Camp Tarp Shelter

robie

WKR
I'm going caribou hunting this fall and like the idea of having a large tarp for the group to hang out/cook under if the rain comes. We will all have our own tents.

Does anyone have any experience running a separate tarp as a common space in camp?

Anyone run one of the following? We have 4 guys so I don't see any of the any of the smaller tarps working out.

Big Agnes - 196 x 126/204/153 inches - $250
https://www.rei.com/product/128999/big-agnes-deep-creek-tarp-shelter

Luxe Batwing Tarp - 16'x16' - $115 poles not included
https://luxe-hiking-gear.com/products/batwing-group-lightweight-tarp

REI Camp Tarp 16 - 16'x16' - $99 poles not included
https://www.rei.com/product/894000/rei-co-op-camp-tarp-16

Depending on location you may be challenged to find trees to pitch it tall enough unless you bring poles.
Any of those would work but so would a nice blue one from Walmart.

wytx

WKR
I just bought on Basspro website as they were on sale. Going to try it out this fall elk hunting, we'll have trees and a wall tent though.
Lots of folks use them as one man camp shelters and as group covers in camp up here. Just have to make sure it is tethered well.

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Kelty Noah's Tarp (20x20), which is more or less identical to the REI tarp you list and use it for common space on trips where I am near the truck or not packing it in very far. They are often available on sale and seem like a good value for the cost. I like it (good for sun and rain) and you can pitch it over a site with two poles. Another pole or two gives you more options. It is big, but something about the catenary cut the coverage seems to be not quite as wide as you would otherwise think from the dimensions. This may be true of all the tarps you list, but for the trip you describe I would be concerned about bringing enough stakes and lines for battening it down in high winds when pitching with poles rather than tying off to a tree or other fixed anchor.

So this might not really be what you’re looking for, but we often use free standing tarps (Kelty Sunshades), in our base camps for added covered space to cook under, hangout under in inclement weather, store extra gear under, etc. You can pitch them tall with a smaller footprint, or spread them out for a much larger footprint and not so tall.
9ef9890c0c4e452a8298ae1921c52894.jpg

a8ba963e678f867e3ca8d722f0372ce5.jpg

3374a93c0aebef57356bfaf148c8d391.jpg

8fd7c9050a9ca34c0a6911da334e619b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
robie

robie

WKR
So this might not really be what you’re looking for, but we often use free standing tarps (Kelty Sunshades), in our base camps for added covered space to cook under, hangout under in inclement weather, store extra gear under, etc. You can pitch them tall with a smaller footprint, or spread them out for a much larger footprint and not so tall.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is exactly what we are planning on using it for. Thanks for the pictures. I will check out the Kelty