Budget Backpacking Tent

gallion_t

FNG
Hi all,

I am looking go get into backpack camping and hunting. Over the last couple years I have pieced together all of the gear except for a tent. Ive decided to start with a fully enclosed 2 person tent as it will be mostly solo trips and occasionally my girlfriend joining.

Since I have never done this before im not looking for a cross between light weight, reliable, and affordable. Thinking under $250 new or used.

I have been eyeing the kelty late start 2 as it seems to be one of the lighter options in the price range and has great reviews. Are there any others out there I should be considering or higher end ones that I could get used in this price? I've been watching the classifieds but it seems the top of the line stuff is more common there.

Rob5589

WKR
I use a Kelty Salida 2 and have no complaints. I would call it a 1.5 person unless you have two smaller people on standard size pads. Lots of room for 1, large pad, and gear, however. Under 200 dollars.

OP
G

gallion_t

FNG
Thanks for the reply. I believe the late start replaced the salida as it seems to be discontinued and they have similar specs. At $160 it seems to have some great features and reasonable price.

JRMiller

WKR
For a few ounces lighter than the kelty and half the price could look at a RCP Trekker 3.
Will have more space too, plenty of room for two hunters with all packs/equipment inside.

OP
G

gallion_t

FNG
Thanks. I haven't looked at that one yet. How does it do in weather?

Nitsua

FNG
Take a look at the alps mountaineering mystique. It is a stout tent for the price. It’s not as light as a trekking pole tent, but it hasn’t let me down. I would personally steer clear of trekking pole tents. The extra pound or two of weight is well worth the peace of mind of not having to worry about coming back to camp to a collapsed tent and a drenched sleeping bag... ask me how I know...

OP
G

gallion_t

FNG
Thanks everyone. I'll take a look at all of these. Sounds like a few good options.

87TT

WKR
In backpacking they used to say, cheap, lightweight, and quality/comfort. You can have two out of the three. If you are going to be solo, get a two person tent. If you are taking your GF, you could get by with that but she would probably be happier with a three person. Especially with any kind of weather. If she is new at camping./ backpacking, you don't want to turn her off to it. Another thing is pack size. Or how much room it will take in your pack, Those "min weight" specs are usually without stakes and stuff. Better to go by max or packaged when comparing.

OP
G

gallion_t

FNG
I've only been looking at max weight for the tents figuring stakes and rain flies will be going all if the time.

I've read that tents are like gun safes, buy bigger than what they're rated for. While a 3 person would obviously be better for when theres both of us the extra weight associated with it isn't worth it to me when I would be going solo. Plus if she's coming along it would be during the summer when bad weather is far less likely.

Per earlier suggestions I've looked into the Sierra design clip flashlight 2 and that seems like a really good option. Several ounces less and a pretty similar foot print size to the Kelty I have been eyeing.

Love all of the suggestions so far. Its really opened my eyes to different options or brands I hadn't considered yet. Keep them coming!

87TT

WKR
If you can keep the weight down and swing it, get a two person with two doors. Even with one person it's nice for stowing gear. And you get more vestibules. She will thank you.

JNDEER

WKR
Big Agnes seed house tents or any updated version there after will give you everything you want. You will need a 3 person tent if you want to fit two people and some gear comfortably. A 2 person tent can function for two people- but all gear, boots and bags must go in the vestibule.

JRMiller

WKR
Thanks. I haven't looked at that one yet. How does it do in weather?
It does great in high winds but i have not has this one in heavy rain yet.
I do use the trekker 1 (sort of a one man version of the 3) quite often and it has done really well in all weather no complaints.

OP
G

gallion_t

FNG
Another good option. I like the foot print and the weight is great.

Im not 100% sold on the trekking pole tents yet though. I dont really like the idea of not being able to have my trekking poles if I need them without having to take my tent down.

I have this one and used it last elk season in Idaho during a very wet and rainey rifle season, worked perfectly and was affordable. I never had any condensation issues, nor did anything get wet inside. I'm a big guy and it fit me and all my gear inside decently.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210415-183647.png
    Screenshot_20210415-183647.png
    434.7 KB · Views: 107