Burris Fullfield 4.5-14x42 - uncomfortable eye relief

xkill

FNG
I just want to be sure I'm not doing something wrong .

While I like everything else about this budget scope , I just can't seem to get comfortable with the eye box / eye relief. I've tried a variety of mounts (including cantilever mounts) and at full magnification, the eye box is uncomfortable / dances around unless I have my eye uncomfortably close to the scope .

None of my other budget scopes (sig, bushnell) have this issue despite being around the same max power / objective size and mounted on the same rifles with about the same eye relief.

I know people love these scopes but I just can't seem to get comfortable with them (I much prefer the sig, for example) and experienced the same issue with another Burris Fullfield that I was able to use a few years ago

Kyguy

FNG
I've used many with no issues, but optics is an individual preference. Example, I think the optics are decent in the SIG, for the money, but that thing is like looking down a PVC tube with extra thick sidewalls. I can't get past the HUGE black ring around the field of view. Maybe have someone measure the eye relied when you have the gun mounted? If it's really short, compared to the specs (3.5"-3.8" IIRC), contact Burris and see what they have to say.

OP
xkill

xkill

FNG
Thanks . I've had some success this weekend after trying a variety of pic rails, mounts

What seems to work best for the receiver in question (Remington 700, long action) s a pic rail with no overhang and the front hole as close to the leading edge as possible .

I tried a leupold rail which was close but still had some metal before the first hols.

A warne rail ( and possibly a EGW hunter , specifically) proved to be more compact giving me an additional quarter to half inch that helped present the eye box within reach

See pic

Attachments

• 20240909_140025-COLLAGE.jpg
    20240909_140025-COLLAGE.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 5