Cabelas Alaskan Guide 6P vs Stone Glacier Dome 6P

DocRiffle

FNG
Wanting a good 4 season tent that I can use in Alaska as well so will likely go with a floored tent. I like the idea of the stove jack on the Stone Glacier tent as an option to run a stove at times. Looking at the fabrics it seems the Cabelas tent is a 210D polyester oxford material vs the SG which is a 40-70D nylon. Size and weight are for the most part comparable. The price is not. However, Cabelas tent is going for $500 and the SG for $2750. I don't mind paying the extra if the SG is that much better but I cant see the difference based on the descriptions alone. Anyone have any additional thoughts?

The older Cabelas tents were awesome. The newer ones may not be quite the quality. I’m sure if poles were the sticking point you could pick up or have aircraft grade aluminum poles made.

mtbn

FNG
If you decide to go the Stone Glacier route and they are still out of stock, you might check the Slingfin Arctic 6. I believe it is the same tent.

Brado16

WKR
Used the SG in AK this last year for Caribou and buddy will be bringing it back again this year for our Moose hunt. The room and ceiling height is a palace for two with cots. Only downside is weight. Wish there was a 4 man option from SG or Slingfin that was under 20 pounds that you can still stand up in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TXCO

WKR
I have the 6 man updated instinct guide tent (not the original short green version). I havent tried the SG one. I really like my tent, tons of room, can stand and ability to store gear or cook in the vestibule area. I got the aluminum poles. Its 27 lbs I think which works for bush planes, horses, etc. I really wish it had a stove jack option and think its the only thing missing. However, a buddy heater or even just using some jet boils for coffee or food can help knock the edge off.

Theres other cabelas tents like th alaknak that have a stove jack.

Has anyone ever gotten one sewn in is a good question?

I have the 6 man updated instinct guide tent (not the original short green version). I havent tried the SG one. I really like my tent, tons of room, can stand and ability to store gear or cook in the vestibule area. I got the aluminum poles. Its 27 lbs I think which works for bush planes, horses, etc. I really wish it had a stove jack option and think its the only thing missing. However, a buddy heater or even just using some jet boils for coffee or food can help knock the edge off.

Theres other cabelas tents like th alaknak that have a stove jack.

Has anyone ever gotten one sewn in is a good question?

Airframes Alaska has stove jacks for sale. I put one in a pop up ice shelter and it worked great. These are the same stove jacks they put in Arctic Oven tents

I love my alaskan guide tent, but i al
Sure i would love the SG one too. The SG gear i have is top notch.

I dont think you go wrong with either, but price is significantly different and you can buy a few extra poles for that cost savings

I can't speak to the other buy we've had two Alaskan Guide tents for many years and they've been through hell. Both are fiberglass poles because weight didn't matter to me and I'm not a fan of aluminum unless weight really matters. We use these camping on islands in January and have been through legitimate 65 mph sustained winds with no ground contour to break up the wind. One year a storm blew in and we all fled to an old airplane hanger for cover that the state guys opened up for us. There were 9 tents that trip, when we emerged the next day there were 2 that were flat out gone, 5 flat and flapping on the ground, 1 severely damaged and barely standing, and our Alaskan Guide upright and looking good with two broken but still functioning fiberglass poles. The next year there were three new Alaskan Guide tents when we came out.

I had a similar experience in big bend national park with a school trip. My daughter and two others were in my alaksan guide tent and every night there are strong wonds that rip thru the valley. One night we had extremely strong winds, verified at 70mph and the girls tents were first to be hit by direction of wind. There were tents levelled, tents ripped apart, many had to he thrown away, and thru it all the dads that were on tent patrol were amazed at the one tent that was still standing strong.

The guys tents were around a bend a little and more sheltered so we didnt get hit as hard. But rhe poor girls tents were hammered hard.

keller

WKR
I have been in a cabelas alaska guide tent with fiberglass poles in some pretty sketchy weather and it has held up fine.i trust it with my life and still use it

thegrouse

Lil-Rokslider
I had a similar experience in big bend national park with a school trip. My daughter and two others were in my alaksan guide tent and every night there are strong wonds that rip thru the valley. One night we had extremely strong winds, verified at 70mph and the girls tents were first to be hit by direction of wind. There were tents levelled, tents ripped apart, many had to he thrown away, and thru it all the dads that were on tent patrol were amazed at the one tent that was still standing strong.

The guys tents were around a bend a little and more sheltered so we didnt get hit as hard. But rhe poor girls tents were hammered hard.
I was in Big Bend one March within the last 3-4 years and had the same experience. It tipped a camper in Lajitas and tore up some popups. Quite the night, my REI Base Camp 6 had 1 bent pole but stayed up. I always use all the guy wires and stakes.

I was in Big Bend one March within the last 3-4 years and had the same experience. It tipped a camper in Lajitas and tore up some popups. Quite the night, my REI Base Camp 6 had 1 bent pole but stayed up. I always use all the guy wires and stakes.
I failed to mention, the alaskan guide tent was not guyed out at all during the wind storm.
I dod guy it out after that night, but didnt think the need to do it before the wind storm.
I had been down there twoce before and never experienced wind like that, tho we typically got around a 25-30 mph wind on each of the previous two trips.

I have the Alaskan Guide 6P and it has been nothing short of amazing. It has been to Alaska twice now with both times experiencing some pretty significant weather.

First trip we had about 24 hours worth of 60mph gust winds and non stop rain and the only thing I had to do was tighten the guy lines after the storm.

Second trip it started raining on the 3rd day and it rained every day after that until we left. 1 day we again had gusts up to 40mph and the tent never had a hiccup.

It'll be going back with me again next year.

There's a reason a lot of the outfits in Alaska that provide gear uses the Alaska Guide Series Tents.

mcseal2

WKR
I also have not tried the Stone Glacier, but our Alaskan Guide Instinct tent has served us well on two trips to AK with plenty of bad weather. One trip was to Kodiak.

Honestly, at the price difference I think I'd buy the Cabelas tent and have a set of aluminum poles made for it if it bothers you that much. I can't imagine you'll be anywhere near the price of the SG even after that.