Bullet Advice for .300 Win Mag in Browning X-Bolt Speed

LandLakes

FNG
Just wanted to put this out there and see what kind of bullets (brand, material, grain, etc.) others are running through their .300s or what shoots well through this specific gun.

Just bought a Browning X-Bolt speed in a .300 win mag. Equipped it with a Vortex Viper. First time ever using a .300 and a scope with the fancy elevation and windage dials. Mostly looking to use for elk, but maybe some longer range deer hunting as well.

Got it on paper at 50 yards with just some cheap Federal ammo that I don’t intend to use for actually sighting it in. Currently looking at the Hornady Precision Hunter 200 gr or 178 gr. Also was thinking about trying some Barnes copper ammo in a 180 gr. Never shot copper, but been hearing some great things about it lately and a lot of people are pushing towards lead free ammo now given the toxicity stuff.

Hoping to get it all dialed in in the next week or two before the season starts.

I have the exact rifle. I’ve been shooting the factory loaded Barnes TTSX 165 grain at 3,160 fps. They group <1” MOA and are heck on Whitetails. I wouldn’t change if hunting Elk.

LightFoot

WKR
The 178 and 200 grain ELD-X are bad medicine of deer and elk. I have used the ELD-X on a lot of animals with great success. I have moved to Bergers in my 7mm and 300. The Federal Premium 185 Bergers in my 300 shoot really well. I’ve had great success with the Bergers over the last couple years. I haven’t used them on as many animals as I have the ELD-X but I have used them enough to have confidence in them up to and including elk.

>>>——JAKE——>

hunterjmj

WKR
215 Berger hybrid and H1000 is a deadly combo with the 300 WM. I've killed several elk, deer and antelope with it. I'm going with the 223 this year and 77tmk's this year though.

OP
L

LandLakes

FNG
The 178 and 200 grain ELD-X are bad medicine of deer and elk. I have used the ELD-X on a lot of animals with great success. I have moved to Bergers in my 7mm and 300. The Federal Premium 185 Bergers in my 300 shoot really well. I’ve had great success with the Bergers over the last couple years. I haven’t used them on as many animals as I have the ELD-X but I have used them enough to have confidence in them up to and including elk.

>>>——JAKE——>
Any noticeable difference in the 178 and 200 grain ELD-X?

I'll echo what was posted above and say the 215 bergers. They are very lethal on elk in my experience & a lot of others.

212 ELD X shot like garbage out of my rifle FWIW.

CMF

WKR
My 11yo just took a cow elk with the 130grn barnes reduced recoil. Probably not what you're looking for. I would shoot heavier myself.
But it did do well. The shot was around 100-130yds broadside, blew through and she didn't make it more than 60yds.
Just an FYI in case anyone is considering them for themselves or kids.
Gun was a braked browning x bolt hells canyon.

2024-09-14_19-57-22_451.jpg