California’s finest hunting club...

J Batt

WKR
I got a good laugh out of this. These guys were hunting around my area.
Hope this brightens someone’s day.

OP
J Batt

J Batt

WKR
The fact that one of them was compelled to announce that to the warden had me rolling. Like a Will Farrel movie.

Been in that store when in Piru to shoot at the range there. That is one small town, fits in your hip pocket. Now it's finally famous for somerthing. Nice bust guys!

htlt_surfboards

Lil-Rokslider
I got a good laugh out of this. These guys were hunting around my area.
Hope this brightens someone’s day.
I live and hunt in the area as well. I always wonder how big bucks get in the Sespe with no one hunting them, I was hoping there would be more photos of what they killed in there.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Decades ago I got into a group of folks (~ 10) that were from a California hunting club (thinking it was LA area, but can't recall). This was in Jordan, Montana (home of the infamous Freeman and population about 50)

Got several complaints from landowners on these guys trespassing, most of these right off of Highway 200- see something, pullover and shoot.

I waited for them at the motel they were staying and they got in just at dark. Had 2-3 animals in their vehicles (iirc a deer and a couple of antelope), nothing tagged.

I grabbed one guy and started interviewing him, he gave me the skinny on exactly what had been killed, who killed it and where the critters were. Interviewed a couple of more and they eventually corroborated what the first guy told me. I called up my sergeant to give me a hand (he was about 45 minutes out).

Ultimately several cases of transferring licenses (some guys weren't that into hunting and gave their licenses up), couple of over limits, multiple untagged animals, hunting w/o permission, etc. We ended seizing a dozen + critters (there may have been one or two legal ones out of the whole bunch) and wrote a dozen + citations.

When we were all done we told them we had to get bond money from them or they would go to jail (this was the case for all nonresidents at the time, before the Wildlife Compact). The groups leader asked if he could just write one check to cover everything? Sergeant said he could, but reminded him if the check bounced it was a felony (it was a BIG check). The guy wrote a check for a couple of thousand dollars- such and such, California Hunting Club :ROFLMAO: The judge got a kick out of it too.

jayhawk

WKR
This is straight out of a 3 Stooges episode.

The E-bike crew? Maybe this answers the "E-bike new scourge of public land" thread

"The group was coordinated, wore camouflage and communicated via radio" That's some high-tech poaching right there.

JStol5

WKR
I’ve hunted Sespe. Tough country. Only deer I found was the one that ran in front of my car and I damn near hit 🤣

KHNC

WKR
This is straight out of a 3 Stooges episode.

The E-bike crew? Maybe this answers the "E-bike new scourge of public land" thread

"The group was coordinated, wore camouflage and communicated via radio" That's some high-tech poaching right there.
Devgru guys out of San Diego for sure.

Pro953

WKR
Still a little hung up on Taxidermized. I had never seen the word used that way. Learn something new everyday.

Not sure why someone with a Mexican name immediately makes someone ask if they are legal. Have you spent much time in the south or west of the US?

Either way. Glad the charges and bond are pretty significant. I hope it sticks and hits them hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
Decades ago I got into a group of folks (~ 10) that were from a California hunting club (thinking it was LA area, but can't recall). This was in Jordan, Montana (home of the infamous Freeman and population about 50)

Got several complaints from landowners on these guys trespassing, most of these right off of Highway 200- see something, pullover and shoot.

I waited for them at the motel they were staying and they got in just at dark. Had 2-3 animals in their vehicles (iirc a deer and a couple of antelope), nothing tagged.

I grabbed one guy and started interviewing him, he gave me the skinny on exactly what had been killed, who killed it and where the critters were. Interviewed a couple of more and they eventually corroborated what the first guy told me. I called up my sergeant to give me a hand (he was about 45 minutes out).

Ultimately several cases of transferring licenses (some guys weren't that into hunting and gave their licenses up), couple of over limits, multiple untagged animals, hunting w/o permission, etc. We ended seizing a dozen + critters (there may have been one or two legal ones out of the whole bunch) and wrote a dozen + citations.

When we were all done we told them we had to get bond money from them or they would go to jail (this was the case for all nonresidents at the time, before the Wildlife Compact). The groups leader asked if he could just write one check to cover everything? Sergeant said he could, but reminded him if the check bounced it was a felony (it was a BIG check). The guy wrote a check for a couple of thousand dollars- such and such, California Hunting Club The judge got a kick out of it too.
Thank you so much for doing what you did. I have friends every year try to get me in to that gray area in the fish and game laws. Not happening. Ever.

After 22 years in the CHP I'm retiring at the end of the month. I'm an avid hunter and fisherman, and it would just blow my mind at some of the things people did concerning game laws and the weak punishments they received. Must be frustrating at times. I know on my end, over the last few years lots of guys just stopped being proactive.

Anyways,,, of rant...

I'm glad these guys got caught. It juat makes hunters look so bad..

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk