Camp Location

A little context: Hunting Mountain/Alpine Blacktail and Black Bear in Western Washington

Coming from a backpacking background, I enjoyed nothing more than camping right near a water source or ridgeline. As I’ve transitioned further into hunting, I’ve gotta ask. Am I correct in assuming I should not camp on a ridgeline overlooking a basin I’ll be hunting? I feel like not camping right next to a water source is an obvious one, but in regards to scenting out the whole area I’ll be hunting, would it be best to camp a couple hundred feet below the ridge on the opposite side of where I’m glassing the following morning?

Apologies if this is a no-brainer. Hunting solo, so any outside input is always appreciated.

I would not camp in any spot in which my scent may drift into an area I want to hunt, or where I might be visable. I also want to be far enough away where incidental noise made won't be geard by game.

OP
pnwsteelheader
Makes sense. Seems like thermals go down hill each night? I guess this may vary from spot to spot, season by season, but generally speaking, down at night, up in the morning?

Makes sense. Seems like thermals go down hill each night? I guess this may vary from spot to spot, season by season, but generally speaking, down at night, up in the morning?
Generally speaking, yes. Obviously wind conditions can change that.

tttoadman

WKR
The high altitude blactail area I frequent also comes with the large wilderness burn areas. I try to setup camp in the timber atleast 1/2 mile in from the burn area.

I agree on the backside of the ridge, but it can suck to find a flat spot to camp on. I dont worry so much about getting close to the top of a ridge. I just make sure I am not also getting too close to a crossover chute.

OP
pnwsteelheader
I’ve got a pretty good habit of marking bivy setup locations whenever I find them. Figure a 2-500’ climb to a glassing position first thing in the morning isn’t too bad of a thing.

3Esski

Lil-Rokslider
I don't like camping in the drainage I plan to hunt, so backside and down from ridge would be where I would be. I don't see the issue being close to water but I do have a few spots that I have to fill up before I hike back to camp for the evening because my spot dictates that.