Build me a custom rifle

GreyBeck

Lil-Rokslider
just did a 6.5prc

Impact NBK
Bartlein 18" carbon wrapped (never had carbon before is the only reason)
Manners LRH - and like it more than i had expected. wanted EH1 but LRH in stock
Trigger Tech
hawkins dbm, mag and ultralight rings w/offset level
Maven rs1.2
mid arca / picatinny in front
9lb 10oz w/mag, scope and AB Raptor 6

i wanted short/light b/c i have a 24" barrel 7prc.

very impressed the the impact action - easy and smooth. doing it again I'd prob do 20" - 18" seems a tad short but works fine

just did a 6.5prc

Impact NBK
Bartlein 18" carbon wrapped (never had carbon before is the only reason)
Manners LRH - and like it more than i had expected. wanted EH1 but LRH in stock
Trigger Tech
hawkins dbm, mag and ultralight rings w/offset level
Maven rs1.2
mid arca / picatinny in front
9lb 10oz w/mag, scope and AB Raptor 6

i wanted short/light b/c i have a 24" barrel 7prc.

very impressed the the impact action - easy and smooth. doing it again I'd prob do 20" - 18" seems a tad short but works fine
That looks like my version of a dream hunting rifle build other than my weird trigger preferences.

Explain the weirdness?
I'm a B&A trigger guy all the way
1. Has to be two-stage
2. Even my hunting trigger is under 2 pounds (1.5# at the moment)
3. I strongly dislike TT's lack of overtravel

Been using Hubers up until now (even though they're staged-break, not true two-stage). Have a BnA Pro-X two-stage with gator shoe on deck for the competition build I have arriving in 2 weeks. I have very high hopes for it and from just messing around with it it's great.

Reactions: WKR

dskav

Lil-Rokslider
I'll play along. I'm in the middle of building a 7 SAUM with:

Defiance Ti-X LA
24" Proof Sendero Light
Peak 44 Blacktooth
Triggertech Special 2-stage
Hawkins M5 Oberndorf
Nightforce NXS 2.5-10

I would've gone with a shorter barrel but found the 24" for a steal
Still need to decide on rings, not sure what to go with...

I just got the following build in .280 AI back from my gunsmith

Defiance anTi X LA (don't really agree that titanium is a good material for a rifle action)
22" Proof Sendero
Manners EH1 Swamp w/ full Area419 arca
Triggertech Special Single Stage/Flat
Hawkins M5 Oberndorf bottom metal
Hawkins Ultra Light Tactical rings
Nightforce ATACR 4-16 Mil-XT

Will be adding an Otter Creek Labs Hydrogen S once I find one in stock.

yeah I've read about some potential concerns with titanium, but figured I'd rather just find out for myself. I'll be sure to report if I have any issues
I'm sure for most situations it's probably fine, especially for a hunting rifle that doesn't see competition level round counts. I just figured if I'm spending the money on a custom rifle I don't want to take any chances. Please do keep us updated though!

solarshooter

Lil-Rokslider
I just got the following build in .280 AI back from my gunsmith

Defiance anTi X LA (don't really agree that titanium is a good material for a rifle action)
22" Proof Sendero
Manners EH1 Swamp w/ full Area419 arca
Triggertech Special Single Stage/Flat
Hawkins M5 Oberndorf bottom metal
Hawkins Ultra Light Tactical rings
Nightforce ATACR 4-16 Mil-XT

Will be adding an Otter Creek Labs Hydrogen S once I find one in stock.
What's your estimated measured weight for a build like this?

Last edited:
What's your estimated measured weight for a build like this?
I believe the base rifle without scope, but including rings, should be about 7.6lbs.

With the ATACR it'll be about 9.5lbs

And then with the suppressor it would be about 10.1lbs.

I'll report back and confirm once I'm able to actually weigh it. My intent wasn't strictly to go as light as possible, and for my intended use for this rifle I am happy with sub 8lbs before adding in the scope.

My next build will likely be a 7 SAUM that will hopefully be sub 7lbs base rifle weight.

If you want a lightweight, easy to carry rifle... I had LRI custom flute a K&P barrel and installed onto a MacBros Element action, complete with a slightly modified HNT26 chassis its 4lbs 6oz, including a folding stock and 3 round mag. Shoots one hole with the right loads. Under 6lbs scoped, under 6.5lbs including a scythe ti can.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Why not just buy a Sako and get a better/more reliable action and better/longer lasting barrel?

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Better barrel is just straight up not the case unless you're maybe referring to a Sako TRG which would be heavy for this role. Why would it be longer lasting anyway?
How much experience do you have with Sako/tikka barrels when directly compared side by side in field use next to nearly all mass produced aftermarket barrels?

How much experience do you have with Sako/tikka barrels when directly compared side by side in field use next to nearly all mass produced aftermarket barrels?
"Mass produced aftermarket barrels". What does that even mean? He's been getting recommendations for custom barrels like Bartlein, Krieger, Proof, Benchmark, etc. Explain to me why a factory Sako barrel is better than those, other than "trust me bro". As far as precision goes, your assertion hasn't yet made it to benchrest or other long range competition use where people deeply care about the precision of their barrels. So it very much depends on what you mean by "better". What does "field use" do to a barrel? Long strings of fire?

You could make the argument that hammer forged rifling technically gives slightly longer barrel life due to hardness. Okay. But what we also know is that on average cut rifling (and even button rifling for that matter) results in a more precise shooting barrel when compared to hammer forged rifling. Add to that the fact that barrels are like car tires for people who shoot a lot, and the slight bump in barrel life is counterbalanced compared to the gains in precision of cut/button rifling. And Bartlein, for instance, has a barrel material you can choose that drastically prolongs barrel life as well without giving up the cut rifling called "400MODBB".

You're not even wrong about the more reliable action part. Mostly due to Sako's more reliable trigger system compared to R700 clones. But the barrel thing is a bit much.

Last edited:

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
"Mass produced aftermarket barrels". What does that even mean? He's been getting recommendations for custom barrels like Bartlein, Krieger, Proof, Benchmark, etc. Explain to me why a factory Sako barrel is better than those, other than "trust me bro". As far as precision goes, your assertion hasn't yet made it to benchrest or other long range competition use where people deeply care about the precision of their barrels. So it very much depends on what you mean by "better". What does "field use" do to a barrel? Long strings of fire?

You could make the argument that hammer forged rifling technically gives slightly longer barrel life due to hardness. Okay. But what we also know is that on average cut rifling (and even button rifling for that matter) results in a more precise shooting barrel when compared to hammer forged rifling. Add to that the fact that barrels are like car tires for people who shoot a lot, and the slight bump in barrel life is counterbalanced compared to the gains in precision of cut/button rifling. And Bartlein, for instance, has a barrel material you can choose that drastically prolongs barrel life as well without giving up the cut rifling called "400MODBB".

You're not even wrong about the more reliable action part. Mostly due to Sako's more reliable trigger system compared to R700 clones. But the barrel thing is a bit much.
You didn’t answer the question. What is your personal experience using the brands you mentioned, side by side comparing total life round counts and accuracy at different barrel temperatures to Sako and Tikka barrels?

You didn’t answer the question. What is your personal experience using the brands you mentioned, side by side comparing total life round counts and accuracy at different barrel temperatures to Sako and Tikka barrels?
Oh I'm just a basement dweller that's never shot a rifle or gone outside. Now that we've got that out of the way, enlighten me as to how Sako/Tikka barrels have been better for you when compared to Bartlein, Krieger, etc. And how do the Sako barrels stack up against Bartlein's 400MODBB material? Instead of vaguely hinting at experience you can educate us ignoramuses.

Harvey_NW

WKR
You could make the argument that hammer forged rifling technically gives slightly longer barrel life due to hardness. Okay. But what we also know is that on average cut rifling (and even button rifling for that matter) results in a more precise shooting barrel when compared to hammer forged rifling.
Maybe across the board of all hammer forged barrels produced, but he did specifically refer to Sako/Tikka, which I do think makes a difference.

Maybe across the board of all hammer forged barrels produced, but he did specifically refer to Sako/Tikka, which I do think makes a difference.
What's funny is for the purposes of a hunting rifle it doesn't make a difference at all anyway. Even if Bartlein/Krieger or whoever are slightly more precise. Who cares if one barrel shoots 0.4 MOA vs 0.6 MOA for 5 shot groups or whatever? But to assert that Sako barrels are better is just nonsensical until he defines what better means. It makes more sense to harp on the trigger reliability or other things that are actually true.