Buying my first Tikka, what to upgrade first?

robtattoo

WKR
I keep seeing trigger spring..... how necessary is it? And what the is the best one to buy?
Absolutely not even at all.
I have a stock trigger on my ought six & put a YoDave spring in my Swede. The Yodave is great at the range, but i can't get it heavy enough (ie: over 2lb) to be comfortable hunting with it. I'm switching it back to stock.

OP
CjMelendrez
Man, we really are about to burst your bubble.

Most of us would vehemently agree that neither one of those are reliable optics for your application. A scope has one job: steer bullet to target. The Leupold VX series of scopes are some of the worst performers in that regard. They are known for tracking issues, and losing zero from small bumps and knocks.

Might I suggest some light reading:

https://rokslide.com/forums/forums/rifle-scope-field-evaluations.133/

Buy the supplies to build yourself what's known as a "Rokslide Special"

• Tikka T3x Stainless in 6.5 Creed
  • Vertical Grip
  • Sportsmatch TO84 Rings (Or a Picatinny rail and Seekins Precision/Nightforce Rings)
  • Nightforce, Trijicon, or an SWFA Optic

It's the easy button.

If i want to stay around $1k for the optic, what do you recommend? I just did a quick search and found the nightforce SHV-4-14x56. other options?

vertical grip, grind off the contact points in the stock, recoil pad (depending on cartridge).

I have trigger springs in most of mine but i wouldn't argue for a second that they are necessary. Would probably argue to the contrary that we shouldn't be relying on a super light trigger to aid us in breaking good shoots.

nobody

WKR
If i want to stay around $1k for the optic, what do you recommend? I just did a quick search and found the nightforce SHV-4-14x56. other options?
Trijicon Credo 2.5-15, but it's only second focal plane. It's about a grand.
SWFA 3-15x42. Backordered currently, but if you can be patient, they're solid and worth the weight. About $600-ish
SWFA 3-9HD. Also backordered, but by all accounts, the best 700 and in hunting riflescope on the market for the money period.

Last edited:

Macintosh

WKR
Good rings and reliable scope. Ammo. Add oregano, stir and serve. Vertical grip I like a lot, and its an inexpensive add that you can turn around easily if you find you prefer the original. I would personally keep the factory pad on a 6.5cm, its a fairly light recoiling cartridge already and I dont think the hassle of matching the factory pitch on the stock is worth the small improvement unless you identify it as a problem. Tikkas have great triggers from the factory, a new spring makes it lighter, but too light for some folks. It can also be done at any time in the future if you decide its something you want.

IF you identify a problem, then start thinking about modifying.

sram9102

WKR
You can spend 1300 on
Rifle
6 swfa
TO84s
Vertical Grip
Realistically anything past that is form over function.
I have a wto switchlug, suppressed, have had it in an xlr element, currently sits in a bravo, with a nightforce...
I don't think my groups are any better than they were a few grand ago. It may be easier to shoot from different positions but all of those "improvements" didn"t make it any more accurate.
YMMV.

Most of us would vehemently agree that neither one of those are reliable optics for your application. A scope has one job: steer bullet to target. The Leupold VX series of scopes are some of the worst performers in that regard. They are known for tracking issues, and losing zero from small bumps and knocks.

• Vertical Grip
  • Sportsmatch TO84 Rings (Or a Picatinny rail and Seekins Precision/Nightforce Rings)

It's the easy button.
Take a look at the Tract Toric scopes. They are sold direct, eliminating the retail mark up. They offer a nice military/law enforcement discount, and they produce a really nice optic. I just put one on my Tikka 300 win mag. It compares very favorably to my friend Zeiss Conquest, but cost me $300 less.

Ram94

WKR
Take a look at the Tract Toric scopes. They are sold direct, eliminating the retail mark up. They offer a nice military/law enforcement discount, and they produce a really nice optic. I just put one on my Tikka 300 win mag. It compares very favorably to my friend Zeiss Conquest, but cost me $300 less.

I haven’t personally used one fwiw. Probably won’t.

nobody

WKR
See @Ram94 post above. Welcome to Rokslide

PNWGATOR

WKR

• Vertical Grip

It's the easy button.
Ditto this post.

Don‘t be in a hurry to make a bad decision.

First upgrade would be to cut barrel to 20” and add a can.

Rob5589

WKR
Nothing really. Mine have vert grips which I really prefer and Limbsaver pads. Mine also have MT bottom metal but for reasons other than need. The factory trigger can get down to about 2lbs which works for most hunting rifles and shooters.

I appreciate that somebody conducts those types of tests. I freely admit, I would never have intentionally dropped by rifle 3 feet to see whether the scope held zero.

That being said it would take a much larger test sample size for me to draw a conclusion on whether the product had reliability issues.

I’m happy with my system just the same. I do, however, appreciate that folks have shared their experience.

snowtoy83

Lil-Rokslider
Adjust trigger all the way down, vertical grip, solid ring setup, Trijicon 4-16, and go kill stuff. Nothing fancy, it just plain works. I think you see the pattern.
I just put one together for a backup/gun for the wife.