Buying one more rifle and struggling

Outcast

FNG
I thought I had a plan this year and was going to add another 6.5 Creedmoor and go all in on that cartridge. I have lots of bullets, 143 eldx, 147 eldm, 130 tmk. Currently shooting 147’s in my tikka super light but I’m almost out. No complaints with that load in the Creedmoor and I have full confidence in it.

So I was all ready to purchase a second Creedmoor but there is all this darn talk of danger space on this forum now and it’s messing with my plan. Do I purchase a 6.5 prc? Is it worth it? I hunt deer, elk, moose and sheep. I’m in Canada so the 6UM doesn’t make sense up here. I’d like the cartridge to have factory support. Ranges where I hunt could get extended but more than likely 6-700 and in.

Is the 6.5 prc going to give me anything noticeable or just buy another Creedmoor?

z987k

WKR
I thought I had a plan this year and was going to add another 6.5 Creedmoor and go all in on that cartridge. I have lots of bullets, 143 eldx, 147 eldm, 130 tmk. Currently shooting 147’s in my tikka super light but I’m almost out. No complaints with that load in the Creedmoor and I have full confidence in it.

So I was all ready to purchase a second Creedmoor but there is all this darn talk of danger space on this forum now and it’s messing with my plan. Do I purchase a 6.5 prc? Is it worth it? I hunt deer, elk, moose and sheep. I’m in Canada so the 6UM doesn’t make sense up here. I’d like the cartridge to have factory support. Ranges where I hunt could get extended but more than likely 6-700 and in.

Is the 6.5 prc going to give me anything noticeable or just buy another Creedmoor?
Do you need the extra 100-150yd the 6.5prc gives you?

Laramie

WKR
You already know what the answer is. IMO, the only thing the Creed has on the PRC right now is factory ammo selection. And that gap is shrinking as more companies introduce loads.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I like extra velocity and ballistics past 500 yards. Creed works out to 700 though.

If you can shoot the PRC the same as the creed, then it gives you an advantage. If you can’t shoot the extra recoil better than it doesn’t give you much more.

Consider building a second 6.5 creed but adding 4 inches to the barrel to get 100 fps more with the same creed load. If you need the extra velocity, in lots of those places you won’t care about the extra length.

Two guns, two purposes.

Do the PRC if you want speed and a shorter barrel.

OP
O

Outcast

FNG
My current superlite is already 24”. Can’t get a suppressor up here so no reason to chop it. I get 2745 average with my 147 loads. Gets me out past 800 yards at these elevations.

I can’t say for sure that I could shoot the PRC as well as I do the Creedmoor but I believe it would be close. I shot a PRC enough a few years back out to 4-500 yards but never stretched that one out to see what my hit percentages would be like out farther. The Creedmoor I practice out past that and have the confidence in it.

I’m leaning towards trying the prc out but I’m thinking that by the end of next year I might find it’s not worth it.

JGRaider

WKR
Whichever you choose, this Sako S20 from Europtic is an absolute steal. Mine was the PRC.

vonb

Lil-Rokslider
The PRC only makes sense over the Creedmoor if you have a longer barrel. Chopping a barrel on a PRC for a can won’t offer much over a 24” Creedmoor barrel.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
My current superlite is already 24”. Can’t get a suppressor up here so no reason to chop it. I get 2745 average with my 147 loads. Gets me out past 800 yards at these elevations.

I can’t say for sure that I could shoot the PRC as well as I do the Creedmoor but I believe it would be close. I shot a PRC enough a few years back out to 4-500 yards but never stretched that one out to see what my hit percentages would be like out farther. The Creedmoor I practice out past that and have the confidence in it.

I’m leaning towards trying the prc out but I’m thinking that by the end of next year I might find it’s not worth it.
If you shot it as well as a creed at 400+ yards, you can run one fine.

I say get a 26” PRC and enjoy the extra confidence if the hunts with extended ranges are often enough and would work with the PRC from 0 yards to max range.

Past 500 yards, I usually want the edge of extra velocity because of wind more than elevation. Wind is the biggest factor at long range. It’s easy to dope a rifle for elevation and bang targets. Wind, that is the greatest nemesis past 400. But, that’s me. It’s not necessary.

If you feel like you would still reach for the 6.5 creedmoor, just buy another one.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The PRC only makes sense over the Creedmoor if you have a longer barrel. Chopping a barrel on a PRC for a can won’t offer much over a 24” Creedmoor barrel.
Well, a 24” prc is still faster than a 24” creed. And, OP can’t run a suppressor.

But, in principle I agree, get a longer barrel if you goal is more velocity for 500 yard plus shots.

OP
O

Outcast

FNG
I’d be looking at a 6cm over either of those two and I have both 6.5cm and prc currently
I’ve thought of doing this as well. Not sure other than how nice it would be to shoot if it would get me what the prc will.
Also it would take me more than a few months to get the barrel and get it assembled. I like my new rifles to begin in January after the season is over so I can get plenty of rounds in before the following season.

Having said that it is an option.

You will see the same velocity out of a 6cm as you will a 6prc with less velocity and a higher hit percentage.

OP
O

Outcast

FNG
Made my decision today and ended up buying another T3X SS 6.5 Creedmoor. I could not find enough in the PRC to justify it. More powder, more recoil and not enough gained.

Working on which scope to mount. I have a shv F1 or a Bushnell LRTSi 4.5 -18. Want to put it in sports match T084’s. The SHV fits but it’s close. Still enough room though I guess.

ArcherAnthony

Lil-Rokslider
T3X was a great decision. I got here late. I can understand staying with the 6.5cm. Sharing ammo is nice. I have two 6.5PRC. One for the Wife and one for me. No complaints from her when im buying ammo for "us" now LOL

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Made my decision today and ended up buying another T3X SS 6.5 Creedmoor. I could not find enough in the PRC to justify it. More powder, more recoil and not enough gained.

Working on which scope to mount. I have a shv F1 or a Bushnell LRTSi 4.5 -18. Want to put it in sports match T084’s. The SHV fits but it’s close. Still enough room though I guess.
Good choice on the tikka and the creedmoor. I went back and forth when I was buying my Seekins and decided on another creedmoor rather than the PRC. I just don’t think the PRC is an upgrade for my uses.

Agree 100% more powder, more recoil, not enough gained. Same reason I scrapped my 300wm in favor of my 30-06.

Laramie

WKR
Factory ammo selection, recoil, and barrel life would probably be the big 3.
Very true. I never give the recoil a second thought because I stepped down into a prc with a brake. Most won't ever shoot a barrel out but, it could be a concern for guys who shoot their hunting rifle a lot. I average 50-100 rounds a year since I do most practice with a 223. Guessing the barrel will outlive me.