Calling all Crispi boot owners!!

OP
Zonk44

Zonk44

FNG
If it’s your first pair of mountain boots I understand, also if you are like me and only owned Irish setters or Rocky’s prior to a supposed premium stuff sole boot, it makes more sense. I own two pairs of crispis. I want to like them. But I simply can’t. I’ve tried to change the insole for comfort. That made them less comfortable imo. Kenetreks for me. I’m in my 8th season on my mountain extremes. Might need to send them out for a new sole next year.
This makes sense . I’m use to a much flatter boot sole. Was the rocker on the Kenetreks a lot less defined ?

TheHammer

WKR
This makes sense . I’m use to a much flatter boot sole. Was the rocker on the Kenetreks a lot less defined ?
I do not think the kenetreks have a less definitive rocker. If it is it isn’t by much. The boot imo is just a much better boot for my foot. Just takes a lot of hating them before they break in.

deltadukman

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a SE whitetail hunter who lives in Lacrosses and Russell moccasins 3/4's of the year. My first pair of boots were the Kenia's as well. It takes a little bit of getting used to the feel but they are awesome. They have a little more flex than most so aren't super stiff once broken in. That said, it took the majority of the spring summer to get them broken in good. Walking in them starting out a mile or so and progressing up to 5, cutting the yard, etc. Then pack rucking this summer. I actually just cleaned them up and reconditioned them last night. They are like tennis shoes now. I also ditched the insoles and found some that fit my feet. I love those boots. I have a pair of Colorados as well but prefer the all leather Kenia's.

Venom One

WKR
I bought a pair of Crispi Kenai's recently and wore them for late season. Never noticed or paid attention to this "rocker", but after reading this thread, I vaguely remember feeling what the OP described when walking on pavement or hard, flat ground. In the woods, it isn't noticeable. I really like the boots and intend to keep them a long time. I did replace the insoles - not sure if that changes anything for this issue.

Fullfan

WKR
Two pr of Crispi Idahos and one of the Laponias, all required a diff insole. I went with Superfeet Max hike.

Jaquomo

WKR
It's a style of boot that I had to get used to (the rocker toe) after a lifetime of living, hunting, and backpacking in the CO mountains, but once I did, the Thors are my go-to elk boot for hunting, scouting, and all around mountain hiking. I like how it sort of propels me forward. Like others, I added a hard arch support insole. Love the boot

Scoot

WKR
I have 3 pairs of Crispis- love them all. Nevadas are my favorite. But because they work for me doesn't mean they will for you...

manitou1

WKR
Did you get use to it? Do you like the rocker? Sounds just like what I’m dealing with
Yes, it actually assists you once you get used to them. It doesn't take long to get used to as it is mostly noticeable on flat tile, concrete, etc. On uneven terrain it is far less noticeable and it becomes almost unnoticeable pretty quicky.
At least that how it is for me.
Many manufacturers of mountain hikers/boots have this and it is designed to help in inclines, rough terrain, etc. At least that is how it works for me.

rootacres

WKR
Most western hunting boots have a rocker built in. Thats what gives you that rolling forward feeling. I think you'll get used to it. I too spend most my time midwest whitetail hunting. I picked up some Crispi Nevadas for most my western hunting. Their rocker is similar to what you have. When you're not on pavement it's less noticeable. For me these boots have been very comfortable. The 3 flex rating is a good place to start in my opinion.

Seems like most people already covered the design of the rocker and how it changes on natural ground. Definitely less noticeable on dirt and rocks.

I'll add that weight makes a huge difference as well. Walking around on my wood floors trying out boots is dramatically different compared to how they feel with a heavy pack. I load up 70 or 80 pounds and walk around the house a bit when trying on new boots because that stiffness in the boot is vastly different when loaded.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
You’ll get used to them and they will feel better when you’re in the hills hiking with a pack. They aren’t designed for walking on sidewalks etc.

And flexing them by hand…..that’s about as useful as shaking around a fishing pole to see how it casts.

mitchellmountain

Lil-Rokslider
Have a pair of Crispi summits that I had 30-40 miles on , spent a good 4 hours hiking steep hills after the break in and they ate up my heels pretty well, nothing a bit of Leuko tape wouldn't have prevented but I wasn't expecting it. They are good boots overall but for me I prefer the Schnees beartooths when I'm doing a lot of uphill, no issues at all on heel slippage for me in those boots.

ThorM465

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
If it’s your first pair of mountain boots I understand, also if you are like me and only owned Irish setters or Rocky’s prior to a supposed premium stiff* sole boot, it makes more sense. I own two pairs of crispis. I want to like them. But I simply can’t. I’ve tried to change the insole for comfort. That made them less comfortable imo. Kenetreks for me. I’m in my 8th season on my mountain extremes. Might need to send them out for a new sole next year.
What type of foot do you have? For instance I have a wide flat foot. I'm leaning heavily toward a pair of Crispis for an elk hunt because from what I've seen from the reviewers online was that crispi boots were perfect for this foot type.

TheHammer

WKR
What type of foot do you have? For instance I have a wide flat foot. I'm leaning heavily toward a pair of Crispis for an elk hunt because from what I've seen from the reviewers online was that crispi boots were perfect for this foot type.
Do you want pictures? Any specific poses? 😂😂😂. Just kidding. The front is wide. Short toes. Well arched. Very calloused from being in my work boots 90+hrs a week. I rotate between 3 pairs/brands of work boots throughout the week. When I wear my crispis the outer ball of my foot gets sore along with the top of my foot.

I noticed similar toe lift with my lapponia's with their rocker design. Biggest issue is standing in a still position can start to put pressure on the bottom of the foot behind the toes. My sheep feet insoles helped with any pressure point until my feet were use to that type of rocker. Don't judge a boot until you have put some miles on them.

Superdoo

WKR
comment on forcibly "flexing" the boot in store got me. I remember the guy in scheels doing that on the first boot I looked at. He grabbed the boot by the heel and while on his knees put all of his weight on it to show me that it would flex. He bent the toe dang near back to the tongue.
I said, "thanks for the demo on how to ruin a boot. Could you go grab a different pair now?"
When he asked why, I asked him if his toes had ever touched the top of his foot while walking. Then he understood.

I went with Han Wag Ancash 2's. They've been great from the mountains to the prairie.

prm

WKR
I finally have enough miles on my Crispi Kenais to know they will be what use for the future. I am actually really happy with them! Stiff enough, but not crazy stiff. I added Superfeet Adapt Hike insoles and they are perfect for me. I can't say I notice these boots rocking any more than other similar boots. Enough to make walking on pavement or similar hard ground easy, but not really noticed on softer ground.

I have hated mine. When I wore them around the store the day I bought them, I loved them and was like "I found my boot." Fast forward a few months to hunting season and 8 miles a day or so, my heels were wrecked. I tried every lacing technique, 3 different insoles, etc and they aren't the ones for me. But some people love them. Anyone want to buy a pair of size 12 Nevadas with probably 100 miles on them?