Bummed.

Really bummed right now, 2013 started off really well, I've been more motivated than ever and training harder than I have in years, I dropped almost ten pounds since the end of january and have been happy with my progress, my new bow came in two weeks ago Tuesday and my runs were progressing really well, then last week I got a bad stomach flu, thought I was fully recovered and put in a hard 5.5 mile trail/road run. The next day my right ankle was a little sore but not too bad. So I babied it until yesterday, and decided to do my standard Wednesday 3.5 mile loop the first mile was great dropped some time off my mile time and felt strong, about a quarter way through the second mile my foot and ankle felt like they wanted to explode, so I walked the rest of the way just to finish the miles and feel like I put in a full effort. By the time I went to bed last night I had a lot of swelling and pain in my ankle and today was no better, I've been icing in and have it in a brace since yesterday afternoon. While it's on ice it feels a lot better, but after all my hard work, being at a stand still like this, knowing I can't lift or run, or even shoot, is killing me. Sorry to vent like this when I'm such a quiet visitor usually, if anybody has any advice on possibilities of preventing this from happening again when it heals. Or even some motivation for while I'm recovering it would mean a lot. Thanks guys!

littlebuf

Banned
its pretty early in the year bud, get the ankle better and keep at it. shit happens, just be glad it didnt happen the last week of augest

OP
S
Thanks guys! You're both right, thankfully it's still overall early in the year, and it definitely could be worse/happened at a worse time. It just hurts the motivation more than anything I guess. An injury isn't much physically, when it comes down to it, bones, muscles and tendons all heal, the drive to push on starts taking a hit when Irma perfect weather out to be running or shooting and I'm stuck on a couch with an ice pack. It'll get better though, and I'll be back at it, harder than ever again. I may have to work on that shooting sitting down idea too. I tried to shot earlier and couldn't get to the target to pull my arrows so they are still in it. Haha.

Shrek

WKR
If you didn't twist it you may have a stress fracture. Might want to have it checked out so you know whats going on and how long to keep off it. If it is a stress fracture it will feel better long before it's healed and you will just go out and crack it again.

OP
S
Hopefully no fractures, I know it's a possibility though and definitely plan to get it checked out before I go full bore again. The pain is mostly where my Achilles' tendon attaches to my heel bone, and feels a lot like tendinitis, it actually feels exactly like it did when I had it in my knee a few years back from twisting it on the job. I'm thinking I may have landed on my toes too hard on an uphill section trying to push myself on the 5.5 miler and not realized the damage until I irritated it yesterday. I'm no expert though. Thanks for the advice everybody. Keeping my head up and looking forward to the mountains in August.

OP
S
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363321786.003699.jpg will be carrying this. 2013 spyder turbo. Left handed, 70 lb limbs max one camo, 8 inch b-stinger, mbg ascent 3 pin, tight spot quiver, shooting 428 grain easton aftermath arrows 304 fps. Love my new rig.

tradair1980

Lil-Rokslider
Keep it up injurys heel , one of things you'll learn trail running is you get beat up . One false step and its a ankle or whatever andsd it not a if its a when . Like most things just give it time and rebuild... Do balence work it will toughen them up really well. look at you tube for aankle recovery workouts there is tons of them as well as good streaching .. Try dianamic style streaching.

jmez

WKR
Find a pool and swim. No impact exercise and great for both strength and cardio.

May just be tendonitis but achilles tears are fairly common. If the tendon is torn you need to know or you risk a full rupture of the tendon and you want nothing to do with that.

OP
S
Thanks guys! Things are looking up slightly, after resting it for a couple days now, the swelling has been getting consistently lower and after icing for a while it actually goes away completely now. This would be a lot less painful if I didn't have to stand eight hours a day for work, but I'm glad to be recovering still and overall think it is just a sprain or a strained tendon. I'm going to take it easy and keep to low/no impact for at least a couple weeks after the pain is gone though, I want complete healing. I appreciate all of the advice you guys have given me so much!

CaseyU

WKR
Hey seth keep your head up man. I broke my tibia and shattered by fibula in one wack. Seven months out of commission. I am not giving you a sob story just want you to know we been there. Haha. Keep up the positive attitude and your going to blow this 2013 season out of this water. And nice bow. Southpaw too! Me and you would get along. Lol. Take care guy

OP
S
Thanks Casey, it's definitely no fun being down, but actually being able to feel recovery has been nice. And thanks on the bow! I love it so far. Spent way more than I ever thought I would on a bow but it's been more than worth it so far. That's cool we're both lefties, I never seem to meet any. Haha. I see you're from Susanville, we live pretty close, I'm down in Redding. I'm hoping to draw a tag for up in your area this year. and definitely hope to blow 2013 outta the water.

OP
S
Just got home from the doctor, they said it's tendinitis, I have to take anti inflammatories, get a compression wrap, and no running for 8 weeks. They also said to get more supportive shoes, any recommendations? I'm using reebok realflex right now and have never really liked them.

Shrek

WKR
Great to hear ! Tendinitis is no joke though , I get it in my shoulders and top of my ankle and it is crippling at times. I hope it clears up and never returns.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just got home from the doctor, they said it's tendinitis, I have to take anti inflammatories, get a compression wrap, and no running for 8 weeks. They also said to get more supportive shoes, any recommendations? I'm using reebok realflex right now and have never really liked them.

I would suggest going to a running shop if you have one close, they can line you by looking at you run, molds, etc...

Tendinitis, I get that in my elbow from oh wait.... Never mind.

jmez

WKR
Good deal, now you need to find a pool and swim. Did they say anything or did you ask about biking? How about recommending you see a physical therapist?

OP
S
Tendinitis is definitely no joke, it sucks struggling to walk constantly and being told to rest for so long. And thank you guys for the support, I wasn't sure of the reaction I would get being so new on here, but I felt like I was surrounded by a knowledgeable and friendly group of guys and was definitely right. So thank you! And drhorsepower, thanks for that suggestion on the running shop, I did a quick google search and found a place a few miles from my house that does fittings on a person by person basis based on a series of measurements and watching your stride so in a few weeks I'm going to head in and get some good shoes for when I'm all healed up. And jmez I definitely need to find a pool, I didn't think to ask about bicycling though. And they said if I haven't started to improve in two weeks to call and they will have me get x-rays to be sure there's no stress fractures and also send me to pt. right now I'm hoping they are right about it being tendinitis and that it recovers well and quickly.

Seth,

Check out this website, I use alot of his stuff and it seems to help when I get dinged up. Not sure exactly which exercise would work best, but if you do a search on his site for you symptoms you should be able to find one that works.

http://www.mobilitywod.com/

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Seth,

Brooks make a wide variety of shoes from minimalist "pure" runners to ultra-cushioned and supportive shoes. If you aren't a pronator, the Ghost is a well-cushioned supportive trainer.