California SB 856 Hog Hunting Rule Changes - Curious what you think

Azone

WKR
Do it without the anti hunting junk thrown in. Hogs screw up almost everything they come in contact with. 25.92 for a tag is a joke if they want any real numbers removed from the population.
Would thermal/night vision scopes fall under artificial light?
How long until the yuppies push for wolf reintroduction to manage hog numbers?

Blowdowner

Lil-Rokslider
I’m fairly certain the bill also prevents the creation of new for-profit hunting properties. That’s insane. I know why but it’s still awful.

RadDad

Lil-Rokslider
I live in CA and have hunted for hogs here. My opinion is this will indeed lower the population but it’ll be done by for-profit ranches/guides. Not saying that’s a bad thing, but for a regular Joe like myself, not sure it’ll do much.

MattB

WKR
They are trying to kill hunting preserves by tacking that onto something that on the face would make sense, Like "common sense" gun control.

Azone

WKR
Too long.
Bad joke of the day. Hopefully it never happens because we know they will never be controlled out here through sound science based management. But they will be managed by the emotions of dim wits in the Bay Area or So Cal who won’t have to deal with the problems they will bring.

Bad joke of the day. Hopefully it never happens because we know they will never be controlled out here through sound science based management. But they will be managed by the emotions of dim wits in the Bay Area or So Cal who won’t have to deal with the problems they will bring.
Except it wasn't a joke.

JFK

WKR
I’ll start by saying I don’t support this bill and wrote my legislature in opposition to it, simply because I don’t support more restrictions on hunting here.

That said, I live in Ca and hunt pigs, but I don’t think this will have any impact on pig numbers or pig hunting. The biggest loss to hunters will be lost revenue to our game agency from tag sales that go to manage other game species. I never minded buying pig tags.

The vast majority of pigs are taken on private land and there is significant interest from these landowners in keeping pig numbers up. They run profitable guiding outfits and some make more doing this than on their cattle operations. The vineyards and row crop farmers already have depredation permits and shoot the shit out of pigs. It hardly makes a dent.

Is the reason why they included no fenced hog preserves because they know that the hogs will get out and therefore expand their presence and damage they can cause?

As much as I strongly support entry level, veteran and disabled hunting, I'd be open to consider that maybe wild boar are not the ideal animals for creating that fenced hunting experience for them, due to the potential negative effects to neighbors and the community at large when (not if) they get out.

Just read the Howl summary, so wasn't clear if it eliminates the need for a depredation permit or just the reporting of a kill that was done on the permit?

If it eliminates the depredation permit, that's definitely a good thing for lots of people in Ag who don't run guiding operations and simply would like to eliminate the hog damage. I used to run a 116 acre vineyard where we had wild boar and had many neighbors in the area who had a lot more than we did. The last thing I wanted to deal with was more paperwork for something outside our core business.

Just a few thoughts from experience, trying to see it objectively.

Regarding actually making a dent in their population, I agree that almost all are killed on private land and from what I've heard, trapping is by far the most effective way.

Last edited:

AM_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I don't know if this is gonna make much of a difference for the average CA hunter as far as hunting pigs. Since most pigs are on pvt land and nowadays the cost for a private land "guided" pig hunt is $800+ per pig, the 25$ cost of a tag doesn't make much of a difference. I doubt this'll have any effect on the pig numbers, and the fact that its taking away from youth, disabled, and veteran hunters is also a negative.

I love hunting pigs, I'd do it every weekend if I had the access to it. I think that the only hunter oriented way to deal with the pig problems is gonna be if they increased pvt land access to hunters without the absurd cost but since that is never going to happen as that'd be taking away from land owners that are making a killing off "guided" hunts theyre gonna have to start trapping or hunting them with helicopters or hired hunters.

RadDad

Lil-Rokslider
I don't know if this is gonna make much of a difference for the average CA hunter as far as hunting pigs. Since most pigs are on pvt land and nowadays the cost for a private land "guided" pig hunt is $800+ per pig, the 25$ cost of a tag doesn't make much of a difference. I doubt this'll have any effect on the pig numbers, and the fact that its taking away from youth, disabled, and veteran hunters is also a negative.

I love hunting pigs, I'd do it every weekend if I had the access to it. I think that the only hunter oriented way to deal with the pig problems is gonna be if they increased pvt land access to hunters without the absurd cost but since that is never going to happen as that'd be taking away from land owners that are making a killing off "guided" hunts theyre gonna have to start trapping or hunting them with helicopters or hired hunters.
100% agree. I love me a good hog hunt but have little to no access to quality hunting due to them being on private lands. This bill would only enhance hunting opportunities on already established hunting preserves for guides and outfitters. I only read the article and not the actual bill so maybe I’m missing something?

-RadDad

Azone

WKR

When you have access and what seems like unlimited hogs, that pesky 25 dollars will add up fast.

AM_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
When you have access and what seems like unlimited hogs, that pesky 25 dollars will add up fast.
Lol thats a problem id gladly have any day of the week. Would take more pigs than I could kill in a year for me to start complaining about that, but thats just cuz im starved of finding pigs.

Lol thats a problem id gladly have any day of the week. Would take more pigs than I could kill in a year for me to start complaining about that, but thats just cuz im starved of finding pigs.
Yet money to manage other species would be significantly reduced, and the anti hunting crowd has already planned to use that to their advantage. I can see the courts accepting the anti hunting research as it will be the only available current data; and us hunters suffering the impacts.

Guys, Howl did not do the best job of spelling this out for us, but it is huge.

AM_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Yet money to manage other species would be significantly reduced, and the anti hunting crowd has already planned to use that to their advantage. I can see the courts accepting the anti hunting research as it will be the only available current data; and us hunters suffering the impacts.

Guys, Howl did not do the best job of spelling this out for us, but it is huge.

Yea I agree, like I said Im in no way for this bill. Im just saying I wish there was better access for hunters for pigs other than paying $1000/pig to hunt private land.

TheGDog

WKR
I know what you meant by that... but do understand some of us in SoCal would LOVE the opportunity to kill the freak outta some pigs. They even have them in Riverside... they were even EFF'ing the lawns in this city park! They live in the Santa Ana River pathway which is very thick in places.

The leadership is soo dumb though. Here are all these people who'd love to hunt them, wouldn't mine trying to go after them with bow if they had to. But you know darn well they'll end up hiring depredation services to do and of course send US the bill in the form of taxes.