CA wild hog hunt ?'s

Craig4791

WKR
Who has been on a good one that's not some kind of HF deal?

I'm looking to book something for this spring and want a few good recommendations from some of our fellow roksliders here in Ca that have been on a good archery hog hunt.

Looking to keep it under $600

Thanks

trkyslr

WKR
hunttejon.com

Best there is!!! I just left there and killed (archery) two great hogs 200 plus in one day. Tons of pigs!!! Tejon is magical.... Ill prob post a thread this week on the hunt.

bighouse31

Lil-Rokslider
I will be there this weekend will post next week. Let me know if you need further info. Just so happens VP of ranch operations is a very close friend. Can't get you any deals but I can put you in touch with the guy in charge

OR Archer

WKR
Bob Larson with Hillside Ranch. I know several people who have hunted with Bob and all have taken pigs. Its a bow hunting only ranch too. Check out the video Glory Hog 2. It was filmed at the Hillside Ranch with Bob and South Cox. Great video!

bohntr

WKR
Tejon Ranch........best DIY free ranging wild hog hunt in the state, IMO. 270,000 acres to roam with lots of hogs and a chance of seeing elk, bear, deer, turkey, antelope, lion, bobcat, and coyote......all in one trip. I've bowhunted it close to 20 times now since 1990, and each time it's been an awesome experience.

www.hunttejon.com

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I will agree with Tejon being great. If you want something smaller and with help, check out Maverick Outfitters in Cottonwood, CA. they have great pig land with plenty of pigs on it.

OP
Craig4791

Craig4791

WKR
Thanks guys! Sounds like Tejon is where it's at.

Trkyslr I'm interested in your hunt. Looking forward to the pics and story.

Ill pm you bighouse for the contact.

SDHNTR

WKR
Get on with it trkyslyr!

Tejon is my happy place. If you want a real hunt, that is where you want to go. I've hunted sheep in easier country. It's steep and nasty and the pigs are as wild as anything. No fences, no feeders, no dogs. Just classic spot and stalk. These are a few Tejon pigs.

Attachments

• 2010tejonbowpig.jpg
    2010tejonbowpig.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 76
  • Nate 08 tejon bow pig.jpg
    Nate 08 tejon bow pig.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 77
  • nate pig 1.jpg
    nate pig 1.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 73
  • nate red tejon hog.jpg
    nate red tejon hog.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 68
  • tejon calico.jpg
    tejon calico.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 72

SDHNTR

WKR
My two biggst archery boars off the place.

Attachments

• rsz_nate_tejon_bow_boar[1].jpg
    rsz_nate_tejon_bow_boar[1].jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 72
  • Nate 2013 Tejon Calico.jpg
    Nate 2013 Tejon Calico.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 72
OP
Craig4791

Craig4791

WKR
Those are some great hogs SDHNTR!! Really like the snow pics!

Getting pumped about booking a hunt with them.

BigSurArcher

Banned
Do you have any cool hunts to offer as a trade? I have a great place in southern Mendocino County. Pigs ruin almost as many deer stalks as a change in the wind direction.

OP
Craig4791

Craig4791

WKR
Sorry BigSur I don't have much to offer here in Ca. I just hunt OTC here in the wilderness nothing too great.

So I am booking for next weekend!! Should I hunt North or South?

What's the difference?

SDHNTR

WKR
You booked a Tejon guided hunt for next weekend? Wow, you must really want to go bad! Cool! Who is your guide? N or S, it doesn't matter. Both sides are loaded with hogs. See the 2 big boars in my second post above? The black one was killed on the S side and the calico was killed on the N side. Parts of the S side are a little more open than the N side, but you can't say that about everywhere. Both sides have nice cabins too. Can't go wrong either way.

SDHNTR

WKR
Nope not guided. Management DIY

OK, in that case, if there is weather, hunt the North as there are more places that are accessible if the roads are muddy. The South side is higher elevation. But ultimately, hunt the side that is less crowded. Here is the deal with Tejon. You need to be able to hike and you need to be able to glass. But don't do either aimlessly. Save the hiking for your stalks. There is not a flat acre on the entire ranch and most of it is really steep. You will need your energy as the stalks are often long and across canyons. The guys that hunt Tejon well know the canyons to glass and they aren't afraid to go after what they see when the pigs are way out and way up. Especially glass the canyons that you can't see from the road. The best spots to glass are brushy but just open enough to see into. Certainly do not resort to road hunting, but don't just park and start hiking aimlessly either, unless you are actually chasing hogs. Let your optics work for you. Don't get more than 20 minutes or so from your vehicle unless you are actually on hogs. That way, if you are in pigless country you can get back in the truck and move to new country without wasting time. So drive to a vantage point and glass for 20-30 minutes, or maybe a short hike to reach a glassing spot, then if you don't see anything move on. Keep going until you find hogs, and you will. If you are gun hunting, it should be a slam dunk. Good luck and post a report.