Aging a Broomed Ram in the Rain

Stumbled across this ram all alone today and wondered what he scores and ages at. At first I thought he was young but after getting a better look he had scars on his face and seemed pretty decently broomed. My guess was 8-10 and scores around 165. I remember reading something that old rams like to be alone and that would explain why he's wintering where he is, 15 miles away from the border of the closest bighorn sheep unit.image2.jpegimage4.jpegIMG_6872.jpg

Attachments

• image5.jpeg
    image5.jpeg
    396.8 KB · Views: 76
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    224 KB · Views: 77
  • image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    127.8 KB · Views: 75
No expert here, just a guy who keeps dreaming of hunting sheep. I would be surprised if he is much over 155 because his length seems pretty short. He does come high off his forehead but doesn’t have the drop anywhere near his jaw line. Since he is broomed he will pick up some in the circumference measurements. Either way, he looks at least 8. Odd scaring on the nose. Almost looks like a lion had a grip on him at one time. Thanks for sharing the pic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

7-8 years old. Average bases ,my best estimate in the 14.5/15'' inch range and not very much length with a tight curl . Character in abundance ,score not so much. Mid 150's ?

rlm

FNG
Looks like the 7th ring is in at the base. Guessing his 7th birthday is coming up.

Hard to say for sure but my guess is 7-8 yrs old and a 150" class ram.

What state and area? Is this a California (usually smaller) or a Rocky bighorn? looking at harvest data in the closest unit can give you an idea of average base and horn length measurements.

OP
[insertspecies]Slayer
What state and area?
Utah, Nine Mile/Jack Creek unit. He's about 25 miles away from what the DWR said the population range was, so I think I might give them a call tomorrow to let them know what's up, worse things worse they don't care.

The sheep themselves are Rockies, and looking at the transplant data, the genetics are from Unit 270 in Montana (Sula), and also the Gorge in Utah, but those sheep originally came from the winder river range (Whiskey Basin). Most likely they've intermingled with sheep from Estes Park, CO (unit S37 and S57) and Georgetown, CO ( Unit S03 and S32). It's also possible they have genes from southern BC (Kaleden) as well as Alberta (doesn't say where) and Fowler, CO. Lots of diversity for the horns, but it doesn't seem like Utah takes measurements in their harvest reports, at least they don't post them.

OP
[insertspecies]Slayer
I called the DNR, and told them about the ram. They said there is a population of sheep in that area that they reintroduced from Montana in 2009. Unfortunately they have come into contact with domestic sheep and the herd population is around 25-50.

but it doesn't seem like Utah takes measurements in their harvest reports, at least they don't post them.
They do post them, there is a tab online under the harvest and survey data just for bighorn sheep. Looks like this guy would be on the smaller side compared to the rams harvested this last year,

My wife and sister might have seen this ram last weekend. Just sent you a PM about the location to see if he's the same one!