Building Muzzleloader

treillw

WKR
Kicking around building an inline muzzleloader with a Brux prefit barrel from Arrowhead Rifles. Suggestions on components to go along with it? Can use any old remington 700 action I guess. Good sources? Would need to come up with a stock that can accept the large diameter barrel - imagine I'd have to order something.

Thanks!

Wrench

WKR
You'll be better off with a 700ml action. The bolt is different and the lugs are different.

BBob

WKR
I've built with Brux barrels from him but not a prefit. I built off ML specific actions like the Mesa ML and Defiance Outcast. I'd prefer one of those over a std Rem 700. The shellholder boltface is worth the upgrade. Ask Luke if he'll do a prefit for one of those. I know he has the dimensions because he's sent me his tenon drawings. Modules come in both std and mag so order to fit your boltface. I'm not aware of either being better than the other. Barrel channel shanks are long (5"+) so yes inletting on a regular Rem action/barrel cut won't fit. No you can't shorten the shank up much. For a cheap quick and dirty drop in a Bravo will work. Any chassis with a straight channel should work.

Edit: It looks like he's using a barrel nut and a reduced diameter shank so maybe a std barrel inlet works???

Edit: In the video he states "you can't run them as hard as our custom builds". I'm sure that is directly related to the reduced shank diameter.

Last edited:

Djacker

WKR
I bought a prefit from arrowhead and used a remington 700 action I had laying around. I used a grayboe Phoenix stock. It works great, no complaints. I shoot arrowhead nsr 275 grain bullets.

You can use a savage action and get a prefit as well. My barrel is a pacnor. Pushes a 275 around 2800fps. I would suggest looking at a sizing die and ditching the sabots.

BBob

WKR
Why's that?
I'd assume it's in regards to a couple of rules up there?

Oregon: Hunters shall use only flint or percussion caps as a source of ignition.
Washington: Ignition is to be wheel lock, matchlock, flintlock, or percussion. Primers designed to be used in modern cartridges are legal.

ElPollo

WKR
I'd assume it's in regards to a couple of rules up there?

Oregon: Hunters shall use only flint or percussion caps as a source of ignition.
Washington: Ignition is to be wheel lock, matchlock, flintlock, or percussion. Primers designed to be used in modern cartridges are legal.
This is one of the biggest problems with modern bolt and inline muzzleloaders. The regulation of these guns by state fish and wildlife agencies varies widely between states and even within state. If you set up a gun for your state, you may not be able to use it in others and your own state may change what’s allowed from year to year. NM just changed their regs about two years ago, banning the use of magnified optics on muzzleloaders.

The other problem is these modern muzzleloaders just recoil like a beast, are less than fun to shoot, and … egads, man… you have to clean them. I haven’t cleaned a long-gun since I sold my last muzzleloader.