Camper shell buildout

mobohunter

Lil-Rokslider
As many emails as he sent out at the beginning, it sure has been quiet. I’d be worried if I were leaving for an early September hunt, I won’t need mine till November so I’m confident we will have by then. Buddy of mine ordered original and his was delivered in Feb/March of this year.
Literally I say this today and my pack rack arrived!

No shipping notification or anything it just showed up.

jeffpg

WKR
It looks like the Pack Kit on sale for $699 has my name on it. I can’t find any negatives…

I got an email this morning saying that a shipping label had been created. It shows that it’s coming from San Diego, so I’m sure I’ll get it in the next few days or early next week. I’ll post pictures after I get it and put it the truck.

cjdewese

WKR
I built a platform and drawer system, I would prefer to be able to put a pack rack style bed in and take it out, but I like to have some stuff in my truck, but keep it out if sight and prevent sliding around— just simple stuff like Jack, tiedowns, trailer stuff, jumper cables, chain, stuff like that that I use fairly frequently. If I were to build this again, I would do it fairly similarly, but make a few minor changes that would allow it to be removed and put back in very easily. Mine has two drawers that slide up to the wheel wells. then forward of the wheel wells there are two side-opening wing doors that open up for tools and stuff like that. I can open the wing doors from the side windows on my cap.
Biggest camper upgrades have been Velcro-in bug netting. My cap is carpet lined, so the hook-side of Velcro sticks directly to it. That allows easy bug netting adjustment, and I just stick it to the ceiling to keep it out of the way permanently. I’m working on a tent that would fit over the open rear door of the cap and hang down with bug netting, that would be waterproof but prevent bugs from getting in. Hot, humid summers make ventilation pretty key in this thing. The side windows on the cap are great for ventilation in dry weather, but if it’s raining out, they direct water down into the window, so you really want to be able to leave them closed and still maintain good venting.View attachment 742207
This is really similar to how I did my Tacoma when I had it. I made 1 larger compartment up against the truck cab that went from side to side behind the wheel wells and would keep things I only had to get out once or would rarely use back there. Then I had 2 drawers with 1 that had a lid that I used as a table for making sandwiches or setting up for fishing.

I still say that a camper shell with that sort of system is the best on the go style camping there is. My wife and I did thousands of miles out of one when we were 1st married before the kids came. You can be extremely comfortable and efficient with this type of setup.

3e17ff109eb33a2ab600350a8a8bb92c.jpg

Mine is super basic but I kind of like it that way. I’ve thought about building a cabinet with sliding drawers but it hasn’t been worth it to me yet. I can toss in bins for gear and pull this all out easily. I have loved the carpet. It’s just an outdoor waterproof carpet from Lowe’s. Cost me about $40

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cjdewese

WKR
3e17ff109eb33a2ab600350a8a8bb92c.jpg

Mine is super basic but I kind of like it that way. I’ve thought about building a cabinet with sliding drawers but it hasn’t been worth it to me yet. I can toss in bins for gear and pull this all out easily. I have loved the carpet. It’s just an outdoor waterproof carpet from Lowe’s. Cost me about $40

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If it were just me this is how I would do one now. The idea of being able to turn sideways and sit up would be nice.

I ended up building my own bed platform. I made it as tall as I could so I had space for taller bins beneath it. But not so tall that I couldn't sit up on the bed without my head touching the ceiling. I have a mid-height topper. I can fit three good size bins under the platform. They sit on a slide I can pull out so I don't have to crawl to the back of the truck to access bins further back.

Attachments

• IMG_2837.jpeg
    IMG_2837.jpeg
    363.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2091.jpeg
    IMG_2091.jpeg
    508.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2092.jpeg
    IMG_2092.jpeg
    505.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2090.jpeg
    IMG_2090.jpeg
    500.7 KB · Views: 30

Marshfly

WKR
Roll-a-cot since it only has two legs and will clear the wheel well. Then just use clear bins. Building something heavy that is a PITA to remove makes no sense for occasional use.

Also, Bedrug. 100% Bedrug. I use the one without sides now. I will never have another truck with a topper without one. Soooo much more comfy inside.

hunting1

WKR
Easy button for a cot that goes over the wheel well. I do this for fishing but for elk my cooler is too big.

Longleaf

Lil-Rokslider
I went diy drawers so my dog box would fit, I usually sleep were the box is (6.5ft bed). Right side I have a 70ah house battery with charger and breaker box for outlets. One drawer for tools and the other for guns. Everything I built was from YouTube.
1316B574-66B4-4FE5-91D9-CB55522394C7.jpeg
11250B2A-C262-44E4-8D06-A5A6FA8F962B.jpeg