Building a dinner table

hoff1ck

WKR
Looks great man. That antler is a nice touch too. I have some red oak I recently milled to make a couple dining room tables out of, just impatiently waiting on it to dry.

OP
Harvey_NW

Harvey_NW

WKR
Thank you everyone!

Since this thread is also about repurposing scrap, here's a couple more projects I've done along the way. We used a production builder but I drew the floor plans and they based the price off one of theirs, my plan had an additional 1/2 bath in the laundry room and they wanted $1600 for a cheesy vanity and sink, I said hell no. $120 on Amazon and some T&G cutoff from the back porch cover, and we had that problem solved. My first attempt at epoxy top.
20210321_171431.jpg

And also needed a reloading bench 🇺🇸 (the legs are placed for specific fitment).
20220205_171242.jpg

Wrench

WKR
Turned out great. I like the corners as well.

I trimmed my last house using burned pine. I burned mine until the whole board was a bit charred and I torched harder in other areas.... then wire brush with the grain and hit it with white stain and then wipe it off.....it looks like 200 year old wood.

COJoe

Lil-Rokslider
I appreciate your thoughts to tie your leftover wood back into the house in some way. Lots of memories going to happen around that table, hopefully there will be a glorious elk hunt to talk about come the holidays with family.

OP
Harvey_NW

Harvey_NW

WKR
Nice work! I made a similar dining table a few years back with a mix of 1x6 and 2x4 pine stained dark. Wish I would've chamfered my corners like you did.
View attachment 748046
That is stout and beautiful!

I trimmed my last house using burned pine. I burned mine until the whole board was a bit charred and I torched harder in other areas.... then wire brush with the grain and hit it with white stain and then wipe it off.....it looks like 200 year old wood.
Thanks! I really want to find the motivation to replace all my trim with natural wood, but that's an intimidating and daunting task, lol. I'll have to test that technique sometime, sounds like an awesome result. Wire brush/wheel does some really cool texturing with the grain, unfortunately most of the depth got lost in the epoxy on my table top, but I learned a lot while building it!

CorbLand

WKR
That is impressive. My dad and brother both got the patience to work with wood and both have built some pretty cool stuff. I will have to get pictures sometime. My dad loved to build pinewood derbys and he built some really cool ones.

People we bought our house from left a big chunk of glass, probably 4X6 or 4X8 in the garage. Its probably 1/2 inch thick. I have thought about seeing if my brother would build a frame for it and turn it into a table.

Wrench

WKR
The longer you burn the more the rings will be proud of the rest. You will turn charcoal into beauty.

You should probably hide a couple pieces of angle iron or mini I beams across under the bottom. I did a very similar project in 2014 and the middle of the table is now sagged down about 3/8".

Plainsman79

Lil-Rokslider
That looks great man! I really like the corners and the antler. Cool touch.

We were in a similar situation as you and had our home built a few years ago. I wasn’t about to pay what they want for a new kitchen table. So I built ours also. I went with a trestle style base with matching bench up against the wall. I’m grateful for taking wood-shop in high school, as it’s something that I’ve carried throughout my adult life building quite a bit of stuff for the house over the years. Tv stands, night stands, gun cabinets, entryway tables, Book shelves. IMG_1315.jpegIMG_1316.jpeg

OP
Harvey_NW

Harvey_NW

WKR
That looks great man! I really like the corners and the antler. Cool touch.

We were in a similar situation as you and had our home built a few years ago. I wasn’t about to pay what they want for a new kitchen table. So I built ours also. I went with a trestle style base with matching bench up against the wall. I’m grateful for taking wood-shop in high school, as it’s something that I’ve carried throughout my adult life building quite a bit of stuff for the house over the years. Tv stands, night stands, gun cabinets, entryway tables, Book shelves. View attachment 751590View attachment 751591
Oh man that thing is beautiful, that base is off the charts! I contemplated doing that style but after realizing I didn't have all those awesome tools we had access to in high school wood shop it was a little more difficult to improvise haha. Great work!!

Plainsman79

Lil-Rokslider
Oh man that thing is beautiful, that base is off the charts! I contemplated doing that style but after realizing I didn't have all those awesome tools we had access to in high school wood shop it was a little more difficult to improvise haha. Great work!!
Thanks man. The whole thing was built with a mitre saw, hand planer and a pocket hole jig.

Plainsman79

Lil-Rokslider

Any chance you could post up a few pics? I’m finishing the basement with pine doors and trim and looking for ideas.