Bullet recommendations for 30-06 Elk

All- yes first time poster long time lurker. I looked through the search function and found bits and pieces but wanted to consolidate my question.

I’m going on my first Elk hunt next fall any will be using a suppressed 30-06 Tikka T3x.

I’m researching bullets (I can hand load or shoot factory). The few I am intrigued about are-
Remington pointed core lokt in 180 grain.
Barnes Ttsx (not sure which grain) 165 or 168
Federal Trophy Bonded Tipped 180 grain.

These are based on reviews and availability. I believe all of them will do the job if I do. I have not shot any of them yet. Gun is brand new. I’m curious which one you would start with? First MOA bullet will be the one I stick with most likely.

Note, 400 yard range max.

sndmn11

Well Known pink hat wearing Rokslider
If you want to shoot the Barnes, you'll need to stay inside 250-300yds. I used them with success for a few years but stopped after I shot an elk past 400yds and saw poor but fatal damage.

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
Of those listed.....whichever one groups the best

I'd also toss in there the Nosler Accubond (180 gr) and Federal Terminals Ascent (175 gr)

Then whichever groups the best.

OP
W
Of those listed.....whichever one groups the best

I'd also toss in there the Nosler Accubond (180 gr) and Federal Terminals Ascent (175 gr)

Then whichever groups the best.
I don’t know anything about Terminal Ascent. I’ll check it out. Thanks.

bmart2622

WKR
Ive killed a pile of elk with old school core lokts, and some with 165gr AB. From the ones you listed Id go with anything but the copper

Scottf270

WKR
Don't overthink it. Elk were nearly made extinct with cap and ball firearms. I'd pick something that shoots well in your rifle and practice. It's a lot harder to find a shootable elk than to actually kill it.

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t know anything about Terminal Ascent. I’ll check it out. Thanks.

Same bullet design as the Trophy Bonded Tip, new right before COVID, and there's a lot of it out there.

I'm taking an 06 in 3 weeks to WY as a backup and it shoots TBTs and TAs very well.

Kopio

FNG
Well, I’ve only shot one elk…so I have limited experience. I shot it with a 7mm Rem Mag using a 139gr Barnes LRX Tteavelling at about 3300fps. I dropped a cow elk at about 350-400yards. Two if the pedals broke off, but we found the rest of the bullet against the skin on the off shoulder. I now have a 225gr Barnes TTSX loaded for me 338WM that I am taking for elk this year. I have high confidence in Barnes. YMMV

TaperPin

WKR
All- yes first time poster long time lurker. I looked through the search function and found bits and pieces but wanted to consolidate my question.

I’m going on my first Elk hunt next fall any will be using a suppressed 30-06 Tikka T3x.

I’m researching bullets (I can hand load or shoot factory). The few I am intrigued about are-
Remington pointed core lokt in 180 grain.
Barnes Ttsx (not sure which grain) 165 or 168
Federal Trophy Bonded Tipped 180 grain.

These are based on reviews and availability. I believe all of them will do the job if I do. I have not shot any of them yet. Gun is brand new. I’m curious which one you would start with? First MOA bullet will be the one I stick with most likely.

Note, 400 yard range max.
Many folks pick a bullet and if it works they keep using it. Others may also work, odds are some work better and hopefully most are worse. 400 yards is relatively conservative so super high BC bullets aren’t needed. The Nosler Partition has a great record and has been my primary bullet for a long time - it works with boring reliability. I’ve since switched to the Nosler Accubond for everything, but only after it has had a good deal of history under it’s belt, and seems to be one of the main bullets recovering Partition guys have moved to. My 30 caliber rifles all get the 180 gr Accubond and I don’t even think about it working or not - for antelope to deer to elk - my friends who also use Partitions or Accubonds don’t ever feel the need to discus bullet performance, dissect wound cavities, or change anything, since they simply work very time.

You can’t go wrong with any of your choices - hopefully they turn out to be reliable and a few decades from now you’ll be telling someone how it never let you down and always seems to work. :)