Budget rifle advice

T3clay

Lil-Rokslider
Hi everyone looking for a budget rifle for a family member thats coming in a Texas hog hunt with me. Looking at Ruger Americans, Savage axis, Remington 783, Mossberg patriot.

If anyone has any input on these rifles I would appreciate some guidance. We're looking to get into something for as cheap as possible without buying junk, other than this hog hunt it's possible he may come along on a antalope or deer hunt someday.

hodgeman

WKR
In that price category, the rifles will be more alike than not. That said, I've used Ruger Americans a couple of times with good effect. Pretty decent rifles for the moderate cash outlay.

With the end of the year, I'd buy the one I could get the best deal. A local retailer was running 783s for $199 just before Christmas.

fmyth

WKR
I bought a TC Compass with a Vortex Crossfire 3x9 in .300 Win Mag for under $300 (after rebate) shipped to my FFL. It shoots sub MOA at 100 yards off the bench. I carried it for 10 days in WY this October and shot a spike at 150 yards in the shoulder with 180 grain Remington core locks. It dropped dead without taking a step. The bolt feels a little sloppy to me but it shoots cheap ammo sub moa and survived a fall into the Little Snake river with no damage and maintained its zero. It's cheap, heavy and ugly but it did the job. Now I am hooked and am on the hunt for a nice rifle, not because I "need" one but because I think I might enjoy a lighter rifle. The TC will become my back up rifle.

gpkhill2

FNG
I've seen a few Savage axis that shoot excellent. I have a couple Americans that are solid guns for what they are. Both shot sub MOA. But I like the fit and finish of the Howas and the Tikkas over the Savage and the Rugers. If you don't mind spending the extra money

howl

WKR
The Ruger and the Mossberg are the better built pieces. The Ruger has the safety in the correct spot. The Mossberg has a better stock.

Quality is good enough to buy based on personal preference for whatever reason. These econo models are getting high enough that quality used rifles are looking better.

wyosam

WKR
Browning AB3 is cheap, and while the feel isn't as nice as the a-bolt/xbolt the one I have shoots very, very well. Like better than my Tikka well. I think it is the least picky rifle I've owned. Almost everything I put through it is .5-.75 MOA consistently.

EmperorMA

WKR
Winchester XPR is super-accurate and not picky. Excellent barrel, trigger, recoil pad and stock. Mine shoots a bunch of factory loads of various weights sub-MOA. A couple at 1/2 MOA. The cream of the budget rifles, for sure.

Next choice would be Browning AB3 then Ruger American.

Last edited:

Pn8hall

WKR
Out of those rifles mentioned I would say the Ruger american. I have a buddy who is far from an expert shot and he owns one (30-06) and can consistently punch 8" steel plate at 500-600 yards. I have shot it quite a bit and its a tack driver for the money. I know steel plates is not the same as punching the bullseye but for a real world hunting rifle hitting 8'' steel plates should be a downed animal for most game. My 2 cents at least.

I have a an Axis in 223 that will do one ragged hole @ 100 yards. I have another Axis (stainless) in 6.5 Creedmoor that will do about 0.5 MOA. They may not win a beauty contest but they will definitely be a strong contender in a shooting contest.

Blakelok

FNG
Get the Savage Axis II (not original Axis), you can usually find really good deals on them. They shoot well, and have good triggers.

I bought two Savages last year. A 10T in 6.5 and an Axis youth in 223. The 10T had to go back to Savage because the barrel looked like it had rail road tracks in it, but the stock and trigger were pretty good. The Axis is pretty ok, but the stock is cheaply made and the trigger is terrible. I would look at the American personally

bruceride

FNG
I've had great luck with the Ruger Americans that I have owned. Good shooters and seemed nicer than the Axis I handled

ToeJoe

FNG
I bought a TC Compass with a Vortex Crossfire 3x9 in .300 Win Mag for under $300 (after rebate) shipped to my FFL. It shoots sub MOA at 100 yards off the bench. I carried it for 10 days in WY this October and shot a spike at 150 yards in the shoulder with 180 grain Remington core locks. It dropped dead without taking a step. The bolt feels a little sloppy to me but it shoots cheap ammo sub moa and survived a fall into the Little Snake river with no damage and maintained its zero. It's cheap, heavy and ugly but it did the job. Now I am hooked and am on the hunt for a nice rifle, not because I "need" one but because I think I might enjoy a lighter rifle. The TC will become my back up rifle.

Glad to hear you've had good luck with your Compass. I too picked one up earlier this year (in .270) but have yet to shoot it. Fingers crossed.

clockworkgator

Lil-Rokslider
Winchester XPR is super-accurate and not picky. Excellent barrel, trigger, recoil pad and stock. Mine shoots a bunch of factory loads of various weights sub-MOA. A couple at 1/2 MOA. The cream of the budget rifles, for sure.

Next choice would be Browning AB3 then Ruger American.

+1

The Ruger Americans shoot so good for the price. Worth a look in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flatgo

Lil-Rokslider
Take a look at the mauser m18 europtic has been having crazy good deal on them. from reviews they look like a really solid rifle for the money.

howl

WKR
Good point about sales and such. Saw T3s listed on gun.deals for under $500 the other day.