California SB 856 Hog Hunting Rule Changes - Curious what you think

AM_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I know what you meant by that... but do understand some of us in SoCal would LOVE the opportunity to kill the freak outta some pigs. They even have them in Riverside... they were even EFF'ing the lawns in this city park! They live in the Santa Ana River pathway which is very thick in places.

The leadership is soo dumb though. Here are all these people who'd love to hunt them, wouldn't mine trying to go after them with bow if they had to. But you know darn well they'll end up hiring depredation services to do and of course send US the bill in the form of taxes.
Its such a shame isnt it, I saw an article about a women getting chased by a massive pig in Corona. Ive heard some live on public land out here but I haven't been able to find any. I also heard the pig problem is becoming so bad in riverside county they may actually end up opening it up to hunting again. Not gonna get my hopes up but my fingers are crossed.

SDHNTR

WKR
The problem is the state can’t make up its mind. On one hand they want to choose to manage the wild pig as a game animal. And on the other hand, they want their numbers reduced or eliminated as an invasive species. You can’t do both simultaneously!

Last edited:

Azone

WKR
I know what you meant by that... but do understand some of us in SoCal would LOVE the opportunity to kill the freak outta some pigs. They even have them in Riverside... they were even EFF'ing the lawns in this city park! They live in the Santa Ana River pathway which is very thick in places.

The leadership is soo dumb though. Here are all these people who'd love to hunt them, wouldn't mine trying to go after them with bow if they had to. But you know darn well they'll end up hiring depredation services to do and of course send US the bill in the form of taxes.
I was referring to wolves in this post, I don’t want wolves.
If you guys from so cal want to head north and shoot some nicely fattened up barley field hogs more power to you. It’s not entirely a private land game though, I passed up a couple on public land while deer hunting and a friend of mine passed up several.
Depredation services are a private business that would have to carry an insurance policy. Liability is the reason why so many say no anymore to granting strangers access in this lawsuit addicted world. I’ve seen people pull some real head scratchers when they’re out hunting or just driving off paved roads in general. Kill somebody, sued. Roll a vehicle and kill your self, family sues you.

AM_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I was referring to wolves in this post, I don’t want wolves.
If you guys from so cal want to head north and shoot some nicely fattened up barley field hogs more power to you. It’s not entirely a private land game though, I passed up a couple on public land while deer hunting and a friend of mine passed up several.
Depredation services are a private business that would have to carry an insurance policy. Liability is the reason why so many say no anymore to granting strangers access in this lawsuit addicted world. I’ve seen people pull some real head scratchers when they’re out hunting or just driving off paved roads in general. Kill somebody, sued. Roll a vehicle and kill your self, family sues you.

Yea thats fair. I know some exist on public land I just havent had the luck of finding them. I've seen em once on public land and that is when I jumped a sounder of piglets at 3' away, never saw the mom. Can't blame the land owners for not wanting the liability of strangers on their land either. Unfortunately if you wanna hunt pigs on private land you either need to be friends with a landowner or have deep pockets. Otherwise, its the game of public land for the rest of us.

Pro953

WKR
It is very easy to get a depredation permit to deal with private land hog issues. Also noted earlier, if you have a issue on private land, hunting can help pressure them off for a time, but if you have feed they will be back, trapping is really the proven method for cutting the population.

It’s really about killing off the private hunting industry. Animal escape is a issue with any farm operation, hunting related or not, this could certainly be managed but not a reason to throw the baby out with the bath water.

Finally the cutting of tag prices. I would say no hunter has skipped on hunting hogs due to the 25.00 tag price. About the only time I can see this coming into play is sometimes you get into a group
Where you could take a double or a triple but you only have one tag. How about we bring back the booklet of five tags for the same 25.00 price tag. I bet we lose very little revenue as most buy the tag as an incidental. I bet the number of hunters that buy multiple pig tags in a year is fairly low. Seems to me it would solve a fair number of concerns without cutting more management revenue from the department and still allowing plenty of opportunity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PVHunter

Lil-Rokslider
The problem is the state can’t make up its mind. On one hand they want to choose to manage the wild pig as a game animal. And on the other hand, they want their numbers reduced or eliminated as an invasive species. You can’t do both simultaneously!

But they did! They created a third category. Only in the people's republic, man.

specifying that the wild pig is not a game mammal or nongame mammal, but rather is an exotic game mammal, a term defined to include wild pigs, feral pigs, and wild boar