Budget Rifle setup

Liu_YS

FNG
I am new to hunting and looking to buy my first rifle. Any suggestions on good rifle and scope I can get for around $500 each?

I'm looking at hunting whitetail, mule deer, and possibly elk.

Thanks in advance.

bsnedeker

WKR
I don't know much about scopes at that price range, but I've been pretty happy with my Savage Axis rifle...lots of savage rifles under that price point. If you can stretch your budget just a TINY bit you absolutely cannot go wrong with a Tikka T3X which can be had for around 600. Personally I would go that route...the fit, finish, and function of that rifle are absolutely amazing for the price in my opinion.

As a newbie who I'm assuming hasn't shot rifle's a whole lot I would probably steer you towards a 6.5 creedmore as your caliber of choice. Recoil is very reasonable and ammo is plentiful.

Have fun and shoot a lot!

Superdoo

WKR
If you want to buy new, the mossberg patriot line gets pretty good reviews for a very low price tag. It will even come with a scope. Not a great one, but it’ll get you shooting.
Savage’s as stated above would be a good option too. Handle both and see which fits you better.

Welcome. Lots of options to choose from. Folks around here spend a lot (perhaps too much) money on gear So while their advice is solid, if you really want to stick to your budget, it may not apply.

savage axis, Mossberg and ruger American make package deals that would suit and are in that price range. I like the savage in that grouping. My one ruger American is ugly, feels cheaply made and shoots quite well.

used is another route. A tikka t3 is a hell of a fun and can be found well below your price point. Add a $100 3-9x or fixed power Nikon scope and you would have a good set up.

save some $ for ammo and practice. 270 would do it. 308 and 6.5 cm would be fine. Anything bigger and the bullets just cost more $$. for your use I wouldnt look at any caliber I couldn’t buy at Walmart or anything bigger than 30-06

last thought, I picked up a 30/30 lever gun a while back. It is a hell of a shooter with a low end 3-9x scope. I wouldn’t use it on a critter beyond 200 yards but it would make a heck of a hunting gun for a good price.

Superdoo

WKR
It would also be nice to know where you're planning on doing the majority of your hunting. Hunting the plains of ND requires longer shots in most cases. If your in the trees a lever gun is great!

False_Cast

Lil-Rokslider
Tikka T3x stainless 6.5cm (JRTXB382) can be found online for around $600. SWFA 6x42 MQ is $299... put a WTB in the classifieds and get one for even less. Sportsmatch rings.Nothing more is needed in the glass department. Unless you want to spend more, for less.

You’ll be leaps and bounds ahead of the vast majority of hunters. Practice.

Tksd

FNG
Spend the money on a Tikka... You will save by not having to work/buy a trigger for the Ruger.

Tikka T3x stainless 6.5cm (JRTXB382) can be found online for around $600. SWFA 6x42 MQ is $299... put a WTB in the classifieds and get one for even less. Sportsmatch rings.Nothing more is needed in the glass department. Unless you want to spend more, for less.

You’ll be leaps and bounds ahead of the vast majority of hunters. Practice.

i misread the original post and thought you were looking at $500 all in. I agree with the above. A tikka t3x (per 2020 updates) in stainless with an swfa scope is probably the best blend of value and performance that can be had for ~$1000 all in. With that combo you could hunt for a long, long, long time before you would ever need an update or upgrade.

Ranger 692

Lil-Rokslider
Tikka T3x in caliber of choice, DNZ game reaper scope mount/rings, Leupold VX3i scope. $1200ish

Have a stable of H&R single shots that have become my favorites. All shoot extremely well and leave plenty of cash left for good glass. I was so impressed with my 25-06 for accuracy (.5 MOA)I ended up adding .223, .308, 30-06, and 45-70 to the stable also. Actions have all been tight and bulletproof. 25-06 remains my favorite out of the herd and is the go-to for anything I chase in CO with a rifle. Only the .308 was a little finnicky on finding a load it really liked but then dialed right in.

Bought my vertically challenged (4'11") wife the youth .243 and it fits her perfectly and the inherent safety of the action was perfect for a new rifle hunter. That cute youth model also fits perfectly in the rear luggage of my ATV and makes a very easy-to-pack coyote gun with a forward mounted "scout style" scope for full sized folks.

I don't believe they currently offer anything in 6.5 line but between the 25-06, .270, and 30-06 there are some time proven and affordable options there that again leave cash on the table for increased practice and proficiency.

Always buy a hammer extension if you go H&R and use a scope.

H&R

OP
L

Liu_YS

FNG
Wow, I got a lot to chew on here. Thanks all for the input, I really appreciate everyone's time they took to comment.
Sounds like the best thing for me is to spend that little extra and get the Tikka T3x and spend a little less on the scope, maybe a used one.

I am planning on trying out hunting in any unit around the foothills of the Rockies or maybe a little deeper in if i get bold enough.

Appreciate the recommendations on the caliber too. I was wondering if i had to go with the .300 calibers or if something less would do. Its good to hear I can go with a smaller caliber and focus on the shooting without too much pain to the shoulder.

I'll let you know how it all goes.

I'm assuming your not looking at normal hunting ranges, 2-300 yards.
Savage, howa 1500, mossberg patriot, ruger american, and winchester xpr all have good reviews and should be within your price range.
Can't go wrong with 6.5 creedmoor, 7mm-08, 308.
For optics Leupold still makes great scopes, vx3i line is great for a set and forget option. I've never used vortex so can't comment there.

j_volt

WKR
I was in the same boat about a year ago. I watched Gunbroker for a couple months and got a new Tikka T3X Lite in 6.5CM for $465 including the FFL transfer. I put a Vortex Diamondback HP 4-16x42 that I picked up from Midway for $199 on sale. As a sporting clays lover, I have historically sucked at shooting rifles (hate recoil, love yanking the trigger, etc). This past weekend I was consistently hitting an 8 inch plate at 500 yards with the set up. For all in about $700, I love this gun. It treated me well on my antelope hunt last year, and I am taking it on both a Wyoming antelope hunt and a Montana mule deer hunt this fall.

Tikka T3x in caliber of choice, DNZ game reaper scope mount/rings, Leupold VX3i scope. $1200ish

I have nearly this exact rig in 6.5 CM. Apart from maybe wanting a bit more bang for elk, I don’t think I will need anything more for a long, long time.

TxxAgg

WKR
Not a bad combination either. I've heard a lot of good things about the Meopros, and Doug often has them on sale.

I have two set up exactly the same.

Attachments

• 0D032BDC-9B46-4157-9C92-96F9C33B787D.jpeg
    0D032BDC-9B46-4157-9C92-96F9C33B787D.jpeg
    415.2 KB · Views: 30