Budget friendly rain gear

KY_coop

Lil-Rokslider
Been looking into getting some good rain gear that will last me a while. But for what I do it seems the 400-500$ sets of rain gear is crazy..200$ is about my top for the set. Have been looking at the kings xkg set and the cabelas space rain set. Anyone have some feedback on one of those products? Would be open to other suggestions as well. Would like it to be lightweight/uninsulated so I can wear it anytime. Also I'm not sure about the fit of some companies. I'm about 250lbs with 38" waist. Dont want to waist money on something that will fit to tight.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I'm 6'3" >200 lbs, surprised at how much I like the Space Rain. Packs up nice and they're light enough that I don't notice carrying them much (keep on my fishing boat for the summer months, then take hunting if needed).

I wore them recently on a 12 mile hike, maybe 2,500' climb in the pouring rain... they were stuffy as saran wrap once I was climbing, but kept me dry from the rain at least. I have sage brush on my property so don't get much rain or use out of these, but I can't say for sure that they're any different than some of the high-end stuff.

Also hear of some folks using the cheap frog toggs on the cheap end of the spectrum. Maybe find someone here from western WA, OR, or SE AK, though I'm onboard with Space Rain.

adamm88

WKR
I had a set of scentlok drencher that was 40-50 dollars off ebay, it worked great for 3-4 years, it had a brushed face so it was quiet in a treestand, only reason I switched up was the zippers started to go on my set, I probably wore mine 10-15 days last season due to the monsoon every day i hunted. Alittle heavy if your weight concerned person but it always kept my dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I"ve used the Frogg Toggs a bunch. Bass fishing mostly. And though they do work fairly well, you can't count on them in my opinion. Can't tell you how many I have busted the crotch out of. So that point alone, Id highly suggest you don't go with the FTs. Can't speak to that others you've mentioned.

Patagonia torrent shell is good light stuff and I use the jacket. Packs inside it’s pocket and has pit zips. Comes in dark green too.

OP
K

KY_coop

Lil-Rokslider
I too have used the frogg togg stuff while fishing and am.not a fan for the same reason

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Jimss

WKR
I would highly recommend Marmot Precip. They are so cheap at Sierra Trading and other websites that I bought 2 sets of pants/jackets. The jackets have pitzips which is a "must have" in rain jackets or you'll get wet from the inside out. I've used and abused my precip for many years on Alaska, Colo, and Wyo trips. I'll stick my head out and say the Precip are a lot more dependable than Cabelas brand raingear! I use my Sitka camo raingear most of the time while hunting but use Marmot when scouting, fishing, or other situations.

If you are sitting in a boat or camp in a downpour I would also highly recommend Helly Hanson with pitzips. They don't breath but are fantastic when not doing anything too strenuous in rain for days and days.

Florida Bow Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I think for the cash, Cabelas MTO50 is tough to beat.

Check it out. Quiet, waterproof breathe able.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kotaman

WKR
Less Expensive Rain Gear and Marmot Precip go hand in hand. IMO, there is not a better set up for the money. Now, that doesn't mean I think it's the greatest rain gear on earth, but the best value in rain gear for sure.

ChrisAU

WKR
I believe I got my OR Helium II jacket for around $100, and its 6.something oz, and performed great the one day I needed it.

If you are looking for something a little more robust consider .mil goretex. A set of Multicam could be had for around $200. If you did woodland or UCP patterned ECWCS they can be bought for much less. Solid gear that will keep you dry but not exactly the lightest stuff available. For you size go xxl top and xl bottom at least.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Lol. It was wore out!!!! 😂

100% my fault. Somewhere between 15-20 seasons on those things before they delaminated.

Re-ordered same impertech bibs.

Last edited: