Caliber black hole

I am currently stuck in the caliber black hole! Building my first custom rifle and can’t land on a caliber to save my life. My intentions for this rifle is kill elk under 500 yards and ring steel at 1,000+. I would like to do it in a bullet bigger than 6.5 and also it has to be in a short action.

Other factors for this caliber:
- new to reloading, have the tools just not the experience. (Not opposed to a wildcat)
- the fact that I can’t find brass anywhere scares me
- i want velocity, not a light weight build so would even run a longer barrel to be in the 2,800 fps + range
-I have a factory 300 wsm so would like something else that could fill a “void”

Calibers that I am currently considering:

-270 WSM (will this brass ever come back in stock or would I be investing into a “dead” caliber)

- 7SS or 270 SS (kind of waiting for the new /B reamers to play out, think it’s worth the wait but I’m getting antsy)

- 7SAW (slower than the other options but I really like the idea of having a gun that can hunt and possibly get me into PRS…) wish there was more information on this round

- 7 SAUM (again, would it be smart to build something I have no components for at the moment)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I am currently stuck in the caliber black hole! Building my first custom rifle and can’t land on a caliber to save my life. My intentions for this rifle is kill elk under 500 yards and ring steel at 1,000+. I would like to do it in a bullet bigger than 6.5 and also it has to be in a short action.

Other factors for this caliber:
- new to reloading, have the tools just not the experience. (Not opposed to a wildcat)
- the fact that I can’t find brass anywhere scares me
- i want velocity, not a light weight build so would even run a longer barrel to be in the 2,800 fps + range
-I have a factory 300 wsm so would like something else that could fill a “void”

Calibers that I am currently considering:

-270 WSM (will this brass ever come back in stock or would I be investing into a “dead” caliber)

- 7SS or 270 SS (kind of waiting for the new /B reamers to play out, think it’s worth the wait but I’m getting antsy)

- 7SAW (slower than the other options but I really like the idea of having a gun that can hunt and possibly get me into PRS…) wish there was more information on this round

- 7 SAUM (again, would it be smart to build something I have no components for at the moment)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
6.8 western.

My recommendation would be a 7SAW or just a straight 7-08AI. I have a 7-08AI built on a Tikka action that has a 20" barrel and I am getting 2810 with 162 grain ELD-X bullets and Varget with good accuracy. I am getting great accuracy at 2775 with the same bullet using H4350.

I would not hesitate to use it on elk and I have rung steel at 1200 with it. It is going to Canada with me this fall as my back-up moose gun (middle CA, not Yukon).

Bertram has lots of 270 wsm in stock if you want that route.

I would shy away from custom wildcats, a bit too niche and possible more work.

I would not recommend a 6.5 for elk, I’ve seen enough to know they can be tough.

I would say the 7 SAUM is what you are looking for! Plenty of speed and high bc bullets, true short action build (Wyatt’s extended box will help) and easy to load for.

TN2shot07

WKR
I love my 7-08 and the ai would squeeze a little more out of it if you feel the need. At reasonable distance you shouldn’t have any problems, especially if you’re loading for it. Component wise a 7-08 or 308 probably isn’t going to be touched for availability. When I first read your question 7 saum and 6.8 western came to mind first and would fill the elk rifle need well.

sndmn11

WKR
From your choices I'd get the 7saw. You won't have trouble finding top notch components, it "fills the void" best with what you already have.

vonb

Lil-Rokslider
Brass availability is the kicker. Everything other than speed screams .308. Maybe .308 with a hammer bullet?

woods89

WKR
Hunt/PRS, hunt to 500, steel to 1000, short action only, and worried about brass and reloading. You probably don't want to hear it but these requirements scream 6.5CM. Thats the easy button and will save $$ and shootability over boutique magnum 7s in a short action (and I love my 7SAUM)
To add,

6.5/260

7-08 or 6.5 CM? I see wildcats as an experienced reloader thing, just because there are more steps to making or sourcing brass that are unnecessary when using a factory caliber.

6.5 PRC can be made a short action as a custom. More speed, ultra flat shooting, good power. Throat it for 150's and let 'er rip.

Any 7mm or 277 shot mag wouldn't really fill any "void" that the 300WSM wouldn't fill. Unless you are looking to dump the 300WSM and want to fill the void it currently fills. If not, get something with a little less recoil, easier to find brass, and shoot slightly lighter bullets to get the velocity you seek. 120's in 6.5 and 7mm should shoot pretty flat.

OP
P
My recommendation would be a 7SAW or just a straight 7-08AI. I have a 7-08AI built on a Tikka action that has a 20" barrel and I am getting 2810 with 162 grain ELD-X bullets and Varget with good accuracy. I am getting great accuracy at 2775 with the same bullet using H4350.

I would not hesitate to use it on elk and I have rung steel at 1200 with it. It is going to Canada with me this fall as my back-up moose gun (middle CA, not Yukon).
Did you go into your build wanting a 21” barrel or what factor made you decide 21? I was looking at WTOs velocity testing and they used a 31” barrel so it was hard to truly determine what to expect. It states a 26” barrel would be needed to get a 162 into that speed range.

OP
P
Hunt/PRS, hunt to 500, steel to 1000, short action only, and worried about brass and reloading. You probably don't want to hear it but these requirements scream 6.5CM. Thats the easy button and will save $$ and shootability over boutique magnum 7s in a short action (and I love my 7SAUM)
Haha when I started typing it out I even had to stop and remind myself why I didn’t want a 6.5 lol the main reason would be wanting to get into that 160 grain+ bullet. How has it been finding brass for your 7SAUM, would you recommend someone building one if they have no brass at the moment.

mmac

WKR
6.5 PRC and you can go with the 156 Berger, close enough to the 160.