bubble level + reticle/rifle cant

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
The third axis idea would seem to hold water given the model level the OP referenced has a pivoting adjustment screw setup to adjust it.
It would seem there is potential for It to be non-perpendicular to the axis of the rifle/scope.

I just watched the video and they didnt refrence a 3rd axis adjustment.

I fail to see the problem. point the rifle at the sky at a 45 degree angle or greater. is it level? does it show level? If it isnt you have a 3rd axis problem. If it is or close it was you.

3rd axis is checked by many people in archery. Its quite simple.

I just watched the video and they didnt refrence a 3rd axis adjustment.

I fail to see the problem. point the rifle at the sky at a 45 degree angle or greater. is it level? does it show level? If it isnt you have a 3rd axis problem. If it is or close it was you.

3rd axis is checked by many people in archery. Its quite simple.
I didn’t mean to imply it has a 3rd axis adjustment, just that it has a pivot point that could potentially cause a 3rd axis issue.

I agree it would be an easy thing to test.

Ahhh
I watched the video from MT. I think he missing a key of importance.
Wouldn’t it be a waste of time to rotate the reticle to a plumb line if your action is not level to begin with?
I use a Wheeler leveling kit and make sure all is level prior to any scope / bubble install and then verify
Works for me and I have no issues

I have several levels and tools but tend to center a plumb line to the bore by looking down the bore then set reticle aligned with the plumb line.
Cheap, easy and accomplishes the same end all the fancy levels do.

Fire_9

WKR
Ahhh
I watched the video from MT. I think he missing a key of importance.
Wouldn’t it be a waste of time to rotate the reticle to a plumb line if your action is not level to begin with?
I use a Wheeler leveling kit and make sure all is level prior to any scope / bubble install and then verify
Works for me and I have no issues
I don’t level my action. I level my reticle to how I naturally hold the rifle. Some guys will say this is wrong but I believe it gives a guy the best chance at shooting with a plumb reticle

I definitely had to cant to get level. Thats why it was weird enough that I posted on here.

You did not address if the angle of the bubble housing was parallel with the angle of the reticle. Either the bubble level is set up properly to match your reticle, it isn't set up properly, or it's defective. Easy to test at home by looking through the rifle at up or down angles, have you done that?

Harvey_NW

WKR
Nobody likely nailed it, like 3rd axis leveling on a bow. This is a consideration as the bubble can be centered when it is horizontal, but is not accurate when pointed up or down because the level tube is not perfectly perpendicular to the bore.
Maybe I'm missing something, but assuming everything is machined correctly and within tolerance, how would the level tube not be perpendicular to the bore?

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Maybe I'm missing something, but assuming everything is machined correctly and within tolerance, how would the level tube not be perpendicular to the bore?

Let me see if I can be descriptive enough.

If your scope rings screws or picatinny rail arent straight in line with your barrel. If they were offset. Like one on the left side and one set on the right. I feel it would have to be visibly screwed up bad to matter or you would have to be shooting darn near straight down or up. Meaning the gun pointed that way not your body on a slope that severe.

This article describes 3rd axis well

My money is still on optical illusion.

Harvey_NW

WKR
If your scope rings screws or picatinny rail arent straight in line with your barrel. If they were offset. Like one on the left side and one set on the right. I feel it would have to be visibly screwed up bad to matter or you would have to be shooting darn near straight down or up. Meaning the gun pointed that way not your body on a slope that severe.
Right, I understand the concept but if your scope tube isn't aligned with your bore your POI would shift increasingly as you shoot further distances. The 3rd axis on a bow sight is adjustable to correct imperfections, and because the sight protrudes out in front of the riser. I would expect quality components of a rifle setup would be machined within tight enough tolerances you wouldn't have that issue, or you would be able to see the bubble tube and housing don't look square to the scope tube.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Right, I understand the concept but if your scope tube isn't aligned with your bore your POI would shift increasingly as you shoot further distances. The 3rd axis on a bow sight is adjustable to correct imperfections, and because the sight protrudes out in front of the riser. I would expect quality components of a rifle setup would be machined within tight enough tolerances you wouldn't have that issue, or you would be able to see the bubble tube and housing don't look square to the scope tube.

Correct this is what I agree with and am saying as well.

Flatgo

Lil-Rokslider
I would trust the level you reticle looks canted because of the angles your shooting. I didn’t some practice shooting last year from one side hill to another at 600 yds. It looked like my reticle was canted at 20 degrees, but I was making hits just fine. Shooting angles especially if you’re not on a flat surface can really mess with your head

MattB

WKR
scopes have right/left adjustments which allows the point of aim to be moved without moving the scope tube. That could conceivably result in the reticle/point of aim being parallel to the bore but not the scope tube.