Can a buddy drive my meet home

I’m flying to Colorado in a few days and hope to harvest an elk. My friend will be out there in his truck. He is going to drive my meet back as I will be flying back. Does he need anything other than my kill tag with it? Chain of custody?

The carcass tag stays with the meat - you keep your license

Page 15 of the Regs:

TRANSPORTING GAME

1. You can be cited for illegally transporting game animals even if someone else made an error. When you transport carcasses or processed meat:

a. Carcasses must be properly tagged. You must meet evidence of sex and antler point requirements. Hunters must keep their own license.

b. Carcass tags or donation certificates (for 20 pounds of meat or less) must accompany processed game meat.

2. Carcass tags must be securely attached to carcass, not antlers or horns, or must accompany processed meat.

3. To ship by commercial carrier, the license, photocopy of license, carcass tag or donation certificate must accompany carcass or processed meat.

4. Hunters transporting game through national parks or monuments must follow federal regulations. Contact the National Park Service.

5. Nonresident hunters should follow their home state regulations in place for transporting harvested deer, elk or moose back from a state known to have CWD.

I would recommend a signed and dated authorization note for him to carry. That you give him permission to transport ( detailed description of meat / antlers) to location of delivery and your contact information. This will help in case of a random traffic stop and the officer starts asking questions about who's animal it is .

I would be cautious of this ^^^^^ unless the wording is absolutely clear - especially when your buddy has the same license

It could be construed as a 'donation' which there is another section on page 15 of the Regs

DONATING GAME MEAT :
Donation certificates are required for all game-meat donations. Certificates must show names, addresses and telephone numbers of donor and recipient; donor’s hunting license number; species and amounts donated; date of kill; donor’s signature. The certificate can be a simple note; no special form required. It must stay with the meat until completely consumed. Donor and recipient are subject to bag and possession limits.

NOTE: A “like license” is a license for exactly the same species, sex, season and method of take as a donor’s license. 1. You can donate to someone WITH or WITHOUT a like license: a. any amount of processed and packaged game meat, anywhere.

2. You can donate to someone WITHOUT a like license: a. up to 20 pounds of unprocessed meat, anywhere. b. more than 20 pounds of unprocessed meat, only at recipient’s home.

3. You can donate to someone WITH a like license: a. up to 20 pounds of unprocessed meat, anywhere. b. more than 20 pounds of unprocessed meat, anywhere, only if: (1) recipient’s license is unfilled, and (2) recipient’s carcass tag is on the meat. This establishes recipient’s claim to his/her portion of meat and voids his/her license. Donor’s tag must remain with his/her portion. c. the entire carcass, if: (1) recipient’s license is unfilled, and (2) donor’s carcass tag and recipient’s like-license carcass tag is on the meat, voiding both licenses.

Colorado will look at your note pull out the scale and promptly issue a citation. Seen it happen

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Back