Calling all Crispi boot owners!!

Zonk44

FNG
Hey everyone . I just purchased the Crispi Keani for my first year of elk hunting coming up. My initial thoughts are it’s a super comfortable well made boot but when I walk in them it feels very odd. Once the pad of my foot touches it doesn’t roll into the toe portion.. feels more like falling off a cliff… being a Midwest whitetail hunter I’ve never owned a pair of mountain boots and was just curious is this just a design thing? Maybe just needs a good break in ? I’d like to keep the boot just not sure what to think . Appreciate any feed back!

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
Hey everyone . I just purchased the Crispi Keani for my first year of elk hunting coming up. My initial thoughts are it’s a super comfortable well made boot but when I walk in them it feels very odd. Once the pad of my foot touches it doesn’t roll into the toe portion.. feels more like falling off a cliff… being a Midwest whitetail hunter I’ve never owned a pair of mountain boots and was just curious is this just a design thing? Maybe just needs a good break in ? I’d like to keep the boot just not sure what to think . Appreciate any feed back!
Trying to understand what youbare explaining here. Do you mean that the sole is too stiff so when your normally walk in a pair of softer shoes you get the flex when you roll on the ball of your foot and push off?

When I tried on crispi at Scheels they flexed the boot by bending in half - as they did with other boots I tried on - because they stated they were stiff until you get them trail worn. Can also flex them on curb etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Zonk44

Zonk44

FNG
Trying to understand what youbare explaining here. Do you mean that the sole is too stiff so when your normally walk in a pair of softer shoes you get the flex when you roll on the ball of your foot and push off?
If I were to place the boot flat on the ground the toe section wouldn’t be touching the ground . There is a slight upward angle to it, so when I stand up strait with them on my toes are not touching the ground. I don’t know if this will change with the break in period but the boot kinda rocks forward when I take a step since the tipping point is essentially the pad of my foot

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
If I were to place the boot flat on the ground the toe section wouldn’t be touching the ground . There is a slight upward angle to it, so when I stand up strait with them on my toes are not touching the ground. I don’t know if this will change with the break in period but the boot kinda rocks forward when I take a step since the tipping point is essentially the pad of my foot
I see what you mean now. I don't have the Kenai but I do have the briksdals.

On the briksdals and potentially on more of their models they have what they call a rocker. I got it explained to me that since they do have stiff soles (mountain boots) the rocker helps you walk on flatter ground. I can attest that this is true. I used to have a pair of Lowa Tibets that was like walking with a 2×4 underneath your foot. It was great on the mountain but anything remotely flat sucked. I could tell a big difference once I got the briksdals with the rocker.

I do not know for sure that this the case on the Kenai but would explain what you are experiencing.

OP
Zonk44

Zonk44

FNG
I see what you mean now. I don't have the Kenai but I do have the briksdals.

On the briksdals and potentially on more of their models they have what they call a rocker. I got it explained to me that since they do have stiff soles (mountain boots) the rocker helps you walk on flatter ground. I can attest that this is true. I used to have a pair of Lowa Tibets that was like walking with a 2×4 underneath your foot. It was great on the mountain but anything remotely flat sucked. I could tell a big difference once I got the briksdals with the rocker.

I do not know for sure that this the case on the Kenai but would explain what you are experiencing.
Did you get use to it? Do you like the rocker? Sounds just like what I’m dealing with

Jd259

WKR

Lvthntitall

Lil-Rokslider
You will also have to get used to the feel of a stiff boot. Best thing to do is throw 50 pounds in a pack go find the steepest area you can find (ravine, pond dam) preferably with rocks and walk up and down it. Once you do, it everything that feels awkward will make sense.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Not every foot works in every boot! I was told the Kennetrek Mountain Extremes were THE bees knees and the last boot I'd ever need. Tried a pair on and they were horribly uncomfortable. Walked around the store for 10 minutes and said heck no.

You cannot buy boots online and expect them to just magically fit your feet. Remember how your mom used to take you to the store and buy you shoes, see where your toe hits, and if they feel good/slip at all?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If I were to place the boot flat on the ground the toe section wouldn’t be touching the ground.
I have five pairs of boots and I just looked at them all. Every pair is like that, with the toes off the ground. Frankly, I've never even paid attention to that and have never experienced any kind of discomfort with any of them on flat or steep ground. I don't think it will be an issue for you.

nphunter

WKR
Hated the Crispi Nevadas I bought. Wore them shed hunting one time and sold them in the classifieds. Can’t stand the rocker and the boots were no stiffer than my cheap keens. Previous boots were Miendls and zamberlans. Since I’ve switch to Scarpa and that’s about all I wear beside tennis shoes.

Rocker in a boot is silly, if you’re waking on flat ground wear a shoe or light hiker. I have put hundreds of miles on my Grand Dru’s and they have a steel shank. There is a lot of hype around Crispi but they were defiantly not for me.

TheHammer

WKR
If it’s your first pair of mountain boots I understand, also if you are like me and only owned Irish setters or Rocky’s prior to a supposed premium stiff* sole boot, it makes more sense. I own two pairs of crispis. I want to like them. But I simply can’t. I’ve tried to change the insole for comfort. That made them less comfortable imo. Kenetreks for me. I’m in my 8th season on my mountain extremes. Might need to send them out for a new sole next year.

Last edited:

ljalberta

WKR
The Crispi rockers are quite aggressive compared to most other brands I’ve tried. In the Colorados it can feel odd at first, but I’ve come to quite appreciate it. I don’t think the Colorados are a very stiff boot, although Crispi rates them at 4/5 stiffness.

I like to replace the insoles on my boots, but I don’t find it effects the rocker feeling you’re describing.

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
Did you get use to it? Do you like the rocker? Sounds just like what I’m dealing with
I have come to appreciate it very much. Like I said the lowa I had were very stiff and flat, so when walking on flatter ground it was really hard push off the front of your foot and engaging your calf muscles. Not sure where you are gonna go hiking but where I've been in AK sheep hunting there is always hiking on flatter ground involved at some point.

The rocker on the crispis made it way better for me. When walking in those the rocker allows your feet too roll over to the front of you foot when pushing off. Making it more natural movement.

I think you will get used to it. Also like other ppl mentioned if these are your first mountain boots then you may not be used to a stiffer boot that some ppl prefer on the mountains.

I looked up the Kenai and they are rated at 3 stiffness on blackovis. Regular briksdals are a 4, I sent those back cause I didn't think they were not stiff enough. The briksdals SF are a 5 believe and yet they to me are not as stiff as the tibets I used to have.

But I think it has alot to do with what you like and prefer. Also how much you weigh and how much your pack weighs.

A side note, yes the insoles in crispis are junk and I would change them to superfeet or any other insoles of your liking. They will not help with the sensation you are feeling right now. They will however support your arch better which is nice when carrying a heavy pack.

Like somebody else suggested. If you have the option of going to a store and testing boots out it is by far the best way to go about it.