Budget Starter Gear for a newbie

FrancoisStrawman

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking to get started hunting white tail deer in my state and I want to know the absolute essential gear and brands that have the best bang for the buck. To give some background information, I have been a backpacker for years and already have a hpg pack, a large amount of outdoor clothing, binoculars, 100s of knives and an agawa folding saw with a bone saw blade. I will be specifically crossbow hunting and already have the broadheads, the crossbow and a good quality scope. I plan to day hunt only, rarely taking overnight trips, but I still would like night gear suggestions just in case.
Now for my questions, Do I need camo clothing (I currently have no camo clothing, however a lot of my gear is olive drab or coyote color)? Do I need lures and bait? Could I just use a plastic bag to carry the meat? Am I missing anything else?

Huntnfish89

Lil-Rokslider
Since you're going with a crossbow I'd say picking up camo outerlayers wouldn't hurt. No need to spend a fortune, buy used from here or other classifieds. I'm partial to sitka outerlayers, first lite base, but I'm sure some of you backpacking gear will work. Just keep noise in mind as a lot of outdoor gear not directly related to hunting is great, but noisy.

Knives, I carry 2 for deer a 3" fixed blade and a mini rapala filled knife.

I'd stay away from plastic bags for meat. You can get Alaskan game bags for less the $20 a set and they will help to let the meat breath and cool off. Plus the package can double as a butt pad in a pinch when glassing.

Scents, antlers, decoys can and do work, but in my experience your better off learning the way the deer use the area your plan to hunt and come up with a plan accordingly.

Lastly get something to check the wind and thermals if you are in any sort of hilly mountainous terrain. I probably spent hundreds of $ on gear before I started buying windchecker. Of course once I became more aware of the way my scent was traveling, the more I started encountering deer. This is probably the cheapest yet more effective hunting "tool" that I carry.

Get proficient with your weapon and then practice some more.

Macintosh

WKR
What state are you in? You probably dont need much.

Read some scientific artricles on how deer see. You’ll find that most camo is for hunters to feel good, not to be invisible to deer. At crossbow range, depending on how you are hunting (stand or blind vs sneaking up to a deer) quiet clothing might make more difference than camo. Simply standing still, its amazing what deer will walk right up to as long as the wind is in your favor. But, surplus wool works just fine or inexpensive synthetic if you think you need camo. You can get one camo layer to wear over your outdoor baselayer, insulation, etc if you need as well.
If you have to pack meat I think id rather use an old pillowcase than a plastic bag. Depending on where you are, dragging it can also be a good option.

A very cheap alternative to game bags is Pillow cases. Control your scent if bowhunting and sitting stands. You also don't NEED a treestand but if you aren't doing spot and stalk it will greatly benefit you. You can pick up old stands at rummage sales or Facebook marketplace for dirt cheap. Biggest thing to success won't be your gear but rather your resilience. Keep at it and keep us posted along the way!

EdP

WKR
Do you expect to hunt private land or public? What type of terrain and foliage cover?

Fabric game bags are only needed if you are going to butcher in the field. If taking out whole after field dressing to either have processed or to process yourself at home, no game bags are needed. Putting butchered parts (quarters, etc) in plastic bags in a cooler is fine. The problem with plastic is it promotes bacterial growth due in part to heat retention so you only want to use plastic if the meat is already cold or is being cooled immediately (on ice, sitting in a stream, etc). Plastic is good to keep your meat dry but beware of trash bags treated with scents or anti-bacterial products. Don't want to be eating that stuff. Food grade plastic bags of all sizes can be purchased on the internet but will probably have to be ordered in bulk.

Fabric game bags are only a few $ and can be washed and reused. I don't see any significant savings from using pillow cases but they will work fine.

For clothing, a leafy suit would work over what you have.
Really the only necessary thing is the will to go and a legal tag. You will figure out what you need and don’t need fairly quickly.

akcabin

Lil-Rokslider
A compass. 2 is better. Put in your pocket and carry it around with your and practice/play with it.
A pocket book identifying the plants in the area.

what you need to start deer hunting is a weapon. that's it. no you do not need camo, camo is cool, but the animals don't care about style lol. you don't usually pack out a deer since they are not heavy and as a new guy you probably won't be that far from your vehicle but if you feel you want to then pillowcases are your best bet. the things you must have are rope, knife, weapon, compass/gps and water. you don't even need a pack. save your money and spend time in the woods learning, after a few seasons you'll know what you want because really you don't need anything.

George Hamrick

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking to get started hunting white tail deer in my state and I want to know the absolute essential gear and brands that have the best bang for the buck. To give some background information, I have been a backpacker for years and already have a hpg pack, a large amount of outdoor clothing, binoculars, 100s of knives and an agawa folding saw with a bone saw blade. I will be specifically crossbow hunting and already have the broadheads, the crossbow and a good quality scope. I plan to day hunt only, rarely taking overnight trips, but I still would like night gear suggestions just in case.
Now for my questions, Do I need camo clothing (I currently have no camo clothing, however a lot of my gear is olive drab or coyote color)? Do I need lures and bait? Could I just use a plastic bag to carry the meat? Am I missing anything else?
A lot of the answers to this would depend on where you live. In my opinion though, you really don’t need much of anything for whitetails unless you’re planning on backpacking in for a few days. A natural ground blind on the upwind side of a trail or food source is all you need to start. Walmart camo will hide you just as well as the high end stuff, and you can get away with dark colored clothing. If you decide to upgrade later on you can.

No use looking into lures or baits in my opinion. Most public land doesn’t allow bait, but that could be different in your state. Focus on food early and late season, and does during the rut.

Reddish

Lil-Rokslider
As others have said, your crossbow, good broadheads and lots of practice are what’ll you’ll need to get started.

I haven’t worn camo for several years and I hunt from the ground quite a bit with a recurve…I don’t even wear camo for turkeys most the time now days.

I also use pillow cases for packing meat out, as others have said. Dollar General has them on sale every once in awhile. King size work best.

You already have a knife, other thing would be a rangefinder. I know crossbows shoot flat, but misjudging distance can lead to wounded deer, which isn’t good.

EdP

WKR
A natural ground blind on the upwind side of a trail or food source is all you need to start.
I'm pretty sure GH meant that you should put your blind so the deer trail/food source is upwind of you such that the wind carries your scent away from, and not towards, the deer.

Honyock

WKR
The biggest thing I think a lot of new deer hunters fail to understand is that your scent will blow up more whitetail hunts than anything else. Get some scent free laundry detergent and some big zip lock bags to store all your hunting clothes in. Same for your body, no scented deodorant or soap. Get a bottle or wind checker and use it. Spray everything down with Dead Down Wind and never sit in a stand when the wind is not in your favor.

George Hamrick

Lil-Rokslider
I'm pretty sure GH meant that you should put your blind so the deer trail/food source is upwind of you such that the wind carries your scent away from, and not towards, the deer.
Correct, got that backwards with how I phrased it. Main point was to watch the wind and not overthink it. Lot of guys jump in head first and buy a lot of gear, and all it really takes is watching the wind and a few branches/logs for cover. Especially if he’s just starting out and not wanting a big buck.

Last edited:
OP
FrancoisStrawman

FrancoisStrawman

Lil-Rokslider
For everyone asking I will be hunting in south jersey and I have already obtained my license.

OP
FrancoisStrawman

FrancoisStrawman

Lil-Rokslider
Since you're going with a crossbow I'd say picking up camo outerlayers wouldn't hurt. No need to spend a fortune, buy used from here or other classifieds. I'm partial to sitka outerlayers, first lite base, but I'm sure some of you backpacking gear will work. Just keep noise in mind as a lot of outdoor gear not directly related to hunting is great, but noisy.

Knives, I carry 2 for deer a 3" fixed blade and a mini rapala filled knife.

I'd stay away from plastic bags for meat. You can get Alaskan game bags for less the $20 a set and they will help to let the meat breath and cool off. Plus the package can double as a butt pad in a pinch when glassing.

Scents, antlers, decoys can and do work, but in my experience your better off learning the way the deer use the area your plan to hunt and come up with a plan accordingly.

Lastly get something to check the wind and thermals if you are in any sort of hilly mountainous terrain. I probably spent hundreds of $ on gear before I started buying windchecker. Of course once I became more aware of the way my scent was traveling, the more I started encountering deer. This is probably the cheapest yet more effective hunting "tool" that I carry.

Get proficient with your weapon and then practice some more.
Do you have any recommendations on wind checking devices (brands and so on)? I'm considering using hunters dust.

OP
FrancoisStrawman

FrancoisStrawman

Lil-Rokslider
A compass. 2 is better. Put in your pocket and carry it around with your and practice/play with it.
A pocket book identifying the plants in the area.
I already have multiple compasses since I have been backpacking and bushcrafting for a long time.

You could check for clearance items from some of the premium brands to build your gear kit, however the advice to get the budget line gear from Scheels, Bass Pro, etc is sound. After you've completed whatever your de-scent routine is on your hunting clothes, hang them outside for a couple days and then put them in dry bags until you're going hunting.

Speaking of scent - I prefer a rubber or muck boot style as I think they carry the least scent of all the boot styles. Again, no need to go high dollar right away. I have some 3-4 year old Redhead boots that I got for cheap at Sportsmans Warehouse and they do the job just fine.

One last item I'd invest in if you don't have the warmest or quietest gear is a ground blind. That will shield you from the elements and help extend your sits. Properly set up, it will also help hide any movement.

Rich M

WKR
Do you have any recommendations on wind checking devices (brands and so on)? I'm considering using hunters dust.
Wow! You've been a victim of the marketing end of the sportsman's industry.

Keep an eye on the Walmart and other end of season sales and get yer stuff there. Wind checker dust is just that. Some guys collect the fluffy seed pods of plants and use those (minus the seeds of course).

Drenalin

WKR
Your solid color clothing is fine (if it's quiet, and if it includes a layer that legitimately stops wind). You don't need lures or bait. You shouldn't put meat in plastic bags (pillow cases are fine for a budget option). If you've been backpacking for years, I imagine your existing overnight gear is fine for the occasional multi-day trip.

What you actually need to get started hunted is something to kill with (you've got that), clothing and boots to keep you comfortable (you probably have that), tools to process an animal if you kill one (sounds like you've got that), and a way to get the animal out (either pack it or drag it).

Some other things are nice to have. Something to sit on and keep your ass dry and warm. You might consider a rangefinder. Binos are helpful. A map, or phone app like OnX is great. Basic stuff in case of an emergency.

Some other things are a distraction from actual hunting. Like scent control products and anything that's supposed to lure a deer to you.

Once you have the most basic gear covered, you should focus on learning how to watch and play the wind, how to find deer, how to set up and not get busted, when you can move and when you can't. Spend time scouting, in fact, spend a lot of time scouting. Scout more than you hunt. Find deer and learn how they use an area, learn how they behave. Shoot your crossbow, or whatever other weapon, until it's second nature to you. Learn where you need to hit the animal for a clean kill. Most of what you "need" for hunting, you can't buy.

Macintosh

WKR
My advice, You dont need to buy anything. Forget the gear and focus your time and energy on prep that will actually help you. For wind checker, wait till august and collect 8 or 10 Milkweed pods, probably find them along many back roads, etc. Put them in a paper bag to dry. It is 150%, hands down, the absolute best windchecker on earth. Simply put one in a little ziplock baggie in your pocket and pull out a seed at a time and watch where the wind carries it. It is better than dust because you can watch it for as long as you can see it, so you get a much better sense of air currents and thermals a few feet away from you.
The only thing you need is a place to hunt and some scouting time. The thing to realize is you do more than half the hunting before you ever “set up” with your bow. Get some scouting time in now to learn where deer trails are, where you find rubs and scrapes from prior seasons, find likely bedding areas near food sources that will be good in-season, etc. You can literally find specific stand sites (ie sit right in this exact spot to watch this trail coming out of a thicket toward those oak trees). That is way easier than looking around for a spot in the dark on the opening morning of the season. Food sources change, movement patterns change especially as people start hunting, so you have to stay loose and you will end up doing some scouting in-season too, but if you go in with a basic plan first and only then adjust, you will be 1000% better off.