Camp shoe in the snow?

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider
I've read lots of good stuff on here about camp shoe options, I'm curious to know if anyone has found any good options when the temps are very cold and/or the ground is snowy.
I try very hard to keep my multi-day backpack kit light, but I also *need* a camp shoe alternative to get my mountain boots off at the end of the day. I used knock-off crocs at camp this year while on goat and moose hunts and 1) I was dangerously slipping and sliding around in the wet snow, and 2) damn my feet got cold and my backup socks got wet!

I'm thinking some combo of a minimalist trailrunner or water shoe (for traction) that is oversized to fit a thick waterproof sock.....thoughts?

So:
- traction
- doesn't absorb any water
- insulation
- super lightweight

OP
Holmes

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider
Thick wool socks, bread bags, Crocs?
thick wool socks and bread bags is a nice simple solution. simple is usually good.....I like it.
gotta find something with some traction to slide over that combo

OP
Holmes

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider
oh I should add; in non-snowy conditions I use Xero sandals in camp. And I have weatherproof down booties for winter hut trips, but they're pretty useless for tent camping.

thick wool socks and bread bags is a nice simple solution. simple is usually good.....I like it.
gotta find something with some traction to slide over that combo
Crocs, but not the classics. Get the kind with a heel strap. Tall enough soul to keep you up off the mud or snow. Decent texture both on the soul and under your feet (little raised dots under your feet).

Crocs and seal skinz socks. Perfect for river crossing and wet camp areas. In ice, we add a pair if light duty hiker chainz for grip. Not sure the sock model but mine goes up a hair higher than my hiking socks do

OP
Holmes

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider
Crocs and seal skinz socks. Perfect for river crossing and wet camp areas. In ice, we add a pair if light duty hiker chainz for grip. Not sure the sock model but mine goes up a hair higher than my hiking socks do
Sealskinz socks look like the thing! But, they also seem to be sold out of the extreme cold version everywhere. boo.

When I'm out in winter conditions like this I carry microspikes for my hunting boots....never thought of trying them on my crocs while in camp. worth a shot...I'll try it out this weekend. thanks!

Last edited:
OP
Holmes

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider
Cabin booties.
yeah, see my previous note up there . I have a few pairs of cabin booties (down and synthetic, ultra-light and with a rubberized sole). They don't work. They get wet in deep snow and they have no traction.

Right now I'm thinking of getting a set of replacement Vibram soles and trying to glue those onto the bottom of some Croc-like clogs. I almost slid off a huge cliff in the middle of the night a few years ago when I went out to take a piss in my plastic clogs 😂. And I've taken a faceplant while cleaning up from dinner while wearing my down booties.

Sealskinz socks look like the thing! But, they also seem to be sold out of the extreme cold version everywhere. boo.

They are thing. Haha. I first found them when we a buddy suggested them for lightweight snowshoe backpacking. We would rock a pair of altra lone peak light weight shoes along with these and that combo was AWESOME! Then I started bringing them with the idea that if my boots waterproofing failed and it was snowy out, Id be good to go. Since then I basically just keep them in my bag and wear at camp or when my feet get way to cold in my boots in the early am.

As for the versions, So far, I don't really use the super cold version. But I also run hot.

Yaktrak makes the shoe spikes.

Sealskinz for socks:
*I will say I have destroyed the gloves and think they are junk. Socks have done well though.

Crocs for the light option.

These for the comfort option if your feet kill you at the end of the day.....

Feathered Friends makes a lightweight camp bootie with a separate down sock that fits inside. The shell is waterproof and has a fabric on the sole that sticks to the snow. Weighs around 9ozs and made in USA.
They’re great for shuffling around in the snow and hanging out in the tent. You don’t want to walk very far in them, especially on steep terrain or anything sharp.
I’ve had a pair for 12 yrs or so. Used them on climbing trips in Alaska where we camped on a glacier for a couple weeks at a time. Also used them hut skiing.

Laned

WKR
oh I should add; in non-snowy conditions I use Xero sandals in camp. And I have weatherproof down booties for winter hut trips, but they're pretty useless for tent camping.
Several companies make lightweight compressible overboots for those down booties mainly as a waterproofing layer.

Sent from my SM-G715U1 using Tapatalk

OP
Holmes

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider
I did NOT know that, cool! I’ll go look those up, sound ideal

I use diving boots with socks. They weigh 6oz per pair and have plenty of traction. Cheap too. The last pair I bought were $12 on amazon

OP
Holmes

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks Tree'em....checking these out now. Look promising

*zap*

WKR
Dive booties are great for water crossings.....good tread and some decent support. Much better than crocs or getting footwear soaked, fairly light. You could probably make it out of the woods with dive booties on if your boots had some type of issue.....and were not useable.

Camp when it is cold or wet I like a shell overboot with down booties under it for cold. Synthetic booties like usmc happy booties are very good for around camp in less than very cold temps. My WM booties are bigger than I need and I wear a synthetic bootie under them so if I need to walk around I take the WM's off unless it is wet and then I wear my overboot shells. For a shell overboot I found some on ebay a few years ago and they go over anything I wear n my feet easily, very good for wet conditions because they come off e-z and you can have a bootie on under them. They are OR brand and they have a light padding/insulation in them.

Last edited:

Wetwork

Lil-Rokslider
I've alway's like the LLBean moccs. I get a new pair every few year's. Not as lightweight as wearing sockie's, but if you actually have to take off walking or really do anything substantial I think they are perfect.-WW