Bugs and Critters Inside

I'm looking at running a floorless shelter with a stove jack to hopefully have a lightweight tent for early season and a tent that won't break the back come late season staying warm by the fire. My question for you is, are bugs and rodents, etc actually bad about coming inside and worth worrying about not having a floor? I don't care about a bug here and there crawling inside, but if its something you have to fight I might consider a floor.

I think it depends greatly on where you are hunting. If you've got lots of snakes or pack rats chewing holes in your stuff, I wouldn't mess with it. Although I did hear Snyder say that if a rat wants in, hes going to get in and a floored shelter just makes it harder for them to get out.

I'm going to Nebraska next week and taking a floored shelter cause that state is over run with ticks. That and were not backpacking

Bugs shouldn't be a huge issue if you pitch it properly, but a nest is nice to have when mosquitos are out for summer camping. And yes, occasionally expect a mouse in your tent at night, but it just depends on where you are. The weight trade off is worth it for me, and it isnt something that happens regularly.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Ticks are my big concern because they are active all year as long as the temp is above 32*. I have 2 friends with Lyme Disease and I do not care to follow their lead. When going floorless, do you just run a nest and hope the ticks stay out of your other gear in a floorless shelter? Mostly in the woods in WI, MI, MN. Maybe floorless just isn't practical in the midwest?

Attachments

• Lyme Disease USA 1990-2015.jpg
    Lyme Disease USA 1990-2015.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 80
skeeters have not been a problem for me in Canada or Alaska. a few get in but go to the top and usually die if the stove is running. if necessary I will burn a bug coil and that will kill them.
Arkansas has a lot of mosquitoes and I have not had trouble here.

ticks are thick here and if it is warm I will run a big tarp for a floor or take a floored shelter.

It seems to me its a function of how picky you are....../grin

One elk season I had a camp spot on a two track in AZ where when you turn on the light at night it was like a rodent Cirq De Soleil inside my wall tent.

Typically the well used campsites are the worst for that^

I haven't had what I would call a lot of problems with bugs, or critters and a floorless tent.... but some.

If you are the kind of guy that hates anything crawling on you....then floorless probably isn't the way to go.

Last edited:
I am no expert but I think a one person nest would be a good thing to have with any floorless shelter you are using solo. Us it if it is necessary and do not use it if it is not needed.

last year was my first season in a floorless and i had the same concerns as you. spent 15+ nights in eastern and western washington and besides a few ants here and there and the occasional spider no critters or other issues. The pros definitely outweighted the cons…small and light in the pack, wearing boots into the shelter, and digging a quick hole with my heel instead of wandering out to pee!

To deal with ticks, I spray everything with permethrin. Tipi, bivy sack, pants, and even the ground sometimes.

I agree with Mr S about rodents. They’ll come in if they want. The benefit of a floored tent is that you may be able to corner the little devils and kill them. I’d rather jut let them come and go, though.

Snakes concern me, but I use a bivy sack so at least they won’t be able to get into bed with me.

Ticks are my big concern because they are active all year as long as the temp is above 32*. I have 2 friends with Lyme Disease and I do not care to follow their lead. When going floorless, do you just run a nest and hope the ticks stay out of your other gear in a floorless shelter? Mostly in the woods in WI, MI, MN. Maybe floorless just isn't practical in the midwest?

My buddy and I went up to whisker lake wilderness in northern WI last summer and I took a floorless shelter. Ticks were horrible there haha. You’d find at least one on you every time you checked. However I sprayed some permethrin on the border of my ground pad and not a single tick went on me throughout the night. That being said however if I were to go there this year I will be staying in a nest or in my hammock set up with a bug net. Just better piece of mind haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was a bit concerned about this for times other than out west hunts as I live in TX.

My plan has been to take a cot if I'm going to be somewhere with lots of bugs crawling around.

Possibly a thermacell or permethrin as other have said.

My only real concern is snakes, but I suppose in non cold conditions you could suck the walls down right to help?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Back