Budget range finder?

JStol5

WKR
+1 for a vortex ranger with a red display. I wouldn’t spend money on any of their other optics but for archery hunting it works great and is tough.

Racinray

FNG
Picked up a 1400 leupold last year best $ 199 I’ve spent .
Great battery life, adjustable red lighting .

OP
B

BLJ

WKR

Ordered one of these today. I thought it’s worth a shot for the price. Read some good reviews and Athlon and Cameraland have both been very solid for me in the past.
When I can get it out and test function I’ll report back. Thanks to everyone for the info and help.

The link doesn’t seem to work. Here’s a screenshot.

4DEA7F04-E040-43B7-BA3F-84B1A31D02F4.png

cuttingedge

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Leupold and it reads about 2 yards long. This won't matter if you sight in to it and only use it and not known yardage.

I sight in at a local range that has 10 to 80 yard accurately placed targets. When I shoot the 3D practice range, I have to add 2 yards to every reading or I shoot low. I have also compared it to a couple of friends rangefinders and come up with the same thing.

I am probably going to go with the Bushnell Broadhead archery specific as a replacement.

OP
B

BLJ

WKR
Tested the new Athlon yesterday against a trusted Bushnell. Both were within a yard of each other to 1265. The Bushnell seems to be more forgiving going through some brush to try and range a deer. It’s possible that I just need to get used to the new unit as well.
Way smaller than the Bushnell which is a big plus for me. One handed operation is now possible.

DanimalW

WKR
I bought an sig kilo off Amazon for about $120. Compact and easy to use for archery. Not sure how great it would work beyond a few hundred yards for a rifle though. I like it. Most seem overpriced for what they do.

OP
B

BLJ

WKR
Wanted to update. I couldn’t get past the blue hue of the Athlon. Ordered a Vortex Ranger 1800 from AA Optics. Way better to my eyes. And through AA it was the same money.

Liking the Vortex and AA Optics are definitely GTG.

WBrim

WKR
I had a Leupold for a couple years, but it was a cheaper model with the black display. Those black readouts disappear really bad with a dark backdrop.
I’ve since used the vortex 1800 ranger, as mentioned above, and been pretty happy with it.

I see those vortex for very reasonable prices in the classifieds fairly often.

Lost my bushnell arc1200 one season hauling a deer out. Bought a Vortex Ranger 1300 and it has been my primary since. My backup is that old bushnell! I found it the next season and simply changed the battery and it worked. Some chew marks on it now add character.

I have a cheap 100$ halo range finder I’ve had for years. It reads 2 - 4 yards longer than my buddies vortex’s but my sight tape is made for mine so I guess it works. Readings get erratic on certain color 3d targets. Definitely gonna be one the next things to get upgraded.

WBrim

WKR
I always lean vortex because of the warranty. Stuff has always severed me well also
Have you ever used the warranty? Or like to have the coverage, just in case?
I have multiple vortex items, but never have needed the warranty - but it’s cool to know it’s there.

CRBTBB711

FNG
I have ever needed
Have you ever used the warranty? Or like to have the coverage, just in case?
I have multiple vortex items, but never have needed the warranty - but it’s cool to know it’s there.
I have not need to use the warranty. I have never heard anything bad about their warranty process or them not wanting to cover stuff. I know people who have used it and said it was pretty darn easy and they were good to work with