Cadomin ram

frans

Lil-Rokslider
It was hard to believe when I saw the draw results this year. I got drawn for a late season bighorn sheep tag, in Alberta's 438C zone. This is the areas around the famous Cadomin mine. And since I had entered the wrong draw code, I got the last of the three ten-day seasons, generally considered the best. So instead of hunting sheep on Sept 4, this year's general opener, my opening day move to November 21st. Months of worrying about cold-weather gear ensued. After visiting the area twice I was not concerned about the physical part, just about the cold, the wind, the waiting game, and pressure from other hunters. Luckily I got good advice from a lot of people, and a hunting partner who vowed to be there from Day 2 till Day 10 if required.

I arrived on Tuesday evening, for the Thursday opener. Wednesday I looked around at the low lying areas of two of the major hunting areas, found sheep in one, and none in the other. Well, they may have been there, but the hurricane-force winds blew up so much drift snow that it was hard to stand up, let alone use binoculars. Opening morning the wind were a little less and and the temperature had risen some, up to about 24 degrees below zero on the Celsius scale. I found rams on the mine (no hunting), and caught up with another tag holder and his son on the mountain. This was not a day for sitting still long, so we retreated fairly quickly.

The second day, Kyle (working on two hours of sleep after driving up after work the previous day) and I climbed to the saddle and found ourselves alone. We saw one ram, with a long and a short horn that didn't excite me, but seeing any ram off the mine was a treat. The next day we expected more pressure, because the access road to the other area had drifted full of snow and could not be used. Just as we left the parking area, a truck with horse trailer showed up. One of the lucky tag holders had hired a guide. We gave'r a rip but they caught up with us, just before the turn-off that lead to the high country. Luckily we were the fitter crew and we grabbed our vantage point long before they arrived. The wind was bearable, but picking up noticeably.

A little later the guide, tag holder and his friend passed above us, without seeing us. As they disappeared over the ridge, the ram from the day before showed up with some ewes. Not much later Kyle, whose eyes are considerably better than mine apparently, noticed the trio sitting beside some rocks, taking aim at the ram. It was exciting watching them get ready, and finally, when the wind temporarily subsided and the ram was free from the ewes, witness the shots. They yelled and we yelled too, much to their surprise. We walked over, congratulated, took photos, etc. Great stuff! The mountain gods must not have been pleased however, because they unleashed a hellish wind storm. Several time Kyle and I got knocked over, and found ourselves sprawling in the scree. We did see a group of ewes followed by one ram climb all the way up to the back wall of the basin and disappear behind a giant slab of black rock. More rams off the mine! Good omen.

Day four the mountain was ours. No sign of the husband and wife that were camped in there somewhere, they likely hunted the adjacent small basin the last few days. Some ewes and rams followed us into the basin, but turned around before the crossed out of the mine. We continued to the high ridge, and quickly found a group of four or five ram (I don't remember which). In them was Chipper, a ram with a long left horn that was chipped. At first glance we had called him a little on the small side, but today killing him felt like the right thing to do. Stalking just on the shadow side of the ridge was easy, and we found them maybe 40 yards behind some rocks.

As we approached the dead ram it appeared like the winds stopped and the sun came out from behind the clouds. Chipper was bigger and heavier than we had thought. The load out was nothing short of painful, but we managed. With the long horn measuring a quarter to half an inch under 40, and basis over 16", he will score just around the 180 mark. What an adventure, what a treat to be surrounded by so many sheep, and great rams every day. I'm happy I got to experience some of the nastiest winds I've ever encountered in my life, I'm happy with the frostbite on my face, but I'm even happier the mountain granted us a few hours reprieve, allowing us to cape and debone in perfect weather. I cannot imagine doing the same thing when it is minus 20 and the winds are over 100 kilometer an hour.

Frans

Attachments

• _MG_3685s.jpg
    _MG_3685s.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 502

Huntr

Lil-Rokslider
Wow, what a fantastic ram! Congratulations!

Would love to have a gear review to know what you used to be comfortable in those kind of conditions!

ksteed17

FNG
Glad I could be there. It was definitely an adventure I won't soon forget. How long till next opener...:)

OP
F

frans

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the congratulations. Here are two shots of Kyle and me with the packs. We did not have too far to go uphill, which was good. It was a journey of fifty steps - rest - fifty steps- rest. It was not so much cardiovascularly constrained, as that my body was sending pain signals in an attempt to inform me that this was way beyond our computer desk comfort zone. After the first ten minutes though I got used to it, as far as you can get used to a load like this, and we managed.

As for gear, it took me a while to get a plan together. In a cash-restricted world, I did not just run out and bought a set of Brand S or Brand K, but I tried to blend what I already had, with a few purchases. I'll put a more detailed review on my blog later but here are the highlights:

While hiking:

No-name brand COSTCO merino-blend long underwear
When really cold: 260 weight merino shirt
Lightweight hiking pants (really lightweight)
Fleece Jacket
KUIU raingear
Gloves with winstopper

This really was enough, I only wore the heavy merino on the first two days.

While stationary:

Get the wet shirt off! It makes all the difference. The days that I didn't do this it took an hour for that chilly feeling along the spine to subside.
Now, on opening day, at the saddle with big winds and big cold, I just couldn't manage. By the time I had my top layers off, my hands were already cherry-red and I had trouble with zippers etc. So I just piled on top of the wet underlayers. We didn't stay long that day, so that was OK.

Dry baselayer shirt
merino shirt
fleece
Browning 700-fill down jacket
KUIU superdown jacket (thanks Kyle!)
Sitka Kelvin pants
KUIU raingear

I had one more jacket that I could wear over all this, but I never brought it up the mountain. Blocking the wind was the most important thing, and the KUIU gear did that well.

What could also help, is to go slowly on the hike up. Don't kill yourself and get absolutely drenched with sweat because you will pay for it when sitting still.

For boots I chose Schnee's Hunter Extremes. I couldn't find sturdier insulated boots in my size, so I went with the pac boots. I added a pair of Arctic Shield boot covers which worked well. I was really happy to have some slip-on crampons with me, which I only used on the downhill withe the ram in the pack. With the heavy load the Schnees were getting a little bit too soft, and the crampons gave me a lot of good grip on the sometimes icy sheep trails.

We were lucky that the extreme cold subsided after the first two days. The terrible winds made things uncomfortable enough on their own.

Frans Diepstraten

Attachments

• IMG_1971s.jpg
    IMG_1971s.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 211
  • image9s.jpg
    image9s.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 216