I am in the ballpark with the others on the 1 victor. be careful on using it until you get a sure ID some of those older traps bring a good price to collectors. After taking a closer look at the trap it seems as if the extensions are designed to spring up as the trap is triggered and grip the body of the animal, perhaps in the manner of a conibear type hold.

My dad had a few like that years ago he always said it was for a sure kill on a questionable set for muskrats, the ones he had the slapper spring was more elongated, I am in the ballpark with the others on the 1 victor. be careful on using it until you get a sure ID some of those older traps bring a good price to collectors. After taking a closer look at the trap it seems as if the extensions are designed to spring up as the trap is triggered and grip the body of the animal, perhaps in the manner of a conibear type hold.
Thanks guys, and yes, to set the trap a guy has to first open and hold the extension, then open the main jaws spring lever with your foot, making sure the extension trigger is under the main jaw before setting the pan trigger. When the animal steps on the pan it gets clamped first by the main jaws with the extension clamping over the head/body.

Back