Building an annealing machine - ideas ??

Sudsy

FNG
Working on ideas right now. Saw a few things searching here, unfortunately they all would require an electrical engineering degree and a fully equipped machine shop.
I need to do this with my moderately equipped wood shop and no ability whatsoever with electronics.

I need to build something that could be made simply with sheet metal and wood, a small motor and a propane torch

Has anyone here done anything along these lines

83cj-7

WKR
Don’t laugh!

I built this probably 10 years ago and it works perfect. I can do 100 pieces in about 20 minutes. $30 total investment.

Attachments

• IMG_1588.jpeg
    IMG_1588.jpeg
    348.1 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_1589.jpeg
    IMG_1589.jpeg
    209.5 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_1590.jpeg
    IMG_1590.jpeg
    351.4 KB · Views: 90

IDShane

WKR
A buddy of mine and I are building a few of these. He has a 3D printer and I made the boxes in my woodshop. I believe the designer sells some of the items that would need to be printed. We have like less than $300 in building 3 of these.

packer58

WKR
I went the salt bath method, materials for the build were pretty inexpensive and works great. I don't get the COOL colored neck and shoulder of the flame annealers but they are annealed ...

EdP

WKR
Yup. I use a Hornady Lok n Load Case Prep Trio mounted vertically with a homemade case holder in the spare output shaft. It turns at about 100 rpm. The Prep Trio is mounted on a wood stand that also holds a propane torch in position. Using Tempilaq as recommended in Hornady's old annealing tool instructions, I time how many seconds a case needs to be in the flame. See https://www.opticsplanet.com/hornady-case-annealing-system.html. I will Tempilaq 3 or 4 cases when doing 20 to have a couple of checks during the process. Cases are swapped out using pliers and hot cases go in a pan of water. It is generally about 6 sec per case.

For those of you with the EP 2.0, it looks like you have to sit there and single load cases. Or maybe 2-3, 223 cases will fit on that shelf. Correct?

czgunner

FNG
For those of you with the EP 2.0, it looks like you have to sit there and single load cases. Or maybe 2-3, 223 cases will fit on that shelf. Correct?
Yeah, I set it up to drop right when the mouth is a dull red and then start placing cases on the feed ramp. Doesn't bother me. This is not an operation you should walk away from, open flame and all.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

DaveCB

FNG
Yes one at a time. I think EP makes a case feeder as well.
For me I set the speed to do approximately 270 1 every 6 sec. 243 every 4sec. 223 are about every 4 sec. that works out to be about a hundred every 10 min.

Gila

WKR
Don’t laugh!

I built this probably 10 years ago and it works perfect. I can do 100 pieces in about 20 minutes. $30 total investment.
That is slick! I have been using the Little Crow mandrels as a drill bit. I have one propane torch stand. Been doing it by hand and slow. But I got a Burstfire for Christmas. For $250 and some change it comes with a complete case prep station. Still in the box but I don’t think I am going to wait till Christmas. I have a couple hundred spent cases to anneal now.

sdupontjr

WKR
Can you share the parts you used? Looks like a cool project. And after watching your video I'm reminded that I'm almost out of boudin. 🤣

Yeah I'll try and put a list together and post it. I can do about 200 pieces in no time. Works really well.

And yes, I need some more boudin as well as some more deer sausage

sdupontjr

WKR

This is the video I saw and used to make mine. So all credit goes to him, whomever he is. The only thing I couldn't find was the arbor for an RC plane to mount the cake funnel. I had to use a different type.

IDShane

WKR
A buddy of mine and I are building a few of these. He has a 3D printer and I made the boxes in my woodshop. I believe the designer sells some of the items that would need to be printed. We have like less than $300 in building 3 of these.

Attachments

• Annealers.jpg
    Annealers.jpg
    316.8 KB · Views: 22